Tuning question

Recluse

FNG
So I just got into tuning and own an LCA ez green press, draw board and OMP MicroTune vise.

I decided to look at my bow from the last time it was "tuned" by the local pro shop. My 1st, 2nd and 3rd axis were pretty close and only required minor adjustments.

However, when I placed an arrow on the shelf and placed a level on it, it wasn't even close to being level. I had to raise my QAD up to get it level, but I had to raise it ALL the way up (no more adjustments possible now).

The bow is shooting well at the range, but on paper I'm getting a low tear

So this leads to my question. Assuming timing is ok, should I have lowered my nock point INSTEAD of raising the rest ? A little bit of both ? It just doesn't feel right to have my rest maxed out.

Do you guys aim to keep your rest settings somewhere in the middle ?

Rob5589

WKR
I generally eye ball for level and make sure the arrow runs through the Berger hole. I'll adjust from there as needed.

OP
Recluse

Recluse

FNG
So it sounds like having a level arrow is not as pertinent as getting good groupings or tears?

So at the range, both my field points and mechanicals have the exact same POI. Wondering if I should touch it

Reactions: Zac

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
Level arrow is just a starting point. Adjustments in nock height or rest height will most likely be required during tuning.

wapitibob

WKR
A low nock point will generally give you some horizontal grouping so I like a smidge high nock. Paper, bare shaft into a bale, all that stuff gets me close but I always finish with group tune at 60 and tweak based on what I'm seeing in my groups. The end result, I want it to group better than I'm holding.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
Almost every bow out there is going to tune 1/8 inch nock high on the string. If you are using a cable driven rest it may need to be even higher.