TSA approved bow case

For those of you who have travelled with the Legend 44 and the larger SKB bow cases, have you every been hit up for oversize luggage? That’s what steered me away from the Nomad - that thing is yuuuuge and I’m pretty sure it’s going to get charged every trip.

I have the Legend 40 as well as the Double bow SKB and haven't been hit with oversize charges with either, but have had the SKB overweight a few times. From what I've seen, they are more worried about weight than size.

I have also traveled with the Cabela's rolling duffel with my bow in the bottom, but it is a little short for some of the new bows and since my bag lost a wheel, I haven't used it in some time.

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
SKB has treated me well and held up very well. The Pelicans look to be of good quality also. Never had one though

I have the SKB, but it's not the double case, it's the single case for parallel limb bows:

https://smile.amazon.com/SKB-Inject...8HWHC96V5XG&psc=1&refRID=K3QAN42MA8HWHC96V5XG

I didn't like how the double case could potentially bend arrow fletchings, I'm pretty particular about those vanes being straight.

I like my SKB case, have put a sidearm inside it and I like the special attention it gets when I have that pistol in there. Just feels like I can expect to see my bow on the other side when I land.

I intend to cut out some of the foam on the lid side to allow for greater storage. I also intend to make some custom foam to allow me to use this same case for a barreled action and stock, then just assemble at destination.

I have never been dinged for oversize baggage with this case, one reason why I went with it. Some of the others out there are even 0.5" over the limits.

dixon4420

FNG
plano all weather has been pretty good for most everything i needed so far. got it for just over $60 too so maybe thats why i think it works good.

jspradley

WKR
As others have mentioned, the TSA rules differ for a firearm, although everyone will assume your bow case contains a gun. I've recently decided that I will probably put a pistol in my bow case (without a separate locking case inside) so that I don't have to deal with the hassle of having someone call me to ask for my keys when they want to inspect the case. (I used TSA approved locks on a hunt - when I didn't have a firearm - and there was a problem with them not working. With a firearm, you have to use a lock that IS NOT a TSA lock, and you give them the keys for the initial inspection, then keep them with YOU.)

IIRC those cheap H&K flare guns are considered firearms for TSA purposes and will serve your purpose unless you just wanted to carry a real gun...

EDIT: I double checked that's not the case anymore... forget I said anything... carry on! :censored:

Last edited:
I've looked at buying the smallest cheapest lightest pistol possible just to stuff into my bow case so I can get that special TSA treatment. I'd even prefer the part (receiver?) of the pistol that is legally considered the firearm and just use that. If anyone can recommend something I'd appreciate it. Currently using a pistol I'd rather not if I can buy a 6 oz $50 part that does the same thing.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I've looked at buying the smallest cheapest lightest pistol possible just to stuff into my bow case so I can get that special TSA treatment. I'd even prefer the part (receiver?) of the pistol that is legally considered the firearm and just use that. If anyone can recommend something I'd appreciate it. Currently using a pistol I'd rather not if I can buy a 6 oz $50 part that does the same thing.
Almost any part of a firearm is considered a firearm by the TSA. I had a bolt from a rifle in a carryon (long story) and TSA confiscated it and I was barely able to get in the plane. I eventually got it back, but I was kicked out of TSA precheck for a year, later reduced to 6 months.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jspradley

WKR

A cheapo AR15 lower?

tspittmon

FNG
I have a SKB, it has been an awesome case! The interior is padded in key places and has a soft lining as well. I researched them to find one that fit my bow and I'm glad I did. I went with a smaller model that fits my bow like a glove and it remains compact overall. Fits a dozen arrows as well as my tools and a few accessories/clothes. It's built like a tank and the wheels seem durable. It has traveled two seasons and still looks new. I would recommend SKB for sure.

I really like the look of that Legends case. I was 2 days away from purchasing an SKB 42” double bow case for my travels this year. I can get the SKB for about $100 cheaper than the Legend with airline cover, so now I have a decision to make. For those of you who have travelled with the Legend 44 and the larger SKB bow cases, have you every been hit up for oversize luggage? That’s what steered me away from the Nomad - that thing is yuuuuge and I’m pretty sure it’s going to get charged every trip. Any ways to avoid this? I’ve been thinking about throwing a single golf club in there and calling it a golf bag, which exempts it from oversize charges.

I can only tell you that the Legend didn't get any oversize charges in three round trips last year. It is just barely over the oversize 64" measurement. Usually it came out in the oversize carousel area of the baggage pickup area. I never had any sort of damage to it whatsoever.

Funny that you mentioned a golf club. I bought an SKB gold club case for this very reason. Oh, I felt stupid when I realized that my bow wouldn't fit in it. The bow is too wide for a golf club case.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I have the SKB, but it's not the double case, it's the single case for parallel limb bows:

https://smile.amazon.com/SKB-Inject...8HWHC96V5XG&psc=1&refRID=K3QAN42MA8HWHC96V5XG

I didn't like how the double case could potentially bend arrow fletchings, I'm pretty particular about those vanes being straight.

I like my SKB case, have put a sidearm inside it and I like the special attention it gets when I have that pistol in there. Just feels like I can expect to see my bow on the other side when I land.

I intend to cut out some of the foam on the lid side to allow for greater storage. I also intend to make some custom foam to allow me to use this same case for a barreled action and stock, then just assemble at destination.

I have never been dinged for oversize baggage with this case, one reason why I went with it. Some of the others out there are even 0.5" over the limits.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
But the best rigid case you can. Why take chance or roll the dice if your bow-gear gets damaged on your dream hunt?
I fly 4 hunt trips each fall for the last 7 years.
2x my top end SKB TSA hard case had been damaged, alum trim-closure bent where it could hardly be closed once I opened the case. But bow, Contents undamaged.
SKB replaced both cases no charge and shipped free!
Alaska Airlines all flights.

Last edited:
I m a huge fan of the SKB cases. I recently upgraded and bought a new one to fly to Africa with my bow. I purchased the Double deluxe, all your accessories fit in the bottom and it comes with a divider system. It worked great and held up to multiple flights and abuse.