Turkey choke dilemma

km10

FNG
I was hoping to get some advice on what choke would be best for my turkey setup.

I’ve got a 12 gauge browning cynergy wicked wing, and some federal grand slam 3” #6’s.

I’ve looked at carlsons, jebs, kicks, and browning chokes. I’m not really familiar with the constriction ranges for the different sizes of shot, and it’s been a bit confusing trying to figure it all out. I’d just like to be deadly at 35-40, I’m not looking to shoot 70 yards. I can also buy different ammo and shelf the slams, I just like how cheap they are.

Basically, I’d just like some advice on what chokes you guys would suggest based on constriction, quality, performance with lead, etc. Thanks for your time.

I’m no expert, but I really like full chokes and a duplex load. I don’t shoot them flying, just aim for the face.

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
I use a dedicated turkey choke, typically extra full. Have heavy shot brand and carlsons I believe. With a 3” turkey load they really make headshots easy and turkeys drop on the spot. Turkey chokes keep your patterns tighter which can help stray bbs from getting in your meat. Personally like Remington nitro turkey shells have had great success in my guns.

UA_Blake

FNG
I’m sure there are a lot of good options but what I use is an Indian Creek. I killed a Turkey at 55 yards stone dead last year with a 20 gauge and federal TSS.

dtrkyman

WKR
Generally speaking larger shot sizes would work better with more open chokes. Constriction needs to based off initial bore size, IE an over bored barrel will have a larger internal diameter than a standard barrel.

Some browning's are back bored or over bored, I believe the cynergy is one of them. I would look at a .670 constriction tube, with most modern turkey loads that ill get you 40yds, no worry about 70 yds cuz those shells will never get you there!

Brands of choke is a whole other can of worms, on a budget Primos tight wad and carlsons, high end Indian Creek, Jeb's Sumtoy.

Sumtoy is a great company, you could call them and tell them what gun and shells you are planning on shooting and they will recommend a choke.

Lots of others, keep in mind they are not plug and play, one choke and load combo will work better in one gun than another, you may have to play a little but should get 40yds quite easily.

As far as lead loads Winchester long beards are top performers for distance but are crazy tight up close.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Oldgobbler forum has a ton of info about which guns and loads like which constriction. I'd go do some digging there, figure out which constriction looks to fit your set-up and then order a choke in that constriction from a good manufacturer like Indian creek, jeb's, carslons, etc...

You could probably speed up the process and just contact one of those manufacturers directly and get some guidance on which choke would work best for your setup from them as well.

JEEF

FNG
I think from what I've come across, the best approach is picking a choke that you like (lots of good ones to choose from) then just like sighting in your rifle, try a different selection of ammo to see what your particular gun/choke combo likes the best (count # of holes inside 10 inch ring for reference).

Oldgobbler forum has a ton of info about which guns and loads like which constriction. I'd go do some digging there, figure out which constriction looks to fit your set-up and then order a choke in that constriction from a good manufacturer like Indian creek, jeb's, carslons, etc...

You could probably speed up the process and just contact one of those manufacturers directly and get some guidance on which choke would work best for your setup from them as well.
I just bought a new Benelli M2 20 ga and have been reading through this forum for the past few days, it definitely is looking like Indian creek is a general favorite over there.
I’m sure there are a lot of good options but what I use is an Indian Creek. I killed a Turkey at 55 yards stone dead last year with a 20 gauge and federal TSS.
This is the combo I'm likely going with.

UA_Blake

FNG
One other piece of advice is buy your TSS ammo now. If it’s not already gone, it will be soon

sargent

WKR
One other piece of advice is buy your TSS ammo now. If it’s not already gone, it will be soon
Ha Ha! I read the first part of the post, went over to Midway and bought some TSS, then came back and read this. Thanks for the reminder fellas, that Federal TSS has done well for me out of a Primos Jellyhead choke... just can't afford many misses.

Comp-N-Choke has some affordable chokes $55 last i looked. I use their turkey choke and Federal Tss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tod osier

WKR
I was hoping to get some advice on what choke would be best for my turkey setup.

I’ve got a 12 gauge browning cynergy wicked wing, and some federal grand slam 3” #6’s.

I’ve looked at carlsons, jebs, kicks, and browning chokes. I’m not really familiar with the constriction ranges for the different sizes of shot, and it’s been a bit confusing trying to figure it all out. I’d just like to be deadly at 35-40, I’m not looking to shoot 70 yards. I can also buy different ammo and shelf the slams, I just like how cheap they are.

Basically, I’d just like some advice on what chokes you guys would suggest based on constriction, quality, performance with lead, etc. Thanks for your time.

Nice thing about going with a small manufacturer is to be able to call them. I've called Indian Creek to get recommendations, they have been friendly and very helpful. Their chokes are fantastic.

hobbes

WKR
I've used a comp n choke turkey choke with lead with very good rests, but it really varies from gun to gun. Calling Sumtoy would probably get you started in the right direction.

Gobblernation forum would likely have someone that has shot that gun before with lead.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
I've used several Carlsons in all my shotguns for many years. Typically extra full for turkey depending on shot size/make up

FLATHEAD

WKR
I quit using xtra full after after a few close range misses.
After that I went regular full choke with no problems.

MJB

WKR
I always use modified out of my SBE

I'd pattern the gun with the chokes you have and see if you need anything.

I use TSS in #9, it produces 2-3 times the pellets that 5, 6, or 7 do on a target.

I'm a fan of Carlson's, have several of them for my Benelli's, Franchi's and my CZ AT Redhead 20 gauge. I have two for the Redhead. Dropped a bird at 65 paces (though it was closer) with the Redhead and #7 TSS last season. That being said, I also missed a T-Rex of a bird at 30 yards with my 20 gauge Franchi on Opening Day Last season. Called him off a private field onto Public within a 2 minute window. Just not set up right.

Needless to say though, I'm a fan of the Carlson's.

Lots a great info here - its fun to geek out on gear. But just remember you don't have to overthink/sweat this. Whatever chokes came with you shotgun and regular high brass 5's or 6's are pretty darn effective. My "turkey shotgun" is an old hammer LC Smith with what was mod/full chokes over 100 years ago (would be more like full/xfull today!) powered by a box of fall pheasant shells. It just rolls them! Good luck this spring with whatever you choose!
DPUIwGi.jpg

OP
K

km10

FNG
Huge thanks to all that replied. I called carlson’s and decided to go with their ported choke. Great price and the constriction should like the ammo I’ve got. Hoping to get another box or two of different shells just to try and compare with what I’ve got. Good luck all and thanks again for the help.