Turkey Decoys

fatlander

WKR
I’ve killed more gobblers bow hunting over my DSD Jake than I ever did with the avian Jake.

The dsd Jake is the standard at which all other turkey decoys are measured. That should tell you all you need to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How important do you feel having a Marriam decoy for hunting Marriams is?

Not of any importance at all. Turkeys have no idea what subspecies they are.

One day in north-central Nebraska, we killed three toms- one looked like an eastern, another had rio coloration, and the third was about as Merriam as anything.

That area and many others had been stocked and re-stocked over the years, creating a bunch of subspecies hybridization.

You could throw a Merriam decoy in the southeast or an eastern in Montana and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

OP
Kgentry

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up finding a deal on a upright hen DSD for $90 so I picked it up. My buddy has a 3/4 Jake I’m not sure which on but we are going to give them hell tomorrow. Unfortunately it’ll be 65deg today with highs of 30 and snow tomorrow so we will see what that does for us. I’m going to really try and get it done with my recurve bow so that will be another obstacle but I’m really looking forward to it.

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
DSD are the best, but also very very expensive. I have half avian x and half flex tone. All bought on sale after the season. The Flextone hens are actually excellent for the $20 or so I paid for them. All that said friends of mine have the new HD avian x Jake and it looks absolutely ridiculously real

Ive had mixed results with decoys. Last few years I've been using them slightly out of view so they are not visible from a ways away. I use them to bring those gobbler just within range after they have already committed.