Turkey Decoy Set Ups

What Decoy set ups do you guys like to use. I have been using a B-mobil with a jake fan and beard and two cheap feather flex foam hens and have limited out every year but I have never really had crazy encounters birds.They were always shy coming in. I did have one tom sprint in to a breeding pair but that was it.What set ups do you guys like . Also for those that use the high end DSD decoys do you think they are worth it and if so which set ups do you like.

NEhunter

WKR
DSDs are very nice. I run a Zink avian x jake and hen and have killed many birds over them. I have had countless jakes come in to fight the jake decoy and I will just watch the action and many times the fight and commotion will pull a tom in. Man I love decoying turkey's in the spring!:)

trkyslr

WKR
Dsd are worth every penny... Pretty much 99% time ive had birds come in theyve either whooped on the jake or humped the hen dec. And thats stats from approx 125 birds (dead) over the last 5 years from hunts ive witnessed while using dsd's.

Setup i usually put the jale with submissive hen out 8-10 yards with feeder or alert hen off to the side.

Beastmode

WKR
Dsd are worth every penny... Pretty much 99% time ive had birds come in theyve either whooped on the jake or humped the hen dec. And thats stats from approx 125 birds (dead) over the last 5 years from hunts ive witnessed while using dsd's.

Setup i usually put the jale with submissive hen out 8-10 yards with feeder or alert hen off to the side.

I have seen Chris's setup with his DSD. Incredible how good these decoys are.

bradb

WKR
Dsd expensive but the best reactions i have had from turkeys to my decoys of any. That said I did kill a pile with the cheapest fold ups, just a tom fan on a stick etc.

OP
L
I love turkey hunting and I think the whole experience and interaction with they bird is what its all about. I have heard how great the DSD decoys work. I was always curious to see if they are that much better. If you where going to purchase them what order would you get them. I really like the look of breeding pair.

Man Im fired up turkey season is almost here!

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
I sometimes don't even use a decoy. There have been more times than I like to admit where I have a bird coming in hot, and when he sees the decoy, he hangs up at 60 yards and waits for the decoy to come to him. Actually thinking back, I would say the birds that have come charging in the fastest were hunts where I used no decoy.

Mark

WKR
I love turkey hunting and I think the whole experience and interaction with they bird is what its all about. I have heard how great the DSD decoys work. I was always curious to see if they are that much better. If you where going to purchase them what order would you get them. I really like the look of breeding pair.

A jake and a submissive hen (breeding pair) is what I would purchase first. If you could only pick up one DSD decoy, I would suggest the jake. That said, you may find it difficult to find them this time of year. DSD is out of stock, though Cabelas may have a few. Order soon if you plan to buy them this year.

trkyslr

WKR

1. Jake
2. Alert hen
3. Submissive hen
4. Feeder hen
5. Strutter tom
That be my order of purchase.. And i dont have the strutter

trkyslr

WKR
I sometimes don't even use a decoy. There have been more times than I like to admit where I have a bird coming in hot, and when he sees the decoy, he hangs up at 60 yards and waits for the decoy to come to him. Actually thinking back, I would say the birds that have come charging in the fastest were hunts where I used no decoy.

The days of birds hangin up when they see the decoy stopped 6 years ago when i started using dsd's... Theyre that life like.. They commit every time as long as something else doesnt bother them.

bradb

WKR
Only one the upright hen without question for me. Many times as the season go along or in areas with lots of jakes a jake can do more harm then good.......of course other times it works great. A hen is a safer bet with only one. I will often just take my upright hen and set it directly on the ground with the jake over it. basically using it as submissive hen with out me buying one.

OP
L
Just bought the breeding pair and upright hen. Can't wait to see what all the hype is about.

mAv

Lil-Rokslider
I snagged a Zink Avian X Feeder Hen the other day at Cabelas for cheap on clearance, just picked up an HS Strut Jake from camofire for ~$30 shipped, decent little decoy for the price

IAHNTR

WKR
I have had the same experience Brad. I have the upright, feeding and jake and have had the best luck with JUST the upright hen out. That's the one I would purchase first. I am going to steal your submissive upright on the ground idea.

Only one the upright hen without question for me. Many times as the season go along or in areas with lots of jakes a jake can do more harm then good.......of course other times it works great. A hen is a safer bet with only one. I will often just take my upright hen and set it directly on the ground with the jake over it. basically using it as submissive hen with out me buying one.

HUNTMAN

FNG
I have been hunting turkeys since i was 8. 27 years. I have used decoys the whole time from a pink:cool: flamingo painted brown to a mounted hen. 3 years ago i hunted with dsds. Wow is all i can say. The stuff you see on T.V is what started to happen in my setups. It is well worth the money. Best of luck . Come on spring. HUNT

Most of the time I never use a decoy, I set up in a spot where the bird has to come into range to find me. The only time I use a decoy is when I decide to pull the bow out, in that case I use upright DSD hen to distract the tom while I draw back.

I prefer the DSD decoys as well. The jake and the upright hen seem to be a good combo for me. I'm sure it has been mentioned but the upright hen can double as the breeder if needed. I do like the looks of their new leading hen!

dsd's for me unless im going deep for them, ill carry the dsd for 5 mile trips anything over that im using the zinks and rolling it up for the trip in.

OP
L
Just got the dsd decoys. Man they look great cant wait to try them out. 1month till season opens