Tuning Sanity Check

Wrench

WKR
Have you guys ever tried weaker spine arrows? I have 340, 400 and 500 and draw 29" my bows 50-55 all prefer much weaker setups.

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
Have you guys ever tried weaker spine arrows? I have 340, 400 and 500 and draw 29" my bows 50-55 all prefer much weaker setups.
I have not, but I'm also brand new to recurves. I ordered some GT Hunter shafts in 340 and 400 to try.

I had the 300 shafts on hand already and the 3 Rivers calculator had me thinking they would work, but it's been a good learning process and I feel like I have a better understanding now of how different bow and arrow specs all (theoretically) interact.

I'm hooked...

oldgoat

WKR
So the same arrow acts weaker with the (shorter) 50 gr brass inserts vs the 2" aluminums? Good to know that insert length impacts dynamic spine behavior...
You may or may not notice it though, depends on how forgiving that particular setup is, I've had a number of setups over the years that I shot the 100gr brass inserts with 100gr field tips for practice because it seemed to take more abuse hitting hard stuff and then hunted with standard 11gr aluminum inserts and a 200gr head with no discernible flight change.

Wrench

WKR
You may or may not notice it though, depends on how forgiving that particular setup is, I've had a number of setups over the years that I shot the 100gr brass inserts with 100gr field tips for practice because it seemed to take more abuse hitting hard stuff and then hunted with standard 11gr aluminum inserts and a 200gr head with no discernible flight change.
Same. It takes 25 plus grains for me to see anything I can blame on spine issues at a minimum......footing, inserts and all inclusive in that

Blackcow

WKR
I agree on the weaker shaft. I was unclear in my original response. The point I was trying to make was that my draw length and weight were about the same, and I shoot .400 spine typically, sometimes .350 or .340 depending on the arrow. At my dw and dl, I’m kinda on the fence. If I went up or down a few pounds I’d be pretty firmly in one spine or the other. I figured the .300 were what you had and were trying to get to work for whatever reason.

Great input from guy's with similar draw length and weight. With good back tension, I top at 29" so I can't relate to that draw length. I shoot a bit lighter too. But looking at your stats, as guys have stated the 300's are too stiff. One fundamental thing I've learned over the years is how tolerant carbons are. I used to over spine a lot, until I started pushing different spines and doing more extensive testing. Hope you get dialed in, it definitely feels good.