TSA Approved Fire Starter

shanny28757

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going on my first trip this year via commercial air and wanted to get info on what I can / can't take for fire starter material.

The TSA website says the following items are banned:

Butane
Flammable Liquid, Gel, or Aerosol Paint
Fuels (defined as "any flammable liquid fuel, such as cooking fuel")
Gas Torches
Safety Matches (only allowed in carry on)
Torch Lighters
Strike anywhere matches

Are there any issues with bringing commercially available fire starters, Vaseline soaked cotton balls, trioxane, etc?

I didn't see any category that these items directly fall under. I've never used trioxane, but from how it's been described to me it seems like an item that is not allowed. Just don't want to run into a problem at the airport.

Vaseline soaked cotton balls are good to go in either checked or carry on bags in my experience. Commercially available tinder like Wet Fire, I would check, just because it says "fire" and some TSA goons aren't too bright. They may see that in a carry on and think you have nefarious intent.

bates

WKR
you should be fine with matches, trioxane or the cotton balls in checked baggage, i have flown multiple times with those in my bags and never had an issues.

any canisters, fuels, etc aren't going to work.

We just flew with bic lighters in our pockets and carry on, and it was OK. We have flown Coleman strike-a-fire, fire starters. These are just wax saw dust type.

There's been some recent changes about cigarette lighters.

Felix40

WKR
You can carry on a lighter. I cant imagine cotton balls and vasoline being a problem. Thats my plan for my ak trip anyway.