Turkey Decoys

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted turkeys for a few years now and we do fairly well just running and gunning but now I’m wanting to try and get a turkey with my bow so I’m looking for decoy suggestions. Can a guy getaway with just one decoy? Say a lone hen and hunt that single decoy throughout the entire season? Any info you guys care to share with me as far a decoying turkeys would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

If you're going to pick one up, pick up a jake. Way more interactions with a Jake vs a lone hen. Think of it this way, if youre' calling , tom or jake steps out sees the jake decoy and hears the hen............

FYI, I've killed quite a few with the bow. I use a Hen Jake set and its pretty much lights out.

OP
Kgentry

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
There’s so many decoys to pick from and you and recommend?

I've used a few different makes and models, but I broke down and got a pair of DSD jake and hen and they are very life like. Alot of guys rush when the turkeys come in. No need really. Just remember 99.9 % of the time in my experience the tom will go to the jake. I would say always, but there is no certainty.....

Edit....... If using a blind, put the decoys 10-12 yds out front, even closer if you want. That way if you get a hang up he may still be within 20yds. Also, the last 3-4 years I've been using the head choppers. I've yet to chop a head clean off, but I haven't had a loss since . I actually pulled a shot last year and hit a big tom right on the wing butt with a head chopper and anchored him right there. They are deadly.

Last edited:
I've been using a single half-strut jake for a few years with good success.

Mine is the Hunter Specialties one. I darkened it with a little flat black paint since I found it to be a little too golden.

When I bought it, I was between the Avian-x and DSD. I chose the HS over the Avian because it is "inflatable" but not airtight. I believe the Avian blows up like a balloon. I passed on the Dave Smith for cost only.

If I had a little more opportunity I would buy the new Dave Smith.

Last edited:
OP
Kgentry

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
How important do you feel having a Marriam decoy for hunting Marriams is?

Jimss

WKR
I've shot a lot of merriams over the years with rio decoys. I don't think it matters. I use a variety of decoys types. I REALLY like miss perfect decoys for running and gunning. They fold up to the size of my hand and are fairly realistic. You can change up the head on hens from feeder, to upright to breeder. I've also had good luck with Avian x. You can deflate them when carrying but they are still a bit bulky and heavy. A lot of gobbler hunters rave about DSD's and say they make a difference. Unfortunately they are super expensive and relatively large for lugging around in the field. Some decoys move a little in "a breeze" which is nice unless it is super windy and they go crazy!

I have been using the avian x full strut decoy for the past three years by itself - no hen decoy. I also use a real fan, not the synthetic fan included with the decoy. 2017 was incredible! My hunting buddy and I both killed archery toms and three other birds were killed by gun over this decoy by friends. 2018 was also good but only two archery toms were taken. 2019 I botched an opportunity with my bow and, in general, the birds were much less responsive to it. Not sure why but just seems like each bird reacts differently depending on many, many factors...

I use a avian x strutter Jake with a real fan and a mad calls feeding hen. They're big and bulky but just plain work.

Fatcamp

WKR
I've used a few different makes and models, but I broke down and got a pair of DSD jake and hen and they are very life like. Alot of guys rush when the turkeys come in. No need really. Just remember 99.9 % of the time in my experience the tom will go to the jake. I would say always, but there is no certainty.....

Edit....... If using a blind, put the decoys 10-12 yds out front, even closer if you want. That way if you get a hang up he may still be within 20yds. Also, the last 3-4 years I've been using the head choppers. I've yet to chop a head clean off, but I haven't had a loss since . I actually pulled a shot last year and hit a big tom right on the wing but with a head chopper and anchored him right there. They are deadly.

How do you sight in your head choppers? Are they similar to your broadheads?

I have a lot of full length shafts with 5 inch feathers that I shoot with my longbow. They shoot great off my compound no adjustment at all.

Just get an old pillow, or something soft like a pillow and put a dot on it, paper sticker etc. If it’s soft enough you won’t break any blades.

I’d recommend a full length shaft with big feathers if possible. I’m not a tuning freak but they fly excellent out to 25 yds even though every turkey I shoot is sub 15.

Pic on the right you can see those big yellow feathers a split second before lights out.

Attachments

• F6384F93-7607-4DA0-8D65-638453697B7B.png
    F6384F93-7607-4DA0-8D65-638453697B7B.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • 2CA3A10C-675D-46BC-83F7-12BDEC325666.jpeg
    2CA3A10C-675D-46BC-83F7-12BDEC325666.jpeg
    618.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Coming to the Jake as always ended up with two that evening.

Attachments

• 953BFB11-E772-456D-9149-4D57DB69259A.png
    953BFB11-E772-456D-9149-4D57DB69259A.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • 2E219836-8184-4590-9793-E6445130F4D0.png
    2E219836-8184-4590-9793-E6445130F4D0.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 39

Edit....... If using a blind, put the decoys 10-12 yds out front, even closer if you want. That way if you get a hang up he may still be within 20yds. Also, the last 3-4 years I've been using the head choppers. I've yet to chop a head clean off, but I haven't had a loss since . I actually pulled a shot last year and hit a big tom right on the wing but with a head chopper and anchored him right there. They are deadly.

What broad heads have you been using thinking of trying some Magnus bullheads wasn’t sure how they flew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I should have read the rest of the thread before I posted haha

No issue. They work well you will not be disappointed. I just got another set from Magnus. The good thing is, they're like a judo point and almost impossible to lose (in the field can't help you around the house). You will most likely break the blades after you shoot in the field but it's a non issue as you can get replacement blades.

Aside from the issue of losing birds with bad shots, I like the fact there is no meat damage.

DSD are the nicest ones I've used. The new Avian X decoys look way lot better than their old ones, they also are smaller so they pack a lot better. I can fit two Hen Avian X deocys in my DSD bag with a Jake.

SoDaky

WKR
I only bowhunt them.If going light I use a lone hen.I have 2 DSD hens but if using only one,I use the upright head hen.Normally though I use a hen and an Avian Jake.I occasionally use a Strutter but only real early in the season(shot one a few days ago over one)or very late in season when breeding is basically over.
I use Magnus bullheads most of the time but always have a Rage or 2 handy.(shot 2 so far this year with Rages)I have the Rage ready cause I don't shoot the bullheads beyond 14-15 yds.Not cause of accuracy(they shoot accurately to at least 30 for me),but rather a head bob that causes a miss-or worse.
Most of the time I use a ground blind.
Good hunting to all!

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Save yourself a lot of money and go with Avian X instead of DSD. I hunt a couple weeks every year with my group of friends. They bought DSD and I own Avian X. There is no practical difference other than $$$$.

If you’re going to use only one decoy I’d say use a half strut Jake. They can hear the hen and the Jake brings them in. Like others have said.