Tundra or Tahoe

chops24

WKR
So i am getting out of my F-150 Ecoboost, and looking at going with a Tundra or a Tahoe. Help me spend about 25k. I hunt a lot so that is a consideration, needs to be able to haul my kids comfortably and safely. I know Tundras get a bad rap for fuel mileage but i don't commute very far so i'm not as worried about that.

Wants - Power, reliability, can tow my scout on a flatbed from time to time, room for growing boys.

I've considered a Silverado but i think if i'm going truck i'm going Tundra. Are there any other vehicles i'm not thinking about? I have owned a Titan that i really liked, owned a couple of dodges, wont go back there unless going diesel and that's not happening, liked my Tacoma but it was too small and had no power, the Ecoboost was great but i just didn't love it.

Tahoe
- Real attractive that i can just get to camp and crash in the rig when needed.
- good power, excellent turning radius, comfortable, will haul my 4&5 year old boys and all of our crap.

Tundra
- Better capability off road
- It has a truck bed
- good power

Who has experience with these two?

Thanks.

You will get a much nicer Tahoe for 25k than you will a Tundra. That is something to think about. A 25k Tundra will probably have higher miles and be older. Im in the market for a Tundra now and the prices are really making me think twice.

I know both well. Wife still drives a tahoe. You won't be able to sleep in it unless you upgrade to a suburban and even then at least with my model the seats don't fold flat like the older one's whereas you have one even plane to make a bed on. If that's your sole reason for getting one get a 8' truck bed with a topper.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Both are fine vehicles with different applications. DAO is correct with the cost breakdown.

If you move up to a suburban, search high and low for a used 6.0 3/4 ton with low miles. Those were the best one's

I recently sold my GMC Sierra and traded up to a new Tundra. Love the Tundra and has plenty of room and lots of power. If you end up going with a GM (GMC or Chevy) stay away from anything 2008 - 2013. Oil consumption is a big problem with those motors and GM won't do anything about it. My 2013 burned a little over a quarter every thousand miles. I had six months of warranty left when we found the problem, and GM basically drug me along until the warranty ran out and wouldn't cover a new motor like they should have.

I haved owned a Tahoe for the last 14 years. I can sleep in mine, but that is probably not the case with the newer ones with buckets seats in the second row. I love mine and will never get rid of it. 271,000 miles and it goes all over the United States every year. I used to always think I needed a truck, until I started driving a Tahoe. I have a 12 foot trailer to haul anything I need that won't fit in it with the seats down, and that is very few things. You wouldn't believe the stuff I can get in there.

I have 4 kids and have taken vacations with my mother in law so we have had 7 people and two dogs in that thing with everyones luggage, including a hitch carrier for the back. My model will actually haul 9 people, as I have a bench in front, middle and back. I love them.

Tundras are good vehicles also, but hard to beat a Tahoe that is pushing 20 mpg on trips. I get 18 with mine and it is an 03 model.

You might also consider a Yukon, as you can get those with the 6.0, which is the perfect combination.

On my second tundra so a bit of bias toward the truck. They are low maintenance and just flat run. Both of mine have been double cans bought used with mid mileage and sold at around 120k miles. Great trucks.

If you go the tundra route and have kids go for a crew cab. I rarely say I need an extra foot of bed space but I find myself wanting more cab space. An extra foot of leg room for the crew cab over the double cab is well worth giving up some bed space.

Also, add a backflip bed cover. Great, dry storage option for gear that is reasonably secure without impairing your ability to use the bed as god intended.

OP
C

chops24

WKR
you guys are great thanks for all the good replies.

i forgot to mention that i tow an enclosed trailer for my truck based camping a lot so hauling an elk/wood would happen there.

Painless

FNG
I have a 2012 Tundra limited 5.7 and I love that truck, didn't read all of the previous responses but I will say this I will never buy any other truck. The fuel mileage sucks (average about 13 MPG with 35's) but it didn't buy it for gas mileage and I drive 65 miles every day. It pulls my boat and my parents camper like there is nothing back there. I have 3 kids and mine is a double cab, my next one will be a super cab. I bought mine with 75K miles and payed right at 25 for it. You can find deals you just have to look.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve owned both. Different applications for sure. I still own 2 Tahoes so that should tell you something about which has worked well for us. Our 96 will cross 400,000 miles this year. Our 2007 will tick to over 200,000 miles this year. Big start to the decade for a couple nice running rigs!

I'm on my second tundra. My 06 has 200k on it and still going strong. I just gave it to my son and bought a 2020. Both are double cabs. I would rather have the extra bed space and with camper shell, have spent quite a few nights in the back. With Bilstein shocks good tires, I'm good on the highway and forest roads. We'll see how the 2020 is maintenance-wise; however, the 06 has been very reliable.

WKR
2015 double cab. Routinely have 6’ plus guys in back seat. Really like the 6.5’ bed. Bilstein 6112 upfront and much better off-road. New skid plate as well. Crap mpg, great trucks though.

I recently sold my GMC Sierra and traded up to a new Tundra. Love the Tundra and has plenty of room and lots of power. If you end up going with a GM (GMC or Chevy) stay away from anything 2008 - 2013. Oil consumption is a big problem with those motors and GM won't do anything about it. My 2013 burned a little over a quarter every thousand miles. I had six months of warranty left when we found the problem, and GM basically drug me along until the warranty ran out and wouldn't cover a new motor like they should have.

I had the exact same experience with the oil burning a quart every 1000 miles and was told that was normal which is complete BS. The 2007-2009 engine was so bad that GM didn’t offer the replacement crate engine for those models. That was how much I loved my 2007 Yukon XL that I was willing to buy a replacement engine when this first happened but then after 9 years o traded it in for a Ram 1500 that I love to but there was definitely some advantages of the Yukon over the Ram. I could have all my hunting stuff behind the back seat and throw a deer back there too and still have all of the seats for the family. Can’t do that with a pick up as easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JakeB2010

FNG
Never had a tahoe but had a 5.3 silverado which is just the truck version of it. Seemed to hold out fine till around 170k and then started to fall apart. Sold it, bought an 07 tundra with 70k with a canopy on it and proceeded to beat the crap out of it all over the west for hunts while sleeping in the bed with the canopy. I was hard on that truck and it never needed anything other than oil changes and tires. Drove it until 160k until it died in a bad accident. Have since upgraded to a 2016 tundra double cab with a canopy and a leveling kit on 33s. I will never own another truck unless I buy something that is heavy enough to need a diesel to pull it. They just flat out run and will never let you down no matter how far from home.

Azone

WKR

Between my old 2010 Sierra and my wifes old 2011 Terrain I really don't have much nice things to say about GM anymore. My 07 Duramax has been bullet proof but the other two mentioned were nothing but problems.

OP, I'd get the Tundra. You can always put a camper shell on it to sleep in the back.

DBCooper

FNG
I've owned two Tundras. Great trucks.

I owned a 2003 GMC Yukon and I currently own a 2014 Tahoe LTZ.

Whoever above that told you apples and oranges is correct. Both great. Just different.

I have a 2010 Tundra Crew Cab with only 86k miles. I bought it in 2013 with 22k miles. It has not needed a single repair in 6.5 years, which is more than I can say for any other vehicle I’ve owned or my wife has owned. Still on ya original brakes in fact. I will probably keep this truck forever until it dies.