Tungsten Turkey shells worth the price?

I totally agree with the Jaws ^^. The shells are one of the absolute least expensive parts of
any hunt. I want the best that I can get when I am hunting. The Hevi 18 Turkey shells from
Hevishot are show stoppers. The range that they give you combined with how lethal they
are makes them priceless to me. Anyone that has turkey hunted enough will attest to turkeys
"getting hung up" just out of range and the Hevi 18 sort of levels the playing field for me.
Allows me to ETHICALLY reach out "and touch them." In short, the shells do matter

dtrkyman

WKR
I load my own, basically went to them to shoot a 20ga with 12ga performance, actually better performance than I was getting with a 12 and hevi shot. I turkey hunt a lot, factory turkey loads were constantly changing and not always for the better.

If I started over I would have went with a 28 ga, even lighter gun and I am not looking for long range, I rarely shoot a bird over 30 yards, but like to know I am good to 50 and have wiggle room if I miss judge distance.

I load 1 5/8th of #9 and have killed every bird I pointed them at for 4 seasons now, in my opinion loading more than that is just wasting shot, but guys loading big 12 ga with it and chasing numbers in their pattern have some ridiculous performance! Longest shot was 44 steps and just flat out stomped that Michigan bird!

In my opinion, if you are using a sub gauge shotgun the shell is super important. I personally
do not see the need for reloading when shells like the Hevi-18 and Magnum Blend are
available. Their performance speaks for itself and can get them at Macks, Rogers, Bass Pro
and most quality local hunting related stores.

Blake_08

FNG
As stated, I only see the benefits of TSS in smaller gauges. I picked up a 20 gauge last year and some TSS for my 8 year old to shoot. That little gun out patterns my 870 shooting 3.5" lead 5s by about 10% at 40 yards (210 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards for the 20 gauge). My son didn't kill a turkey with it, but I did and it worked flawlessly. Lead would have killed him as he was only about 20 yards, but with TSS in that 20 gauge I wouldn't hesitate at 40 yards. By the way, 40 yards with the 20 gauge and lead turkey loads was completely unacceptable.

Biggie

FNG
If you shoot a .410 or like shooting birds at 60+ yards they are probably worth it. Otherwise I haven't found out how to kill a turkey deader that dead. I switched to Longbeard 6s in my 20 last year and shot 4 birds from 30-42yds. Around 130 in the 10" at 40yds.

The smaller gauge shotguns greatly benefit from shotgun shells like Hevi 18 TSS turkey from Hevishot for a variety of reasons namely knockdown power and shot accuracy. Loads like Hevi 18 and Hevishot Mangum Blend offer the sub gauge hunters the ability to take birds at extended ranges that they simply would not be able to otherwise. They also offer 12 gauge hunters the increased ranges as well unparalleled knockdown power to cleanly take turkey's at most ranges.

topher89

WKR
I have taken four turkeys. 2 with cheap Federal 3 inch #6 loads and 2 with Federal TSS #9. With two turkeys taken with the lead loads, there was a lot of flopping around. The TSS was pretty decisive.

I think TSS gives you a larger margin of error for extended ranges.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I've killed north of 100 birds over 30+ years of turkey hunting including multiples with every gauge except a 28. I've never shot a heavy shell and probably never will. Of course I've never shot a 3 1/2 12 either and know I never will. Shoot what you like but for me, I'll leave those expensive shells to you guys that only shoot once a year. YMMV

410.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

Fordguy

WKR
I've done some patterning with .410 and 20 ga tss and (primarily for my girlfriend's turkey hunting) and the conclusion I've reached is that for her, 20 ga longbeard xr in 5 or 6 shot are as good as anything (at distances out to 40 or 50 yards) and reasonably priced. We don't shoot turkeys at 60 yards, in fact an average shot is closer to 20 yards. My last few birds have fallen to the el-cheapo remington nitro turkey 5$ a box from walmart on sale.
That said, if you like hunting turkeys long range and don't mind the added expense- those tss loads then thats probably the way to go. With the right choke tube and tss combination you can shoot some impressive patterns at 60 yards and beyond.

Erict

WKR
I have no doubt they can take shot to "the next level", but you won't find me buying them until lead is prohibited where I hunt. I've killed many piles of turkey in NY with 12 gauge 3" #5 and every one was bang-flop-done. Nothing could have killed them deader.

To each their own, but part of turkey hunting is calling them in to a range each one of us determines is "sporting". For me, that means setting up for a shot 40 yards or closer. If one hangs up at 60 yards, that's part of the game - try to call him in closer or let him go for another day. Maybe I'd feel different if I were guiding for a business, but for me, it' ain't all about the kill.......

Thedeerfarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never shot TSS but I have considered it. I’ve always shot Remington loads. Usually a 3” #5 or #6 and I’ve gotten along just fine. That being said, I usually set up for close shots where I can and shoot a 12 gauge. Never saw much need to shoot past 30 yards or so. For long range, it’s absolutely worth it from what I can see!

I have not seen or tried ANYTHING that can compare to the new Hevi 18 Turkey TSS shotgun shells.
They pattern great and retain so much energy at such long ranges. I cannot imagine not using
them. The expense is not evenly remotely a factor when you consider how FEW shells you use
during the course of turkey season.

Reactions: CAB

CAB

FNG
I've killed all my birds using Hevi so for me if it isn't broke why change. I will also say that it's a confidence thing with me as well. Every time I pull that trigger on a gobbler I never question if he's going down, I KNOW he's going down. Do other brands/lead shot work? NO QUESTION, guys have been killing turkeys forever with lead. If you can afford to run it and it works for you then run it. If you don't like the cost and want to use lead and that works for you don't be afraid to run that instead.