TSA approved gun case questions.

Sevens

WKR
Pelican 1750 for me. Have had mine for almost 20 years and it’s been around the world a couple times. I have some colorful duck tape on it to easily identify. Makes it easy to spot going on and off the plane too.

I keep a spare set of combo locks in the case with a polite note asking for them to be used in the event the primary lucks were cut. Shouldn’t happen but is nice to have if TSA gets overzealous.

Also, make sure the locks are short enough that if you open all the latches, the locks keep the case closed.

PMcGee

WKR
You guys might want to check the current TSA refs regarding lock requirements.

Nobody has given bad information.
I fly with an Skb put a pistol in with my bow. Check it with the firearm put my own locks on it. TSA isn’t allowed to open it without you present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MattB

WKR
I fly with an Skb put a pistol in with my bow. Check it with the firearm put my own locks on it. TSA isn’t allowed to open it without you present.

Like I said, people should read the TSA website.

Trial153

WKR
Checking a pistol in your bow case is the way to go. I lock my pistol case then the bow base gets locked and tagged. Keeps the TSA out and I always feel like I have better chance of it not getting mislaid.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved

TSA locks are now permissible but not required. And there is not a guarantee that you will be present if the case is opened - it depends (in my experience) on the airport.

And SKB or Plano for me.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
@Robster. How does the Apache hold up in the weather? Does the seal do good at keeping out moisture (light rain or snow)?
I have no idea! I bought it last week in anticipation of a week in Wyoming visiting my son. I plan to bring my .308 and shoot it at the canyon range and hopefully a few coyotes. But I will let you know how it works after that!

PMcGee

WKR
TSA locks are now permissible but not required. And there is not a guarantee that you will be present if the case is opened - it depends (in my experience) on the airport.

And SKB or Plano for me.

If they’re cutting locks off that goes against their policy. Not saying it doesn’t happen but it clearly states only the passenger should retain the key or combination unless requested by tsa to open for inspection.

You can fly with any case you want as long as it is able to be locked. You have to use your own locks, you can't use TSA locks.
My daughter shoots competitively and we fly with her rifles quite frequently. We actually prefer to use TSA locks as on more than one occasion we had to be tracked down to come back to TSA so they could open the case and visually inspect the contents. Almost missed a flight once because of this and they convinced us that using TSA locks made more sense. No matter what lock you have on your case, if somebody wants in they will get in so I don't see the reason to not use TSA locks.

bsnedeker

WKR
My daughter shoots competitively and we fly with her rifles quite frequently. We actually prefer to use TSA locks as on more than one occasion we had to be tracked down to come back to TSA so they could open the case and visually inspect the contents. Almost missed a flight once because of this and they convinced us that using TSA locks made more sense. No matter what lock you have on your case, if somebody wants in they will get in so I don't see the reason to not use TSA locks.
Why does the official TSA instruction page specifically recommend NOT using TSA locks? Because anyone with a 3D printer can print out the 8 TSA master keys and get into everyone's luggage. Yeah sure, they could pick the locks if they had the skill or use a grinder on them if they could hide the sound, but getting into a TSA lock is MUCH easier.

I won't deny the fact that it is probably easier to get into a TSA lock. Who exactly are you worried about getting into the case? If it is a baggage handler you can't tell me they don't have tools available that will cut or pry open any lock in a millisecond. Again, I am only providing my opinion and what has worked best for us, and eliminated trips back to the TSA, after traveling no fewer than 25 times with guns/cases.

PMcGee

WKR

TSA doesn’t repack your luggage the way they found it most of the time. That’s why I’d rather be there when they open my bow case so I can make sure there’s nothing going to get damaged.

TSA doesn’t repack your luggage the way they found it most of the time. That’s why I’d rather be there when they open my bow case so I can make sure there’s nothing going to get damaged.

Valid point. Do bows and bowcases have the same restrictions as firearms when checking them? I haven't ever checked a bow so I am unfamiliar with that process. Firearms go to a separate TSA area from regular luggage and I have never been allowed to be next to the case when they inspect it. Before we switched to TSA locks I had to provide them with the keys but still had to be a distance away when they did the actual inspection.

ODB

WKR

Technically. But delta at Spokane did just that. The TSA lady did not like it that I called her out on it. Just didn’t give a shit. So she got reported to management. The excuse was there was no “secure” area where customers were allowed to be while they witnessed the case being opened.

WCB

WKR
Valid point. Do bows and bowcases have the same restrictions as firearms when checking them? I haven't ever checked a bow so I am unfamiliar with that process. Firearms go to a separate TSA area from regular luggage and I have never been allowed to be next to the case when they inspect it. Before we switched to TSA locks I had to provide them with the keys but still had to be a distance away when they did the actual inspection.
As far as I know they do not. TSA "recommends" same packing procedure as firearms (hard case, locks etc.) I have traveled a bit with my bow and hard case and lock it obviously but when they ask if it is a firearm I say no a bow and it goes right through.

You have a completely different experience than me flying with a firearm. Going through the initial screening I have been the one to lock the case and a couple times while waiting for it to go through initial screening they brought it back over to me for "inspection". TSA agents every time have asked me to unlock and open the case. I was no more than 2ft from it at all times. I've flown well over 50 times with a firearm domestically and internationally. And, except for customs check points, coming in or leaving the country, have never had my case opened or been called for extra screening.

If they want to cut my locks then cut them but I'm going to make it as difficult as I can. Just like locking my house or gun safe. Of course if someone wants to get in they can but why make it easy on them?

PMcGee

WKR

They don’t but I put my pistol in the bow case so I can put my own locks on. The only times I’ve ever had to open my case I was there to watch them go through it. All airports are different I guess.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
We may be debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin here, but fwiw I *think* that the TSA guidelines have changed. I am pretty sure that at one point the TSA website said that you MUST use non-TSA locks and that you were not supposed to give the code or keys to anyone and that you had to be present when the case was opened. (I'm pretty sure because I had an argument with TSA on this point - more below.)

Now the guidelines not only permit TSA locks, they now (that I could see in the link above) no longer recommend against TSA locks, and they seem to give us a heads-up that TSA may want to open the locked case - with no reference to the owner being present. ("Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.")

Anyway, I have encountered the "no secure area" issue, including back when the TSA rules were as written before (no TSA locks and no one can open the case without the owner present). It was on my way home from Charleston, SC and I initially refused to hand over my key and I cited the rule. I asked to speak to the supervisor and the woman in front of me calmly explained she was the highest ranking TSA officer at the airport. She said she was aware of the rule, but there was a conflicting rule that prevented me from going to the place where they would open the case. She said I could choose not to fly with the weapon, or let her personally inspect the case and return the key to me. I chose the latter. FWIW, Omaha, NE has the same limitation - the inspection area is in the back behind the check-in counter (at least for Delta flights). Since I fly out of Atlanta, I can say (at least as currently set up) there is no such problem - as the oversize/special baggage place TSA opens and looks at your firearm is separate and accessible by passengers.

I've raised this point in other threads and some people don't like it, but don't shoot the messenger. My point is that when you fly with a firearm (including in a bow case), be prepared for the unexpected. If you have six locking points (like on my SKB), be prepared to have six locks on it - although some TSA agents will say fewer will suffice. I've also had locks that are mysteriously missing after a flight - but the others are unopened and not cut off - so I keep extra (non-TSA) locks with me to replace those. (Someone speculated that the locks can get caught in a conveyor belt and pulled off...?)

MattB

WKR

And SKB or Plano for me.
Exactly. TSA-recognized locks are acceptable for firearms per the TSA website, but I personally would not use them.

At some airports (San Jose, Philadelphia) the TSA luggage screening is behind closed doors so they will ask you to wait at the check-in counter for ~15 minutes after they send your bag back in case they need to get the keys from you to open it. If that occurs, it would not be in your presence. TSA locks would be more efficient in that situation.

Bows are generally (if not universally) considered sporting equipment and hence do not need locks, but I almost missed a flight once because the woman checking bags required my case to be locked (said it was the same as a firearm). My SKB bow case has built-in TSA locks, and I would probably pack a couple of locks just in case if it didn't.