Tuning help

aggieland

WKR
So I am helping an older gentleman (80 yrs young) setup some arrows for his upcoming Africa hunt in July. He wanted to set up some new arrows around 650 grains instead of the 400g arroes he has now.. Everything was going great until we backed up to 50 yds, at this point the arrows started flying horribly after they flew say 35 yds. AT 20 and 30yds they looked great then boom . He is pulling 52 pounds from a pse carbon bow 27" draw, I had some .300 vap tko shafts cut down to 27.25" then put a 100g iron will hit insert and the 25 grain collar and a 250g head. I need to check a chart maybe we are way to stiff or weak but wanted to see what you guys thought. Could be a tune issue?

Attachments

• 20210513_203917.jpg
    20210513_203917.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 27

Ajax2744

FNG
Arrows don’t suddenly start flying bad. Odds are they are flying bad from the start but you don’t notice until they get out a little farther. I also highly doubt it’s a spine issue. You can shoot a pretty wide range of spines through a modern compound with a drop away rest. And too stiff isn’t really much of an issue. I would guess it’s a form issue or the bow needs an actual tune. An easy way to check basic tune is shoot through paper at 6ft. Odds are he is getting a bad tear

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
I am starting to think his bow is probably out of tune as well.and we didn't notice at the closer ranges. He did mention he has not messed with it in quite some time. String stretch or QAD rest timing might be off.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
As in arrows flying horrible meaning they’re dropping like a SOB? Literally falling off the table?

the arrow is not to bad spine wise…it’s just way to heavy for a 52# bow. Also like most said check the tuning process

OR Archer

WKR
Having that much tip weight on that arrow out of a short draw low poundage set up is going to be rough to tune and get good arrow flight. Not sure who built those for his set up but it wouldn’t be the way I would have suggested getting more TAW.

I would reach out to Bill V with iron will. He has helped a few guys set up arrows for Cape buffalo with his buff series heads. That set up sounds FOC’D up.

I wonder if it doesn't have enough fletching. My bareshafts from my recurves will start to act weird at 50 yards. They have a good bit of tip weight and I think as the shaft slows down it starts to act a little weird.

Kinda like a bullet that goes subsonic, gets a little unpredictable.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
I'm curious as to how you came up with this combination? Those are some pricey components to just throw together on a whim. Arrow flight is Paramount for penetration so you had better make sure his bare shafts are flying perfectly at least at 20 yards. 40 would be more ideal, however he will probably be shooting around 20 out of a blind anyway.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
I shoot the shafts and iron will components on my recurve. Full length shaft 100g heads. I just added a heavier field tip to up his overall arrow weight and cut the length down some onnthe shaft. It was hitting a little left at 30 so I cut maybe another 1/8th off and got him back on the dot. Then we backed up to 50 yds just to see and the troubles arrived. Could possibly be the 4 fletch feathers made contact but will have to see next time we meet up again.

I doubt that arrow spine is the culprit; 300 seems about right for 375 gr point weight, 52# draw weight, 27-ish inch arrow length. I would first check for vane contact then, if you have the time and equipment, I'd recommend working through the tuning process from the ground up with the arrows he wants to use.

Also, 50 yds might be an unrealistic range at 52#/27" with an arrow that heavy.

Reactions: Zac
OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
I doubt that arrow spine is the culprit; 300 seems about right for 375 gr point weight, 52# draw weight, 27-ish inch arrow length. I would first check for vane contact then, if you have the time and equipment, I'd recommend working through the tuning process from the ground up with the arrows he wants to use.

Also, 50 yds might be an unrealistic range at 52#/27" with an arrow that heavy.
Yes we tried his 60 yrd pin at 50 and was 3+ ft low.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
I know Wildebeest, kudu, Eland, hartebeest, and probably others. I don't think he will be hunting anything larger than the Eiland.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Had had my 12 yr old son shoot the same shaft today out of his bow. 55# but shorter draw length at 50 yrs he had to aim really high but the arrows flew straight. So leaning towards the man's bow is out of tune.