TURKEY HUNTING OUT WEST

Geronibro

FNG
Hello all

I’m hoping to make my first trip out west next spring to go turkey hunting. I’m drawn to either Wyoming or Montana just from pics and videos I’ve seen. I’ve never been to either state.

I’m hoping to hike and camp in a beautiful place and if I see some turkeys or harvest one, great. If I don’t, great. I still spent time in a beautiful place.

My question for you all is this: What is spring weather like out west? How should I dress? Should I plan on winter type weather or warm weather? Or both?

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Be prepared for both, especially if you’re there first week. My brother likes to hunt turkeys around 10,000 feet. Last season, he went from going to sleep with it snowing and waking up to 30 degree temps, to the next day being in the 70s.

OP
Geronibro

Geronibro

FNG
Be prepared for both, especially if you’re there first week. My brother likes to hunt turkeys around 10,000 feet. Last season, he went from going to sleep with it snowing and waking up to 30 degree temps, to the next day being in the 70s.
That’s what I’m fearing LOL. I’m a minimalist by nature and was hoping to pack for one or the other. Sounds like hunting in the mountains is just a different animal. I’ll embrace it though. It’s all a new adventure for me.

My wife and I have hunted Wyoming the last 2 years. Both times we hunted from roughly May 8th to the 14th. We had all types of weather on both trips; sun, rain, snow, hail and sleet. Sometimes on the same day. Depending on when you go, I'd bring clothing for all types. You'll especially need good waterproof rain gear. The scenery is great but the weather is not always so good. Good luck!

dtrkyman

WKR
You name it you will get it weather wise. Break in a good pair of boots and be prepared to cover some country!

Birds are generally easy to call but hard to find!

OP
Geronibro

Geronibro

FNG
Hey guys thank you very much for the replies. With your descriptions of the weather and the incredible scenery that the American west offers, I can see why Western hunting has become an obsession. Just planning the gear you bring is its own hobby.