Tuning epiphany

I have the same issue with off-the-shelf shooting. I shoot three under as well. I get some weird arrow flight too, and I totally destroy whatever covering I put on the shelf. It’s been that way with all my bows, and I can’t figure it out. I just shoot a feather rest now, and my arrow flight is amazing. That thing is so forgiving and easy to shoot off of.
I’m going to look into other rests like that. The cheap screw in one i put on doesn’t stay set in place and won’t last lonf I don’t think.

OP
shoeshineman
I have the same issue with off-the-shelf shooting. I shoot three under as well. I get some weird arrow flight too, and I totally destroy whatever covering I put on the shelf. It’s been that way with all my bows, and I can’t figure it out. I just shoot a feather rest now, and my arrow flight is amazing. That thing is so forgiving and easy to shoot off of.

I'm curious about the feather rest. Does it wear out quickly?

I have quickly worn through both the felt and velcro I put on my shelf. I then went to a bear weather rest and now I have worn a groove in it after only several weeks of use.

I'm looking at getting a springy rest now. Both for accuracy and possibly less wear issues.

Also, after only a few months, I've worn the calf hair off my black widow tab. I just got the safari tuff tab the other day and hope that doesn't wear as quickly.

-Am I unique about all of these high wear issues? Is it simply because I'm shooting 30 arrows every day now that I'm working from home?

I just replaced my feather rest this year. My other one lasted 2 years, and probably could have kept going no problem. I just thought I’d go ahead and replace it since it was a little matted down and dirty.

You’re not unique in wearing out rests. I can shred one in a month of shooting every day. Usually adjusting your nock point higher fixes the issue, but that’s not my case. It’s something about the way I shoot that destroys them.

EDIT: I also shoot the safari tuff tab, and it ROCKS. It’s expensive, but that thing is bomb proof and the release is so slick.

Howdy all!

I bought a 35lb recurve to graduate from training wheels a few months ago. I've been shooting the 500 spine arrows with 5" turkey feathers, that the archery shop sold me with the bow, regularly and have gotten better over time. At 20 yards, I'm pretty regularly shooting 4-6" 3 arrow groups. I do ok at the local 3d course.

I've been getting interested in the whole super tuning world. I thought "I wonder what my bare shaft groups look like?" So, out comes the box cutter and goodbye to feathers. OMG! These 500s are so stiff, I'm completely missing the entire target at 20 yards!

29" 500 spine
8.6 grain nock
22 grain insert
150 grain field point
---This thing is so crazy stiff

I work my way through field points from 200 grains all the way to 300 grains. 500 spine is still stiff with 300 grain field point. I've validated that my brace height is in spec.

I grab some 29" 600 spine and throw on the 300 grain field tip, still stiff!

I think I need a 700 spine arrow for this 35lb bow!

I think I have learned that big feathers can really hide some crazy spine issues. Am I going crazy or has anyone else seen this?

Thanks in advance!
You are absolutely correct. Most men will never admit they need 700 or 800 spine arrows just like they will never admit they need to start out with 35# traditional bows. You're more than halfway there. Congrats.

Beendare

WKR
Oh, and if you're shredding rests, you're not even close to being tuned.
That^ was my thought too. Too much down pressure on the release.

I run a felt flooring pad and a piece of hide on my 2 bows and get little wear. Over a year sure. The hide is a leftover chunk from some African animal my buddy a taxi had left over.....those guys throw a bunch of that stuff away....might be worth a visit to one.

_____

Macleod

FNG
I started on a 35# bow with 500 spine arrows. It wasn’t until I moved up to 45# that they started flying right for me. I am also new and my form isn’t consistent yet.

A.Hutch

FNG
im shooting a bow "marked" 45#@28. I draw 29.5 .400 shafts 100gr point. very stiff for me. A 175 gr point puts me damn near right on. According to the calculators, I'm sure actual will be a little different.

Hutch

A.Hutch

FNG
as far as a feather rest being tore up, here's my opinion. You very well may have a good tune on your rig. but it seems to me you may have a fletching clearance issue, hence the tore up feather rest.
Do you see ANY damage to your fletchings??

Hutch

To clarify, I never tear up the feather rest. I shred rug rests pretty regularly. The feather rest will last me 2 years. Probably longer actually, that’s just when I replace mine.

The feather rest is smoooooth.

A.Hutch

FNG
hmmmm..... maybe i mssread. very possible. I am a bit limbered up this evening.

Hutch