Turkey hunting tips

Growing up I hunted turkey with my dad every few years in the spring and he always called for me and we were successful 50/50. It’s been about 10 years since we last hunted spring turkey together and I’m really excited to get back into it this year and want to return the favor and call for him. What are some good YouTube/books/articles/podcasts/etc to learn when and how to call and certain set ups for certain types of birds?

fatlander

WKR
1.) It’s always easier to call him the direction he wants to go than where he doesn’t.

2.) More longbeards have died to soft clucks, purrs and scratching the leaves than excited cutting.

3.) Wait him out until you cannot wait any longer, then wait 5 more minutes.

I think knowing where birds want to be everyday is the key. If you know where your boy is going everyday, get there. That’s well over 50% of the battle. The rest is just getting him interested and having him see a deke, if you are in a situation that warrants using one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think scouting is way under utilized for turkeys. Just like most animals, they have habits. If you figure that out your WAY ahead of the game.

I have been watching a lot of the Pinhoti project with Dave Owens lately on youtube, that guy can kill turkeys! Its not super informational, but if your paying attention to their strategy on how they go about it i think you can pick up a ton of good info.

boom

WKR
face your jake decoy towards you..that was the other bird is facing away when he goes toe to toe with it.

boom or Zip..texas heart shot!

Growing up I hunted turkey with my dad every few years in the spring and he always called for me and we were successful 50/50. It’s been about 10 years since we last hunted spring turkey together and I’m really excited to get back into it this year and want to return the favor and call for him. What are some good YouTube/books/articles/podcasts/etc to learn when and how to call and certain set ups for certain types of birds?

Where in Texas are you located? I’m in Cypress (NW Houston). I have buddies all over the State and we’ve been calling for over ~40 years. Would be happy to help you out. Just let me know.

Btaylor

WKR
From 10 - 2 is a great time to be hunting. Gobblers will have bred and left the hens they were with at daylight and lots of times will fire up easily and come to the call with urgency. Mid day hunts esp, call from a spot you can set up from immediately, they can happen very fast.

Definitely watch the Pinhoti Project videos. I’ve picked up a lot of little tidbits from his videos. The Hunting Public turkey tour series was good to. Man I love turkey hunting.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
Be patient, every time you call to him is another time he stops to listen and assesses what is going on. More birds die from less calling and patience than over calling and getting him hot.

Scout and have a few setups in mind for each ambush location. Makes setting up in the dark a lot easier and quieter.

Only use a decoy when necessary, it seems like everyone thinks they need a decoy now a days. I have seen more birds short stop once in sight of decoys.

Joseph08

Lil-Rokslider
T
1.) It’s always easier to call him the direction he wants to go than where he doesn’t.

2.) More longbeards have died to soft clucks, purrs and scratching the leaves than excited cutting.

3.) Wait him out until you cannot wait any longer, then wait 5 more minutes.

I think knowing where birds want to be everyday is the key. If you know where your boy is going everyday, get there. That’s well over 50% of the battle. The rest is just getting him interested and having him see a deke, if you are in a situation that warrants using one.

Thanks for sharing. Pretty informative!

Roosting birds the night before a hunt can be very effective. I have killed many gobblers by sneaking right under them well before they wake up.

If the morning hunt doesn't go well, take a nap and wait til they lose their hens.

OP
D
Thanks for all the advice guys I appreciate it! Really been watching the pinhoti project reworked and the hunting public and learning a ton!

I grew up turkey hunting with my dad too. I love spring because I know we will hit the timber together.

Jimss

WKR
I have a feeling the biggest mistake most turkey hunters make is to call too much and to use the same call time after time. I have always paid attention to the reaction of turkeys and am willing to change things up accordingly. Although turkeys may react a certain way one day they may react differently a different day...but there usually are trends that will make your hunt successful. Things can also change dramatically from opening day to the end of the season. Toms are often "henned up" during the early season and alone or in small bachelor groups searching for hens late in the season.

fatlander

WKR
Bump to see if anyone has podcast recs. Looking for some new stuff on my now longer work commute, thanks.

Not a podcast but the Pinhoti Project is by and large the most accurate depiction of true turkey hunting. If you haven’t watched it, give it a look.