TSA approved bow case

IL Red

FNG
I will be flying west to bow hunt this fall, any recommendations for a TSA approved case? Something I can pack a sidearm in with as well?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Definitely interested. Flying to alberta this fall and im centering on the plano field locker. Any input is appreciated.

scp

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve flown the Plano All Weather case all over the country without an issue. It’s not the cheapest, but it’s not just a case—it’s luggage (and good luggage is never cheap). I’ve carried up to a 35ATA bow in it with room to spare, 10 arrows, and it also carried most of my hunting clothes, too (which also doubles as extra padding). I use an SKB case for flying rifles, and it works great, but this Plano case works very well. It’s as strong as you could ever need, and it’s noticeably cheaper than an SKB.

I moved away from pelican rifle cases due to weight and cost. Became an SKB fan.

I bought the skb iseries double bow case sight unseen from amazon thinking it would hold my 34” inch Hoyt plus arrows, etc. with room for other gear, or two bows if needed. I was right and then some. The thing is a huge. It works but it is a major pia to travel with.

If I were doing it over, I would probably buy something smaller.

I have a newer skb single bow case that worked well flying last year. Has room to stuff additional items as well, plenty of room to have a firearm in there as well.
Most airport staff thought it was a firearm in there last year.

I went a totally different route. Three times I flew to hunt last year and I'm happy with my decision. I use a Legend case, which is hard on one side and soft on the others. It is similar to the Sitka Nomad, except that the Legend is cheaper and is specifically made to carry a bow. The reason I chose it over a hard case is because there is so little room in the hard case and airlines charge $50 or so for extra bags. Overall the Legend ended up being a money saver. You can pack a sidearm in any bag - as long as it's in its own small case.

With a big hard case you're going to get searched more because it just looks like it has guns. While the Legend looks like more normal luggage. Also, the Legend isn't as likely to get oversize charges. So less hassle in the airport.

No, I don't work for Legend. I bought mine in case anybody is wondering :)

I'll second the Legend case. I transitioned from a hard SKB case and the Legend is bigger, lighter and still holds two bows. I've only traveled once with it so far, but I feel like it is a good option.

fire652

WKR
I’ve used skb for years. Actually 14 years and I use it sometimes twice a year. It finally broke this past spring but I could not be happier with it. Got a new skb case and I like it even more then my other one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went a totally different route. Three times I flew to hunt last year and I'm happy with my decision. I use a Legend case, which is hard on one side and soft on the others. It is similar to the Sitka Nomad, except that the Legend is cheaper and is specifically made to carry a bow. The reason I chose it over a hard case is because there is so little room in the hard case and airlines charge $50 or so for extra bags. Overall the Legend ended up being a money saver. You can pack a sidearm in any bag - as long as it's in its own small case.

With a big hard case you're going to get searched more because it just looks like it has guns. While the Legend looks like more normal luggage. Also, the Legend isn't as likely to get oversize charges. So less hassle in the airport.

No, I don't work for Legend. I bought mine in case anybody is wondering :)

Can you put up a link to your legend case? Curious which version you use. Thanks

OP
I

IL Red

FNG
Is the contents well protected in that legends case? I like concept, and all the room for extras...... Baggage handler's can be brutal, any worries about damage from y'all that use the legend's case??

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
Also interested.

It seems hard to go wrong with SKB/Pelican but definitely intrigued by the legend and the sitka nomad concepts.

I imagine they'd be fine from drops/being tossed but I'd still be worried about baggage handlers stacking stuff on top of em?

Worth looking at a Cabelas Ripcord XL rolling duffel as well. $159, in Jan '18, huge and holds a couple of compounds, arrows, quiver, Muck Boots, Kifaru Reckoning, all my hunting clothes etc. I fill it to 49#s and despite being oversize, haven't had an issue. Going into the far north of Canada, I've put 70#s in it. Tough enough and only weighs 9#s or so empty. Good luck!

TheCougar

WKR
I really like the look of that Legends case. I was 2 days away from purchasing an SKB 42” double bow case for my travels this year. I can get the SKB for about $100 cheaper than the Legend with airline cover, so now I have a decision to make. For those of you who have travelled with the Legend 44 and the larger SKB bow cases, have you every been hit up for oversize luggage? That’s what steered me away from the Nomad - that thing is yuuuuge and I’m pretty sure it’s going to get charged every trip. Any ways to avoid this? I’ve been thinking about throwing a single golf club in there and calling it a golf bag, which exempts it from oversize charges.

fwafwow

WKR
+1 for the SKB, but I don't have any experience with the other models (although I have a Plano for just long guns). I have the Ultimate (this model - http://skbcases.com/sports/sku.php?cat=12&pid=179). FWIW, I love this case and I've taken it on two recent trips. It is very substantial, and I have *zero* concerns about handling. I was able to put in all of my archery gear (arrows, release, etc.) in the bottom, along with some other stuff (knife, flashlight, headlamp and some smaller clothing items) with the bow in the upper half. I had to remove my stabilizer (I shoot a Hoyt RX-1 Ultra) but was able to leave my sight on. Doubt I could have put two bows in there, even without the box/tray in the bottom, given the sights. Note, if you happen to take Uber from the airport, you may have an issue if you are picked up in a tiny car.

As others have mentioned, the TSA rules differ for a firearm, although everyone will assume your bow case contains a gun. I've recently decided that I will probably put a pistol in my bow case (without a separate locking case inside) so that I don't have to deal with the hassle of having someone call me to ask for my keys when they want to inspect the case. (I used TSA approved locks on a hunt - when I didn't have a firearm - and there was a problem with them not working. With a firearm, you have to use a lock that IS NOT a TSA lock, and you give them the keys for the initial inspection, then keep them with YOU.)

I have not had any issues with charges for oversize luggage with my SKB monster, but I also have pretty high status on my airline. I've heard others (on AT) say that if you tell the agent it is golf or fishing equipment (obviously you can't do that if you have a firearm inside), then you are less likely to have an oversize luggage charge. I would, however, make sure that you weigh your case before you get to the airport to make sure you don't exceed the weight limit.