Turkey gun sights?

I only have one shotgun, I’ll use it for turkey and duck hunting. It’s a supernova 28. It has just the front bead on it stock, my question is what do you all use for turkey hunting?

Best to just get like a truglo front and rear combo, or go with a red dot?

I just use the front sight of my shotgun. Only missed one bird. Just pattern your gun and see where POA/POI is and you'll be fine.

Turkey hunting doesn't need to be complicated or expensive. Don't over think it.

JGross1

FNG
I just use the front sight of my shotgun. Only missed one bird. Just pattern your gun and see where POA/POI is and you'll be fine.

Turkey hunting doesn't need to be complicated or expensive. Don't over think it.
Agree 100 %. You do not need to overcomplicate it to be successful.

I have used both the front bead and the truglo. I've killed and missed with both. Just make sure your anchor point is the same every time.

bradb

WKR
I like a red dot for turkey. For one its much easier when I take youths with not a lot of hunting experience to keep the dot on then there head down on the stock using the bead proper. Second my Beneli shoots very low and it sucks to aim almost over a birds head. But shot plenty with a plain bead also and a bead should be just fine in most cases. I don't like a red dot for wing shooting

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
I have used both the front bead and the truglo. I've killed and missed with both. Just make sure your anchor point is the same every time.

That’s the point of a rear sight. It makes you maintain that anchor point. With just a front bead, it is very easy to pick you head up to “see” the bird causing you to shoot over the target.

I use a snap on Truglo gobble dot sight. Idiot proof. The red dots are also awesome if you have some extra cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
You probably won't want to hunt ducks with a red dot and won't want to take the red dot off and on from one season to the next. However, I used to do it with a shotgun scope for deer hunting. I mounted it on a saddle and removed the saddle after deer season ended leaving the scope mounted to the saddle.

I would start with the single bead and see how you do with some targets. You can get by with a little head raise at 30 yards or so sometimes, but up close it'll kill you since your pattern starts to shrink to the size of a baseball or softball at around 10 yards. A good cheek weld looking straight down the rib should suffice but I'd verify point of impact vs point of aim.

The problem arises when you get excited and do as mentioned above and shoot over the bird. A back sight would help and I did fine with a simple double bead for years. A simple snap on/ screw on set up could definitely help but it's up to you.

I have dedicated turkey guns and have went to Vortex Venoms in the last few years, but they are not a requirement. I would start simple and only add a sight if you think you'll really need it.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I would check out the Burris Fastfire, if you're dead set on adding a sight. Turkeys, ducks, dove...doesn't matter. It'll work for all

WCB

WKR
Use just the factory bead or a fiber optic front bead....don't have to mess around going back and forth changing things on your gun

I have a set of Truglo, rib-mounted, rifled sights on my turkey gun. I had a bad habit of not looking straight down the rib and shot over a few birds. The rifled sights fixed that problem.

Fordguy

WKR
The more basic your sight is, the less likely it is to fail on you when you need it. I've used a bead, I've used a red dot, and I've used a rifle sight on a vent rib. I've managed to miss 2 birds, both my fault and not the sight system. The misses were with the red dot (in heavy rain) and the rifle sight on the vent rib (the tom came in in a really unexpected direction and I was twisted up like a contortionist trying to aim, I couldn't get my head down on the stock and shot over his head).
A bead works fine for most ranges and ammo combinations, and it's what I prefer.

Fordguy

WKR
I wing shoot as much as possible, but for the past few years that's been limited to dove season.

I picked up a new 20ga M2 for turkey and grouse as my 12ga OU is pretty damn heavy. I mounted a venom with a speed bead mount. I was messing around today and I can remove or reinstall the mount in about five minutes. I think it’s going to be awesome. Hoping to get patterned next week when all this snow melts.
a8aa010e5cf2ea41dcd1a1701e4531cf.jpg

a10300a0671e99842024ae5f45446b20.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
I prefer 2 beads, however my 20ga turkey gun needed a adjustable sight to get on target so I have a Tru Glo rifle style sight. Been contemplating a red dot but just do not need it.

Donjuan

WKR
I like the tru glo gobble dot magnum for turkey hunting. You can wrap up a lot of $ with drilling, tapping, mounting and buying a red dot. Might not matter...I'm a tightwad

Im running Burris FF3's on both of my turkey guns. One in a 3 MOA and one in an 8 MOA. My Benelli Vinci patterned high and left quite a bit at 20 yards so needed something to correct that. Both do the trick and are affordable.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used my Beretta 12ga semi for ducks and turkey over the years. I’ve used tru-glo site during turkey. It takes five minutes to remove before duck season. No big deal to me.

I will be setting up a 20ga semi with Burris FF This year. Wanna go lighter and shorter. I’m done lugging the almost 8 lbs, 28“ autoloader around. PITA