Tuning and Reliability: Yokes vs Binary/Floating Yoke

Serious question for tuning junkies that have experience with multiple cam systems:
I'm going to pick up a new bow this year, the plan is to wait for all of the new models to come out before I make a final decision. That said, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for. My goal is to get a 450-500 grain arrow up to ~285 fps at my 26.5" DL. The new PSE Xpedite NXT is on the top of my list for now, and I figure that Xpedition and Hoyt's next Turbo will be on the list as well. I like having the option for 80 lb limbs, which PSE is offering on the Xpedite NXT.
I do all of my own tuning and enjoy the whole process. That said, I don't like to revisit it in August/July after a few months of shooting. My question is: what type of cam system stays tuned more reliably? My thinking is that the answer is a binary or binary/floating yoke type cam system. Reasoning is that the equal length cables stretch evenly, and cam timing is easy to see in/out of sync. Shimming may be necessary, but it's permanent and only has to be done once. Yoke type cam systems are maybe quicker to tune once, but unequal length cables don't stretch evenly, and my thinking is that when they stretch it affects both timing and cam lean.
For those that have done both, which do you prefer? Or does it depend more on other attributes of the bow?

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
I've done both and I think you may have a point. My Hoyt was constantly coming out of time. Haven't had that issue at all with the VXR. I also like lateral cam movement vs cam lean. I like to think that my string is embedded as deeply as possible in the cam track. I don't know if this is a real concern or not. Anyway I think the quality of your string has alot more to do with consistent tune and timing then cam style.