Tundra or Tahoe

Gutshotem

WKR
Just remember when you sleep in the back of a truck, you can’t use the remote start to turn on the heat and warm yourself up 😁

Doesn't the tundra have that big back window that drops down?

OP, have you given any thought to a Sequoia?

BluMtn

WKR
I am on my second Tundra. Make sure you look at the crewmax. The backseat sits far enough back that you can sit 3 tall adults back there in comfort. Also look at Tundra from 14 on, they have the bigger fuel tanks. I have a 13 and it has a 22 gal fuel tank and I know the the 14 and newer have larger fuel tanks. And yes you are not buying a Tundra for fuel economy.

And yes Gutshotem, the crewmax has the rearwindow that can be lowered.

I got a 2015 tundra crewmax. Have had no issues and would never get another truck unless I got a diesel. Haven’t found a place yet that I haven’t been able to take my truck. Gas mileage is the only downside but I still manage around 15-16 mpg on the hwy.

Are you turned off the to the Ecoboost engine? If not, maybe consider an Expedition. I on my second Expedition and love everything about it. For the last 4000 miles I have averaged right at 20 mpg. To sleep in the back, I cut a piece of luan in half. I use it to make the floor flat (like the others, there is an open space between the seats when folded down). It's a palace for camping.

20180519_112322.jpg

2015 tundra crew cab with 100k mi, love it. Put a topper on it, some bilstein 6112/5160 and AT tires, take it everywhere. Gas mileage isn’t ideal but otherwise very happy.

I am a Toyota guy. Have owned 4 runner and Tacoma’s. And lately a Tundra. Been driving a 07 Tundra. Has 160,000 miles. Maintenance free truck and I like the power. It gets 14-15 mpg usually which I wish was more but oh well. I don’t think I will own another vehicle that isn’t Toyota

I know I'll get a lot of crap for this, but I went through the same issue and ended up with a Honda Ridgeline. Love it. It is the best truck I've ever owned... And I've had a bunch of them over the years.
At least test drive one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ZDR

WKR
Curious as to why your moving away from the F150 Ecoboost? I am in process of buying an XLT Ecoboost now (my first Ford...) so curious if it has been problematic for you.
I plan on hauling a small camper as well and also as my daily driver.
thanks!
z

PhlyanPan

FNG
I have a tundra. I put a cap on the back so I can do the crash in the truck thing if I want. I put my two kids in it no problem. Yes, they are a bit more expensive but they hold their value really well so if you're looking for resale in a few years it's a good option. This is my second one, I had a crewmax first and now a double cab. If I had it to do over I would probably go back to the crewmax. Only downside you already said is gas mileage. I wish it got better. There's rumors of a 2020 twin turbo v6 hybrid that will get upper 20s in mileage but that's just rumors right now. Hoping my current one holds value enough to trade up if that happens.

Curious as to why your moving away from the F150 Ecoboost? I am in process of buying an XLT Ecoboost now (my first Ford...) so curious if it has been problematic for you.
thanks!
z

I will share my experience with a 2012 Ecoboost FX4 CrewCab.
It gets 15mpg average, it was pretty low maintenance until it hit 140k, then I had to buy new turbos. Now I am at 180k and the transmission is starting to slip and shift hard between gears. Now this year had a known issue with hard shifting between 2-1 and 5-4, but its doing it all the time now in all the gears. It sometimes will go into a safe mode driving through town, no idea on this as no code is thrown. Door locks are starting to fail. Other than that it has just been normal maintenance, oil, spark plugs, brakes, etc.
Positives, it has a 6.5 foot bed, tons of room up front, very nice interior, tows a lot very easy, and over all a very nice driving truck. I was hoping to own it longer and I could probably make it last another 100k or so, but I have no desire to replace the transmission now and chase down the other annoying issues it has now that the miles are higher. The turbo charged engine is very nice, but you will have to replace the turbos no matter what, I believe I spent around 4k have those replaced. Stay away from any before 2013 and you will avoid the transmission hard shift issues the 2011 and 2012s had (I found out after I bought it, the hard way).
I probably wont buy another, but if you need a 6.5 bed and a big interior for kids or gear, they will serve you well. I think I am going the route of a Tundra, but who knows. I dont think Ill buy a ecoboost though, I don't want to drop that much money again.

Reactions: ZDR

boom

WKR
i drive a tacoma. i lovingly changed the oil just yesterday. its a 2006, and just hit 170,000. i marvel every day at the reliability. i bought it used at 30k and i seriously have only fixed the brakes and the rear passenger side brake light. i did change the driveshaft intermidete bearing thing, THINKING it went bad, but it was misdiagnoses on my part. i dont fault the truck for that.

i think i am going to get the Tundra next. the added size would be welcome and i kinda want to buy a bassboat...shhh..dont tell the wife. i see them used all the time! i believe the MPG puts them on my market.

OP
C

chops24

WKR
I know I'll get a lot of crap for this, but I went through the same issue and ended up with a Honda Ridgeline. Love it. It is the best truck I've ever owned... And I've had a bunch of them over the years.
At least test drive one.

one of my last girlfriends had a ridgeline, i really liked that truck too but i intend to tow my scout and run a 35 inch tire and like having a V-8, but yes i really liked that ridgeline and even hunted out of it once.

thanks!
z

i ended up wrecking the Ecoboost and yes i really liked the truck for the reasons 208 said above, it was new, so a very high payment i just didnt LOVE the truck. it was a really nice truck though. i got 17 mpgs.

ZDR

WKR
Thanks Chops24 and DAOutfitters208...appreciate the feedback.

z

TreGrizz

FNG
N=1 in this case, but during our elk hunt this year I have a buddy with a GMC Sierra (same assembly lines as chevy trucks). We were headed up a bumpy road at reasonable speeds (something even a suburu outback would handle), and his tie rod and control arm snapped. it was a 2019 model with 16k miles on it. Again, this is just one example, but it ended our hunt for that day, and his full hunting trip. this is only one case, but I personally am avoiding Chevy and other GM vehicles.

Gobbler36

WKR
I’d rather have an older and higher mileage Toyota than anything with ford and Chevy on it with 100k on it. For reliability I’d go Tundra but that’s just my feelings and experiences.

Gobbler36

WKR
I have a 2010 Tundra Crew Cab with only 86k miles. I bought it in 2013 with 22k miles. It has not needed a single repair in 6.5 years, which is more than I can say for any other vehicle I’ve owned or my wife has owned. Still on ya original brakes in fact. I will probably keep this truck forever until it dies.
Pretty much what you get with any yota in my experience, there is a reason they hold their value on the used market

one of my last girlfriends had a ridgeline, i really liked that truck too but i intend to tow my scout and run a 35 inch tire and like having a V-8, but yes i really liked that ridgeline and even hunted out of it once.

i ended up wrecking the Ecoboost and yes i really liked the truck for the reasons 208 said above, it was new, so a very high payment i just didnt LOVE the truck. it was a really nice truck though. i got 17 mpgs.
I've hunted out if my Ridgeline a bunch. I'm looking to get a lift kit on it soon. I'm getting 27mpg on freeway and 22 in town. Loving it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TripleJ

WKR
I'm on my 2nd Tundra, a 2010. I just passed 100k miles. I bought it with 70k. Maintenance free so far except for shocks/struts. I gave my old one to my dad. It's a 2004 with 170k on it. Runs great, maintenance free. I had 2 Silverados before this. They were both great until about 100k miles. I had to replace front end stuff (bearings, ball joints, etc) on both of them. They didn't seem to take the off-road beating very well.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord