Turkey choke dilemma

WCB

WKR
I'm a bit late but Grand Slam like .665-.650 constrictions. Any thing in that range should be good to go.

FLATHEAD

WKR
My son, at 11 years old killed the largest gobbler I've ever held with an
old Sweet Sixteen, modified choke and a #6 pheasant load @ close to 30 yards.
One shot absolutely stoned that bird. One of the very few I've
seen that never even flopped.

MO-CHSPKE

FNG
Indian Creek. There is a reason they have held the World Record in the NWTF still target competition for many years.

Docpk

FNG
I use a Benelli 12 gauge and use a Carlson’s Longbeard XR choke coupled with Winchester longbeard 3 1/2” #5 or #6 shells. Great combo out to 60 yards consistently.

I use a Benelli 12 gauge and use a Carlson’s Longbeard XR choke coupled with Winchester longbeard 3 1/2” #5 or #6 shells. Great combo out to 60 yards consistently.

#6 shot out to 60 yards? I thought the KE for ethical kill with #6 was 40 yards.

Hall17

FNG
I have a few different shotguns I use for turkeys and they all have different chokes in them. I have found that not one choke will work the same for each gun or load. Once I find one that suites my needs I am done tinkering. I like a tight pattern at 20 so if I need to I can kill him at 40-50 yards. Everyone has different opinions on chokes, guns and loads. I've never shot TSS yet out of any of my guns. I have surplus of turkey loads that shoot well out of my guns so no reason to buy TSS at this point. When I was looking for choke I researched what people like for that specific gun and paid attention to what loads they were shooting out of it. This can save you time and money

MO-CHSPKE

FNG
#6 shot out to 60 yards? I thought the KE for ethical kill with #6 was 40 yards.

For lead. But the new heavier stuff will absolutely kill out to 60 yards. The Federal Heavyweight, Winchester XR, and TSS. The TSS will kill 60 yards with a .410. Is it recommended?…..No way I’d do it. But it can be done.

Docpk

FNG
Pattern your gun with different loads at different distances before getting in the field. 3 1/2 magnum shells w/ #6 shot has done the job for me at 60 yds. If I am thinking it will be a day where all shots will be long I will drop to #5.

Docpk

FNG
Took these two last season in NH. Benelli Super Vinci, Winchester Longbeard 3 1/2" #6. One at 46 yds the other at 62 yds. 19lbs and 20.5 lbs.
1644951013102.png

I was hoping to get some advice on what choke would be best for my turkey setup.

I’ve got a 12 gauge browning cynergy wicked wing, and some federal grand slam 3” #6’s.

I’ve looked at carlsons, jebs, kicks, and browning chokes. I’m not really familiar with the constriction ranges for the different sizes of shot, and it’s been a bit confusing trying to figure it all out. I’d just like to be deadly at 35-40, I’m not looking to shoot 70 yards. I can also buy different ammo and shelf the slams, I just like how cheap they are.

Basically, I’d just like some advice on what chokes you guys would suggest based on constriction, quality, performance with lead, etc. Thanks for your time.
I run sumtoy and indian creek chokes. I like sumtoy because it’s a small operation out of GA. Quality chokes. Indian creek are just as good but aesthetically look better to me.

I started shooting winchester longbeards until a buddy started loading TSS. I like smacking birds at 25yds but reaching out to 50 now is a not a problem.

Give William at Sumtoy a shout and tell him what your shooting and he will give you his recommendation. On my 12ga I’m shooting a .656 and I think a .555 on my 20.

Pile O’ Osceola’s. Opening morning triple between a buddy and me.

Attachments

• 130BCD25-218A-4FE4-93A5-B93691E733D4.jpeg
    130BCD25-218A-4FE4-93A5-B93691E733D4.jpeg
    590.9 KB · Views: 24

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
Lots a great info here - its fun to geek out on gear. But just remember you don't have to overthink/sweat this. Whatever chokes came with you shotgun and regular high brass 5's or 6's are pretty darn effective. My "turkey shotgun" is an old hammer LC Smith with what was mod/full chokes over 100 years ago (would be more like full/xfull today!) powered by a box of fall pheasant shells. It just rolls them! Good luck this spring with whatever you choose!
DPUIwGi.jpg
Love that LC Smith. Just inherited one from my father. Mine doesn't have hammers though.

MO-CHSPKE

FNG
I run sumtoy and indian creek chokes. I like sumtoy because it’s a small operation out of GA. Quality chokes. Indian creek are just as good but aesthetically look better to me.

Indian Creek is a small operation as well. Located not too far north of me here in Southeast Missouri.

The first step should be to settle on what ammo you would like to shoot, be it lead(reg or LB XR), Hevi, TSS, etc....then focus on choke selection.

Cool thing about that O/U is you can have the best of both worlds in each pipe!

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Lots a great info here - its fun to geek out on gear. But just remember you don't have to overthink/sweat this. Whatever chokes came with you shotgun and regular high brass 5's or 6's are pretty darn effective. My "turkey shotgun" is an old hammer LC Smith with what was mod/full chokes over 100 years ago (would be more like full/xfull today!) powered by a box of fall pheasant shells. It just rolls them! Good luck this spring with whatever you choose!
DPUIwGi.jpg
Not as cool as your gun but this old HR my dad gave me years ago is my “turkey gun”

Attachments

• F8B5128F-2B7E-48E5-89B1-AE1286EA6A60.jpeg
    F8B5128F-2B7E-48E5-89B1-AE1286EA6A60.jpeg
    613 KB · Views: 24

Fordguy

WKR
Not as cool as your gun but this old HR my dad gave me years ago is my “turkey gun”
Those are cool guns. Simple, light, and they get the job done. It's a shame that Remington got rid of them when they bought Marlin.

tk44

FNG
Classified Approved
Pattern Master Code Black w/ 12 ga TSS

100% hit/kill rate so far.

DPUIwGi.jpg
But, but... this is where we come to overthink everything! Don't take that away from us! :D

Last edited: