Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
As the title would imply how many have used a barnes TTSX in their 338 win mag for moose? I've been partial to the 225 gr nosler partitions in my rifle but just can't find any. I can get the barnes but have 0 experience with them so I figured I'd see what you folks on here thought of them
Previously, and still am a Nosler user, until I run out my current supply. That said, not moose but, Ive had great success with the 338 Win Mag TTSX this year on BC Black Bear and Alaska Mt Goat. Both good shot placements from 210 and 195 yards, Bear was dead when it hit the ground and goat staggered for 3 to 5 seconds and then dropped in tracks. Used the 210 grain and would use the 225 if I could find them. From my experience you can’t go wrong. Good hunting!

Scottf270

WKR
Killed two moose in the NWT, 2010 and 2012. Both one shot kills using 210 gr TTSX in .338 mag. One was 210 yards. The other 100 yards. Video of the kill shot from 2012 on YouTube. Search for " Scott NWT" about a 59 second video.

I've taken two moose with my 338 and ttsx bullets. In 2020 it was a 225 grain, from about 420 yards. Strangely, it was the same distance this year but with a 210 ttsx. The placement with the 225 bullets weren't the greatest and it took a few shots to get him down. My 210 load was more accurate and I took greater care to do my part. The result was an exploded atrium. Fastest moose kill I've ever had. However, I should note that I found the bullet on the offside skin hardly expanded with two pedals broken off. I think it angled on a rib at entry and tumbled. Still, with that placement, it didn't matter.

I shoot a .340 Weatherby with 225 gr TTSX I handload. Took a moose last year at 200 yards. First shot killed him, but I put a second one in because he was stumbling towards the water. Second shot was pure broadside through the lungs. Passed through, leaving a baseball sized exit wound. I tried the partitions and the TTSX, and my rifle seemed to like the TTSX better. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

SDHNTR

WKR
Shot one last month with a .338 wm and a 225 TTSX at about 90-100 yds. Heart shot. Blew 1/3 of it apart. Golf ball sized exit. Leaked blood like a hose. Went 30 yards on a death run and piled up. Zero complaints.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the replies, nice to hear first hand reports. I bought them so I will give them a try, hopefully my rifle likes em.
You made a great choice...and I'd bet your rifle will like them.

I don't shoot a 338WM, but I handlload primarily TSX's and TTSX's for hunting up here. I've effectively taken quite a few moose (and a couple grizzlies) with a 270gr TSX from a 375H&H...getting about 2800fps at the muzzle. Never any bullet failures...in fact, I've only recovered 2 from moose kills (pictured below)...all the others entered, expanded, and exited the far side.

My son took his first grizzly a few years ago, a nearly nine foot boar...handloaded 210gr TTSX out of a 338-06. One shot through the heart at 40-50yds out...bullet entered, expanded, and exited the far side. Bear went about twenty-five yards and dropped dead.

IMG_6603.jpegIMG_4964.jpg

I took the TTSX on my hunt because it shot the best from my rifle and I thought there was high probability that I could get inside 300 yards on a bull. A more frangible bullet would likely be better outside 200 yards or so.

Most forums I read point to TTSX and Partitions for 338. I think the 225 and 250 partitions would have been a bit more efficient outside 200 yards. While prepping for my hunt, I was able to find a box of Federal 225 gr Fusions. These shot pretty darn good. Knowing how the Fusion performs in other cartridges, it may be a very good choice.

I have three boxes for Federal loaded 210 Partitions, I may be able to sell them if you're interested.

280rem

FNG
210 grain ttsx Barnes in 338 WM performed wonderfully for me this year on a moose. 40 and through spine and and one shoulder blade. I recovered a bullet very similar to the above photo. Barnes bullets are an extremely good choice for being prepared for an up close shot with a high performance cartridge and out to reasonable long range. In some regards it is definitely a superior bullet to a nosler partition. The noslers are very soft in the front which can be good for some applications, personal experience has shown them to shed most the front on close shots.

BCsteve

WKR
As good as it gets! Shot several moose with 225gr TSX from a .35 Whelen and 250gr TTSX from a .375 Ruger. They don’t go far.

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
My dad has got quite a few bulls with 243 core locts so Im sure youll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk