Turkey hunting with a 3 year old

Every spring one of my buddies rents an Air BnB and invites us all over to hunt. This year he insisted that I bring my now four year old, Wyatt. Wyatt has gone on a couple hunts with me before, last year during deer season camp watched as Wyatt showed grit and determination hiking out of the snake river breaks and refusing help.
My buddy Donnie (Uncle Donnie to Wyatt) is great about making hunting camps about the kids and this was no different. Wyatt had an absolute blast. He hunted, napped, ate, hunted and napped some more. He watched movies we probably shouldn't have let him watch, but it was either that or we watch Scooby Doo the whole time.
Two days in Wyatt, his Uncle Mike and myself had messed up around 5 toms. The third morning found us in a new spot, as we got out of the truck there was silence, but as we got closer to the private property line we could hear a Tom. Getting to the private property line we had a Tom coming right at us and we hadn't even called yet. We quickly set up and I threw Wyatt's camo over the top of him as my buddy hit the calls.
The whole time Wyatt was whispering a play by play to me. When the gobbler finally stepped into sight, Wyatt starts to get excited, "Dad, there he is, shoot him, shoot him!". Before we could blow it, I pulled the trigger. BANG, turkey down! I won't lie, I got pretty emotional on this one!

Attachments

• received_258315013204981.jpeg
    received_258315013204981.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 58
  • received_2338321493043176.jpeg
    received_2338321493043176.jpeg
    470.7 KB · Views: 59

RR2012

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome! Been there before and loved every minute of it. Congratulations

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
This story brought a tear to my eye. Love it!!

I brought my boy with me turkey hunting when he was 3. The first time I called using a diaphragm I still remember my son's head jerking up and looking at me with amazement. Then he giggled. We never got one but a few days later he was walking around the house making hen turkey sounds with his voice that sounded better than some of my calls using a diaphragm! It was hilarious!! I took that boy with me almost every time I hunted or fished while he was growing up.

Today he's 31 and lives in Montana working as a Deputy Sherriff while I'm still trying to wrap up a career in Michigan. Taking him elk hunting as a teenager did him in - he had to move out west. He's still my best hunting and fishing buddy. He flew into Michigan last week so he could spend some family time with his mom, sister, brother-in-law and I at a cabin on a lake. We also fished for some walleye on Saginaw Bay. Never had a lick of trouble out of that kid for some reason.....................

Keep up the good work my friend! It's the best investment you'll ever make!

yeahkkyle

FNG
Great story! My 5yr old has gone daytime predator hunting with me a few times and keeps bugging to go out at night. I really need to buy another thermal scanner to keep him interested for night time hunting. Looking forward to when both boys (3&5) start hunting with me.

As a father of a 3 year old, that’s impressive!

Nice job Dad… I think my boy will finally be ready to join me in the squirrel woods this fall. Can’t wait!

bdg848

WKR
LOVE IT! I remember following my dad around the woods while toting my very own bbgun. Fond memories. My first child is 1.5 right now and I can't wait to make these memories with him. If he will leave the headphones on, I might try hauling him around in the baby carrier for pheasant season this fall....

Every spring one of my buddies rents an Air BnB and invites us all over to hunt. This year he insisted that I bring my now four year old, Wyatt. Wyatt has gone on a couple hunts with me before, last year during deer season camp watched as Wyatt showed grit and determination hiking out of the snake river breaks and refusing help.
My buddy Donnie (Uncle Donnie to Wyatt) is great about making hunting camps about the kids and this was no different. Wyatt had an absolute blast. He hunted, napped, ate, hunted and napped some more. He watched movies we probably shouldn't have let him watch, but it was either that or we watch Scooby Doo the whole time.
Two days in Wyatt, his Uncle Mike and myself had messed up around 5 toms. The third morning found us in a new spot, as we got out of the truck there was silence, but as we got closer to the private property line we could hear a Tom. Getting to the private property line we had a Tom coming right at us and we hadn't even called yet. We quickly set up and I threw Wyatt's camo over the top of him as my buddy hit the calls.
The whole time Wyatt was whispering a play by play to me. When the gobbler finally stepped into sight, Wyatt starts to get excited, "Dad, there he is, shoot him, shoot him!". Before we could blow it, I pulled the trigger. BANG, turkey down! I won't lie, I got pretty emotional on this one!
That takes some patience!

Aggie007

FNG
Congrats and I have had to carry many toys (that don't make noise) to keep my kiddo occupied when his attention span ran out. Glad you got one!

I love it, world would be a better place if more Dad's spent that kind of time with there boys!!!