Turkey Hunting Spots in Colorado near unit 58/581

TheCougar

WKR
I’m not going to beat around the bush. I’m asking for your hunting spots or private land access, but for a good cause. I’m taking “Gold Star” kids on a Colorado turkey hunt this spring. The program is “Knights of Heroes”, http://knightsofheroes.org/ and the camp is in Unit 59, which is a draw unit (I would love to be proved wrong on this). I need to get the kids on birds in an OTC unit that we can get tags for them. I help out at the camp for a week every summer, and the program director asked me to help stand-up a hunting program for the older kids, starting with turkey this spring. I’m not a guide, I live in Texas, and I’m TDY a lot, so I’m swimming upstream to find good hunting spots. I’d like to take them somewhere and actually hear gobbles and get a tom or two. I’ll abide by any restrictions- I’ll keep it a secret, dates you approve, only take one bird, sign an NDA, whatever... I just want the kids to have fun and feel the rush of hearing gobblers. I know it’s a lot to ask, and normally people get a lot of crap for posts asking for information, but it’s for a good cause and great kids. PM me if you want to help us out.

sndmn11

WKR
Get in touch with the CPW Salida office. The birds in those units are scattered and inconsistent on public land, but if you covered ground quick in a few broad areas you should turn some up.