Trying to justify keeping my Honda Pioneer

wapitibob

WKR
I have to use those little car ramps to get the front of the quad tilted up so I can close the tailgate on my 6-1/2” truck bed.

OP
Customweld
I have to use those little car ramps to get the front of the quad tilted up so I can close the tailgate on my 6-1/2” truck bed.
I have an older Yamaha, it fits pretty tight in the Tacoma with the tailgate up. Those Polaris machines are a lot bigger than the Yammi's

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'll have a 50" one soon enough. For trapping they make a ton of sense, and I can run my lines driving straight from the house just like I do on my quad right now. The wider ones just don't have as many trails up here to use them on to justify them. Whether they're paid off or not, a piece of equipment not being used is money taken away from other things

hunterjmj

WKR
Just ordered a Ranger for plowing and some recreation with the family. I won't use it hunting since I load the pickup with the wall tent and stuff and basically hunt from camp. I still have sticker shock but the cost of used is crazy too.

Okhotnik

WKR
I owe a couple thousand on it. The leftover would be put back in to the bank. Most of our Forest Service trails are 50” and under. I definitely don’t fall under that. Idaho Fish and Game has their own off road rules and all of the units that I hunt have those restrictions.
The UTV market is crazy up here and if a guy was going to get out, now would be the time to do it.
I have pioneer 550 I purchased last year because it meets those requirements. Love it

I have a 2007 Honda Rubicon and had a 2014 Polaris Ranger. Ended up selling the Ranger, buying a pretty beefy 400ish$ wagon off eBay with a 2” hitch and a 2” ball on the atv and I prefer this set up. I take the wagon to camp and leave it there, hook it up if I need it. The Rubi can get in and out of heavily wooded areas better than the Ranger could. I don’t miss the Ranger in the least.

I use the rubi probably 6 days a week either working or running around the property. I do garage store it, no lift/snorkels or anything like that, never mudding. Just work and hunt. In 14 years, I’ve changed the battery, 1 wheel bearing and I’m about to change the starter in a few days.

I don’t regret selling the Ranger. I don’t even think about selling the Rubi. If you have an atv, it would be easier to sell it for sure.

I bought my Pioneer 1000 in 2019 for $11,900.00. I put a winch roof and windshield for $1200.00ish
I sold it last month in tow days for $12,500.00
I had about 1200 miles.
‘if your not using it I’d sell it cuss you’ll probably never get this kind of money again for them. I’m not saying the economy is crashing but eventually I would think people are going to have to stop spending and or manufactures are going to catch up and people won’t buy used As much.

Now if you are using it by all means keep it

tdhanses

WKR
I bought my Pioneer 1000 in 2019 for $11,900.00. I put a winch roof and windshield for $1200.00ish
I sold it last month in tow days for $12,500.00
I had about 1200 miles.
‘if your not using it I’d sell it cuss you’ll probably never get this kind of money again for them. I’m not saying the economy is crashing but eventually I would think people are going to have to stop spending and or manufactures are going to catch up and people won’t buy used As much.

Now if you are using it by all means keep it
Hate to say it but you could of sold it for $16k+.

Reactions: AZ8

Wvroach

WKR
If you owe on it and can't pay it off right away I'd sell it. If you have the expendable funds then keep it if you want.

Prices are starting to drop on rec vehicles and trucks in my area as inflation rises people are selling off the things they can't afford. The small used car lots that were empty the last 2 years are all filling up now, mostly with trucks and SUVs.

DuckDogDr

WKR
I love my Honda pioneer. Wait times for new ones are ridiculous. When I talked to my dealer .. he told me expect 4-5 months..mine actually took 9 to come in. He told me I had better be glad I got mine when I did. He is a small town dealer so not high on the allotment list and had no idea when his next ones would come.

Since I’ve gotten mine. I’ve found more and more uses for it. In addition to my all duck hunting shenanigans it makes working my bee hives so much easier

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I have a little honda rancher 350 with about 1900 miles on it. for what I paid for that thing it is going to save me probalby 3x that amount of money of wear and tear on the front end and other parts of my truck. It isn't fun to ride but its bullet proof and gets me into plenty of 50" or less motorized stuff........ Just sucks I cant bring the kiddos

If you've had time to learn for real if it gets used for your personal hunt/outdoor time or not, then it seems like you've figured it out. While I do enjoy my outdoor gear, if you're happy with your current use without it then I hear you about reducing our "things".

I use mine a ton for normal forest road driving to access points, but that's because my truck's a 3/4ton duramax. So while it's capable is not so comfortable or quick on potholed, rough forest roads.

That all said, with the cost of sxs being so high, I've wondered their value vs. an older Tacoma with investment in suspension tuned specifically for forest roads/snow. SXS should still be faster and smoother, but...by how much, not to mention the comfort and convenience driving on streets, enclosed cab, etc...

Good luck.

OP
Customweld
If you've had time to learn for real if it gets used for your personal hunt/outdoor time or not, then it seems like you've figured it out. While I do enjoy my outdoor gear, if you're happy with your current use without it then I hear you about reducing our "things".

I use mine a ton for normal forest road driving to access points, but that's because my truck's a 3/4ton duramax. So while it's capable is not so comfortable or quick on potholed, rough forest roads.

That all said, with the cost of sxs being so high, I've wondered their value vs. an older Tacoma with investment in suspension tuned specifically for forest roads/snow. SXS should still be faster and smoother, but...by how much, not to mention the comfort and convenience driving on streets, enclosed cab, etc...

Good luck.
I love playing around with it, it's definitely handy around FS roads. In my part of Idaho, there isn't much for designated atv/utv trails. Those that are, are 50" and under. I live about 45 minutes from the forest and 15 minutes from BLM. I need to trailer it to the FS roads, my Tacoma is perfectly capable of driving those. With the added feature of XM radio and AC (Honda Pioneers are toasty in the cab). As I've gotten older, I've started to wonder "do I own these things or do they own me?" I might also mention my wife loathes riding in it, so there is that aspect as well.

CorbLand

WKR
One thing I always think of with the SXS versus using your pickup is how bad do you need your pickup? If you slide your pickup off the road into a tree and its your DD, you are out your vehicle while it gets fixed. If you do that to you SXS, you still have your DD.

I hate crappy roads in the winter so I dont like to hunt late season due to the potential for snow and trying to get around. If I had a SXS, that would be a different story.

My SXS hasn't moved since last elk season. I don't have any plans to move it until this elk season either. I would not sell it though as it has its purpose and saves me from beating up my truck.

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
I bow hunt 5 months a year at my deer lease. My hunting area is a little over a mile from camp. I could get a 4wheeler but it would be inconvenient with all the corn, tools, etc I use daily.
The other 7 months it sits in my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I love playing around with it, it's definitely handy around FS roads. In my part of Idaho, there isn't much for designated atv/utv trails. Those that are, are 50" and under. I live about 45 minutes from the forest and 15 minutes from BLM. I need to trailer it to the FS roads, my Tacoma is perfectly capable of driving those. With the added feature of XM radio and AC (Honda Pioneers are toasty in the cab). As I've gotten older, I've started to wonder "do I own these things or do they own me?" I might also mention my wife loathes riding in it, so there is that aspect as well.
It’s pretty easy to solve the heat in the cab issue, i added some reflexive insulation under the seat and on the underside of the engine cover, then added a 4” bilge fan under the seat blowing on the headers, i now have no heat issues with my pioneer.

I thought in ID you could make them street legal, i know many NR get ID tags so they can run them at Moab.

I added fox shocks to mine and it’s a smooth ride now, factory shocks suck big time. I also have 30” tires now.

072F21D7-ADCF-44C7-B5C4-69D82E89F02E.jpeg

OP
Customweld
It’s pretty easy to solve the heat in the cab issue, i added some reflexive insulation under the seat and on the underside of the engine cover, then added a 4” bilge fan under the seat blowing on the headers, i now have no heat issues with my pioneer.

I thought in ID you could make them street legal, i know many NR get ID tags so they can run them at Moab.
Realistically anything goes in the smaller towns in Idaho. As long as you have insurance and a ohv plate nobody hassles you. I’ve got the heat shield in mine, the heat is super nice on December elk hunts!