Turkey Diaphragms

JPD350

WKR
Last year I started using diaphragm calls and every time I put one in my mouth the latex was stuck together and I had to try and peel the it apart , after a couple days of doing this the delicate latex cuts would rip rendering the call worthless. I tried taking a drink of water to rinse them off in the field but it never worked, what a PIA.

So this year I bought 6 of them so I could have plenty of spares. I have been practicing with them at home and rinsing them then placing a toothpick between the latex so they wont stick but this isn't very practicable for in the field, I'll do it if I have to but still what a PIA.

What do you all do to keep them operable?

LOL, yes I clean my mouth twice a day

bradb

WKR
been using them for 25 years or so and have had very few ever stick much or for more then a few seconds. I just take them from my mouth and throw them in my vest pocket. Often using them more then 1 year. Probably hunt birds 30 days a year. Only thing I can think of is your drinking or eating high sugar stuff and its getting in them.

* I will often blow lightly into the front of the reeds, so that may help or unstick them and I don't even notice

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
I cut the forks off plastic forks and keep a pile of em in my vest. I often forget to add them at the end if the day and I just peel them apart after getting them soaked with spit.

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
been using them for 25 years or so and have had very few ever stick much or for more then a few seconds. I just take them from my mouth and throw them in my vest pocket. Often using them more then 1 year. Probably hunt birds 30 days a year. Only thing I can think of is your drinking or eating high sugar stuff and its getting in them.

* I will often blow lightly into the front of the reeds, so that may help or unstick them and I don't even notice
I had wondered if was something that I had eaten during the day but these new ones that I've been using I have made sure to start with a fresh mouth and they are still sticking.

I may just keep one in my mouth the whole day so it doesn't dry out.

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
I cut the forks off plastic forks and keep a pile of em in my vest. I often forget to add them at the end if the day and I just peel them apart after getting them soaked with spit.
I can see the plastic fork pieces working better and easier than toothpicks, good idea!

N2TRKYS

WKR
I pull the reeds apart a day or two before the season comes in. I’ve never had any break while doing so. I find that they are easily separated each day by just putting them in my mouth. I keep them in a call holder and use the same ones for several years.

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
Mouth wash and a snuff can, throw the mouth calls in the snuff can then dump some mouth wash in it then refrigerate. Not only will your calls not have latex stick but your mouth will have a clean minty flavor.
You can thank me later

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bradb

WKR
Your saying there not supposed to taste like stale mouth that's been sitting in a hot vest, dirt, and bug spray? Lol

RMM

WKR
Mouth wash and a snuff can, throw the mouth calls in the snuff can then dump some mouth wash in it then refrigerate. Not only will your calls not have latex stick but your mouth will have a clean minty flavor.
You can thank me later

I would think the mouth wash would degrade the latex wouldn't it?

Jimss

WKR
Are you trying different brands? You may try a different type? I haven’t had a problem. Put them in a case when done and pull them out to use them. I don’t check to see if they are stuck because they always work when I get them wet in my mouth.

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
Are you trying different brands? You may try a different type? I haven’t had a problem. Put them in a case when done and pull them out to use them. I don’t check to see if they are stuck because they always work when I get them wet in my mouth.
This year I went with Woodhaven in hopes for better quality which so far they seem to be but I am still having to pull them apart after they dry if I don't put a toothpick in it, even if I rinse them in water before putting them away. I haven't used these Woodhaven calls in a week long hunting situation yet but after fighting with cheap calls last year I will be taking care of these as best I can, I hate to utter any sound that isn't what I want.

I hate to think that my spit is like glue.........

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
I would think the mouth wash would degrade the latex wouldn't it?
No but over time, it will break down the glue on the tape. But for short periods, it never bothered mine. I forgot I used 50/50 water and non alcohol mouth wash.

Its been about 8 years since I have turkey hunted. Between working 2 jobs and family, my time has been very limited.

Reactions: RMM

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I chew on a call at the start of every day. Then firmly/slightly pull the reeds outwards with thumb/forefinger. A few yelps later and it's good as new.

Jimss

WKR
I use eoodhavens a lot with 0 problems. I don’t even look at mine before calling to know if they are stuck together or not. I just put them in my mouth to soak them and start calling.

dtrkyman

WKR
You guys must have magic calls, mine are always stuck together the next day unless I am hunting a state that allows hunting until sunset.

I usually keep some organic type hippy mouthwash in my gear tote and clean the calls periodically.

I have heard lots of guys in the field calling that sounded like their reeds were stuck together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
You guys must have magic calls, mine are always stuck together the next day unless I am hunting a state that allows hunting until sunset.

I usually keep some organic type hippy mouthwash in my gear tote and clean the calls periodically.

I have heard lots of guys in the field calling that sounded like their reeds were stuck together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been backpacking in for my turkey hunts lately and it's often warm with very little humidity in NM and things dry out fast, including my calls, with that being said I have a game plan after listening to everyone. The plastic fork ends work really well, way easier to insert than toothpicks with very little danger of poking thru. I also always pack in a few oz's of mouthwash so I will clean the calls each evening with a 50/50 mix and I'll be ready to rock and roll for the AM.
I want to be able to pull the call out, stick it in my mouth and make perfect sounds every time without thought or concern.
Thanks for everyones replies!

dtrkyman

WKR
Good to see a New Mexico turkey hunter, only guys I saw hunting them last year just drove around on sxs.

Backpack turkey hunt sounds awesome, I did kill one 4 miles from the truck last year but no back packing!

Good luck!