Turkey and the rain??

So I have a turkey hunt booked for May, I am already wondering if it’s going to rain haha with my luck

How much less likely are you to get a bird in the rain?

Pn8hall

WKR
My best turkey hunts have always been in the rain. A full on thunderstorm will shut them down but right after it moves out the hunting heats up. A nice steady drizzle will move birds out of the woods and into the fields where they are easy to setup on. At least where I hunt in northern Missouri this always runs true. Have some good rain gear on hand and settle in for some action. I would pick a nice rainy day over bluebird skies every time. Good luck!

When it rains its easy to find them.. they will be in fields. If there are no fields. Well then they just do what turkeys do.

FURMAN

WKR
I have killed more turkeys than I can count but never one in the rain. I have gotten to the point where I will not hunt them on a rainy day. Obviously if you paid for a hunt you are just going to have to hunt if it does rain.

manitou1

WKR
I have killed many in the rain, some in downpours. They usually come in silent though. Now that I am older and more for the experience and less driven for getting a kill, I don't hunt in heavy rain.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
During the rain, hunt fields, power lines, old logging roads, small clearings,etc.

Definitely make a point to be in the woods immediately after the storm passes.

xcutter

WKR
I agree when the sun pops out the gobblers usually get fired up. I usually camp out in a pop up blind with decoys then start chasing turkeys when the heavy rain stops.

bradb

WKR
fields are real good for turkeys in the rain! Get out and hunt and a ground blind makes it suck A LOT less

fatlander

WKR
I’ve killed quite a few of my archery turkeys in the rain. It’s more conducive to that style of hunting, sitting in a field with decoys. Turkeys seek fields during the rain.

If you’re hunting turkeys the traditional way of moving and calling, I wouldn’t sit there just to just soaked and hear nothing. I love turkey hunting but there’s no way I’d sit in a downpour unless in a blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
0 chance I'll kill one in the rain. I'm a fair weather turkey hunter. Weather affects animals much less than us. Unless it is a full on downpour they'll be out doing turkey things.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
I have em all around me and I watch them daily. Rain is just another day to a turkey.

Rainy weather may in fact help your hunting with the extra dripping noise and rain movement.

slatebuilder

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said they seem to show up in fields during light rain around here. Heavy rain seems to make them vanish.

I haven’t had much luck seeing turkeys in the rain. But they sure do gobble when they hear thunder. That’s an impressive sound.

Fields also make sense because I have a hard time placing direction of sound with rain noise in the trees. Not a problem for just a couple hundred yards, but placing the far off gobbles in a patter of drops on leaves feels like I’m just sitting there like a dummy.

BuckWild

FNG
If it's not pouring down rain and just a nice little drizzle, the birds usually end up in open fields and allow for a nice little field set up. GOOD LUCK!