Tundra Camp Site Question

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
My question for you Alaska experienced veterans is this. How do you pick a good camping site in the middle of the tundra? I am doing a 3 man caribou DIY hunt out of Kotzebue in unit 23 starting the 1st of Sept. Our flight service uses tundra wheels so I figure the landing zone will likely be ridge top most likely. Do you want the southside of the ridge as I assume gale force winds come primarily from the north this time of year? Or do we just find the flattest ground around and hope for the best. Our gear is outfitted and is Alaskan Guide model tents. What do you guys recommend? Thanks for any suggestions.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Your transporter will likely know the best camp site near the landing zone. Finding some relief from the wind would be a good thing. Pitch the tent behind a knoll, swale, or alder patch, etc. Stake the tent well including all of the guy lines. Ridegetop camps can be tough conditions, but great for spotting. They may not even put you on a ridgetop, but rather maybe a gravel bar or low ridge. At any rate, I think you will be fine using some common sense. Good luck!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
your greatest challenge will be securing shade for meat and wind protection. After that, it's a waiting game until you realize if and where from animals are moving.

mooster

WKR
assuming its a regularly used landing, previous occupants probably have an established site. just like LB said, look for wind protection, and how to set up some kind of rack for you meat. we had a 3' tall rack last year, but better than laying on ground.

agaugler

FNG
We’ll be right there with you. 4 man group flying out of kotz sept 1. I think our transporter uses mostly float planes, but following for the same advice.

I get the impression the transporters use the same sites pretty frequently, so there should be a good indication of about where guys have been camping.

A little bushcraft on the meat pole and cooking tarp will be our first order of businesses after camp is set.

For you guys who have been before, when setting camp, how are you storing food and smellables for bear saftey?

AKBorn

WKR
We’ll be right there with you. 4 man group flying out of kotz sept 1. I think our transporter uses mostly float planes, but following for the same advice.

I get the impression the transporters use the same sites pretty frequently, so there should be a good indication of about where guys have been camping.

A little bushcraft on the meat pole and cooking tarp will be our first order of businesses after camp is set.

For you guys who have been before, when setting camp, how are you storing food and smellables for bear saftey?

If your transporter flies you in on floats - there is a decent chance that finding a dry camp spot, and also finding a meat POLE (as opposed to some alder brush) will be much more of a challenge than someone who is flown in on tundra tires. Some of the terrain next to those lake landings is just soggy...

agaugler

FNG
I’m definitely packing everything in dry bags and wearing my waders and xtratufs on the plane.

Hopefully we can get to some more solid ground to set up camp, even if it involves a bit of a hump.

My question for you Alaska experienced veterans is this. How do you pick a good camping site in the middle of the tundra? I am doing a 3 man caribou DIY hunt out of Kotzebue in unit 23 starting the 1st of Sept. Our flight service uses tundra wheels so I figure the landing zone will likely be ridge top most likely. Do you want the southside of the ridge as I assume gale force winds come primarily from the north this time of year? Or do we just find the flattest ground around and hope for the best. Our gear is outfitted and is Alaskan Guide model tents. What do you guys recommend? Thanks for any suggestions.
Choosing your camp site needs a few consideration.. Make sure Jared (pilot) is putting you near a water source, critical!!. The south side of the Brooks Range (upper Naotak) had nothing that looks like trees but lots of alder and willow. Do not camp close to the scrub/alder/willow because when bears wanter through you do not want them bumping into your camp. Bears will avoid you at all costs and after 18 years of outfitting in Unit 23 we have only hd 1 issue with bears in camp and that was the hunters fault because the dummy left meat in one of my rafts and needles to say it became a chew toy!

Wind...Yes expect wind and that is why we use Guide Model tents. There is to direction the wind will come out of so just find a spot that allows your a way to tie that tent down please! Bring lots of Para Cord! Your ability to see game movement is what you're needing. My own personal camp site is high on a bluff where we can see in 360 degrees so I can see movement in all directions. My camp gets buffeted with wind every year but that also keeps the bugs down..

Last note: there is a 90% chance you will be hunting the Howard Pass/Desperation Lake sea because of the early date. My bet is you will be high on a ridge top so a breeze is a given. Warm temps is going to be a problem so please take Citric Acid and a spray bottle and be prepared to call for an early pick up if you fill your tags early..Do you have an Sat phone or In-reach??

Questions, just call

Walt
Northwestalaska.net

Attachments

• 9577262.jpg
    9577262.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 29
  • 9006383_orig.jpg
    9006383_orig.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 32
  • gavin caribou.JPG
    gavin caribou.JPG
    447.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Choosing your camp site needs a few consideration.. Make sure Jared (pilot) is putting you near a water source, critical!!. The south side of the Brooks Range (upper Naotak) had nothing that looks like trees but lots of alder and willow. Do not camp close to the scrub/alder/willow because when bears wanter through you do not want them bumping into your camp. Bears will avoid you at all costs and after 18 years of outfitting in Unit 23 we have only hd 1 issue with bears in camp and that was the hunters fault because the dummy left meat in one of my rafts and needles to say it became a chew toy!

Wind...Yes expect wind and that is why we use Guide Model tents. There is to direction the wind will come out of so just find a spot that allows your a way to tie that tent down please! Bring lots of Para Cord! Your ability to see game movement is what you're needing. My own personal camp site is high on a bluff where we can see in 360 degrees so I can see movement in all directions. My camp gets buffeted with wind every year but that also keeps the bugs down..

Last note: there is a 90% chance you will be hunting the Howard Pass/Desperation Lake sea because of the early date. My bet is you will be high on a ridge top so a breeze is a given. Warm temps is going to be a problem so please take Citric Acid and a spray bottle and be prepared to call for an early pick up if you fill your tags early..Do you have an Sat phone or In-reach??

Questions, just call

Walt
Northwestalaska.net
Thanks for the heads up Walt. Yes on the SAT phone and will pick up some Citric Acid for sure.