Tune broadheads individually or just one?

Hi,
Do I need to tune every arrow for broadheads or can I just tune with one? If I need to do every one, do I need to test and resharpen every broadheads or can I just use one head on different arrows?
Thanks

gelton

WKR
Lots of opinions here but I tune every arrow with a broadhead...tune isnt really the right word though.

I broadhead tune with 4 arrows, one with a broadhead and 3 with field points. I will rotate the broadhead around in that group of 4.

Once I am happy with my broadhead tune, then I will shoot every arrow with the broadhead and rank them based on flight.

Probably more of a headgame than anything else but its fun and the competition is between arrows. I literally use a tournament bracket (with a losers bracket) and score each arrow from 20,30,40,50,60.

There always seems to be 3-4 that rise to the top. At least I know when I am hunting that my best six arrows are in the quiver, even if it might be a mental thing, I know that if something goes wrong (besides nicking a branch) its totally my fault.

Truth be told I use 3 broadheads to do this and just reorder blades because IW are a bitch to sharpen.

Last edited:
You should be able to get your bow tuned with just one broadhead-tipped arrow assuming the components are all aligned well, but I would recommend shooting each individual arrow/head combo that will be in your quiver at least once before you go hunting to verify that they're all hitting where you aim. Slight variations in straightness and/or spine can create inconsistencies in flight/point of impact from arrow to arrow (even if they're all the same make/model/batch). Broadheads tend to magnify those inconsistencies. Nock tuning can sometimes help compensate for arrow-to-arrow straightness/spine variations.

Moving one head from arrow to arrow would probably be sufficient to ensure that each arrow is tuned, but I personally choose to shoot each individual arrow/head combo to be certain. The 2-blade Cutthroats I've been shooting for the past few years are pretty easy to get back to shaving sharp with an angle guide and a fine stone followed by a leather strop.

Will_m

WKR
Lots of opinions here but I tune every arrow with a broadhead...tune isnt really the right word though.

I broadhead tune with 4 arrows, one with a broadhead and 3 with field points. I will rotate the broadhead around in that group of 4.

Once I am happy with my broadhead tune, then I will shoot every arrow with the broadhead and rank them based on flight.

Probably more of a headgame than anything else but its fun and the competition is between arrows. I literally use a tournament bracket (with a losers bracket) and score each arrow from 20,30,40,50,60.

There always seems to be 3-4 that rise to the top. At least I know when I am hunting that my best six arrows are in the quiver, even if it might be a mental thing, I know that if something goes wrong (besides nicking a branch) its totally my fault.

Truth be told I use 3 broadheads to do this and just reorder blades because IW are a bitch to sharpen.
Good god man

OP
G
I confirm every arrow with a broadhead, but not every broadhead.
Thanks for the replies. This is what I was thinking of doing. I don’t have an angle guide so I don’t want to try to resharpen more than I have to. I have a leather strop, will it hurt anything if I get the angle wrong with that?

bpctcb

WKR
I number my arrows and broadheads for a matched set. I then shoot each arrow/broadhead. Builds supreme confidence for me. It is more sharpening; but I know I won’t have any surprises come crunch time.

BP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to shoot each head on the arrow I’m going to put it on while hunting. If you only shoot them a few times into foam they are still plenty sharp, cutthroats and iron will that is…

406unltd

WKR
Make sure they all spin true with the exact arrow they will be on. Tune one. Confirm the others. Nock tune if need be. Resharpen. Hunt

OP
G
Any advice on sharpeners? Just sandpaper and an angle guide or some specific tool?