Tuning sketch up, this finally makes sense to me

I never understood quite how tuning worked, I understood what to do but not why it worked. I sketched it out and it makes sense now. The key take away was that the point follows the string path. I’m sure this isn’t news to most but just thought it made sense. Am I still wrong? See sketch

Attachments

• 5311D6FB-211A-4EF1-BC65-D5E12086EC19.jpeg
    5311D6FB-211A-4EF1-BC65-D5E12086EC19.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 120

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It still doesn't make exact sense to me without seeing it all in motion. But this is also why I believe that different rests can cause different reactions in the arrows. With my Hostage rests, the corrections have always been the opposite of that power stroke doctrine.

I try to see it from an extreme example. Lets say the rest is 5" to the right of the power stroke. That string would seem to push the nock end of that arrow straight with the power stroke, which would then have the point end WAY to the right. To me it would make sense that if the point is way to the right and you push on the backend of it, then the point end would continue to the right.........even further right. Some have said that the point somehow corrects itself and is then to the left of the nock end after the arrow leaves the bow. I'd have to see that in super slow mo to see that happening. If you take a long wooden rod and place it on a table with the point right of a line, and push on the back end straight on that line.......the point continues to move even further right......not left.

OP
S
Ya it’s confusing but for the corrections that we know fix the flight this is the only way that makes sense to me of what is happening. Somebody needs to make some slow mow videos of this

Ya it’s confusing but for the corrections that we know fix the flight this is the only way that makes sense to me of what is happening. Somebody needs to make some slow mow videos of this
The Bow Shop Bible app has a great slow motion video showing how rest positioning affects arrow flight. The recommended rest windage adjustments for left-right tuning always seemed counterintuitive to me until I watched that video. You have to buy the app to access the video though.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Sometimes it's even more confusing when the "doctrinally correct" corrections make things worse. Just as an example......last week with my bow and QAD HDX rest......BH's (both fixed and mechanical) were consistently right at 1.5-2" right of FP's at 40 yards. The doctrine correction would be to move the rest "right" to correct for that. I barely bumped the rest to the right (just off the hash mark it was on) and BH's were even further right of FP's.....like 4-5". So I bumped it back to where it was originally, and the BH's closed back up to where they were originally. I was going to try bumping the rest the same amount left, but I don't want it any closer to my riser....left-handed bow. So I'll adjust it all using the yokes.

So, without blades on the front, the fieldpoint continues to push to the right, while the broadhead grabs air and tries to stabilize quicker.

That's how I see it anyways, don't know if it's correct.

Now make it extreme and yes, those blades would probably plane it off in the wrong direction even faster, we are hopeful all starting with things pretty close.

It still doesn't make exact sense to me without seeing it all in motion. But this is also why I believe that different rests can cause different reactions in the arrows. With my Hostage rests, the corrections have always been the opposite of that power stroke doctrine.

I try to see it from an extreme example. Lets say the rest is 5" to the right of the power stroke. That string would seem to push the nock end of that arrow straight with the power stroke, which would then have the point end WAY to the right. To me it would make sense that if the point is way to the right and you push on the backend of it, then the point end would continue to the right.........even further right. Some have said that the point somehow corrects itself and is then to the left of the nock end after the arrow leaves the bow. I'd have to see that in super slow mo to see that happening. If you take a long wooden rod and place it on a table with the point right of a line, and push on the back end straight on that line.......the point continues to move even further right......not left.

Sometimes it's even more confusing when the "doctrinally correct" corrections make things worse. Just as an example......last week with my bow and QAD HDX rest......BH's (both fixed and mechanical) were consistently right at 1.5-2" right of FP's at 40 yards. The doctrine correction would be to move the rest "right" to correct for that. I barely bumped the rest to the right (just off the hash mark it was on) and BH's were even further right of FP's.....like 4-5". So I bumped it back to where it was originally, and the BH's closed back up to where they were originally. I was going to try bumping the rest the same amount left, but I don't want it any closer to my riser....left-handed bow. So I'll adjust it all using the yokes.
Goes to show that pragmatism is the number one rule in tuning...if an adjustment in a particular direction doesn't help, try adjusting in the opposite direction (regardless of what conventional doctrine advises).