Turkey Hunting

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
Being home and not working has left me with a surplus of free time on my hands. Me and the four year old have been working with our bows! Her and I are having a lot of fun but the recurve can be very frustrating at the same time. Turkey season is a week away and I’ve decided to leave the shotgun in the safe and force myself to head for the timber with my recurve in hand. Shooting today at 12 yards kneeling with the target quartering to me. I’ve got a long ways to go but I feel as I’m moving in the right direction. 983E9CDE-B381-44A1-9792-DBF25F5C4D44.jpeg

Nice! You look to be on your way. I too am contemplating taking my recurve and leaving the 10 gauge at home. We can shoot two birds in the Spring maybe one with the gun and send the rest of the season with my bow. Good luck!

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck! This will be my first yr with the recurve as well. I've had good luck with a compound using a blind and decoys but I feel this year will be humble pie rather than turkey!

OP
Kgentry

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
I think we’re in the same boat. I’m more looking forward to just doing it rather then harvesting a turkey. If I do manage to punk my tag that will be a bonus!

GLB

WKR
No turkey hunting in Alaska but I like to pretend.

Attachments

• 2261A529-2806-4557-80AC-1752DD1C4D69.jpeg
    2261A529-2806-4557-80AC-1752DD1C4D69.jpeg
    527.3 KB · Views: 22
IMG_0914.jpeg
I am trying to get my first Turkey with a traditional bow. I have been out three times this year. First and third times were a bust with no birds heard or seen. The second time how ever was lots of action, with a sad out come. I set up on a ridge top that is old horse pasture, both side of the ridge are thick cover. I only called twice and had birds answer. With in minutes they were close, and to quick. They just keep coming too. Never seen anything like it. Seventeen jakes come in an were very close. At first the problem was they were on the opposite side of a four strand fence. I had to let them work past me, waiting till they got to a spot were the fence was down

The shot was going to be close, under fifteen yards. I have been working on a new face walk/anchor point for shooting 20 yards, it still needs to be worked on. I was not using a blind. I slowly turned a got at shot, I was aiming at the head. I was shooting the magnus bullhead. The shot looked good right to left, but sailed over his head.
There were so many turkeys, it was turkey chaos. Birds were clucking, birds were strutting and birds were gobbling. I was able to reload and shoot another bull head again. Again the shot was high. No it was really chaos. Most still didn't know what was going on, but they were starting to move off. I got on the call and most would gobble.
I pulled out another arrow, this one with a magnus stinger. I had birds lined out crossing broadside at twenty five yards. I took aim at one, but he was walking and didn't stop offering a shot. The next one in line, I stopped with a call. When he gobbled, I shot.
At the impact, I saw the bird flip over from the impact, but I had a feeling it was going to be a non-lethal shot. The arrow impacted way to forward.
I really hate loosing game. I looked for a long time. I never found any blood. some feathers that are in the picture .
I was able to call in three more birds later, I believe they were all from the original group. All three birds came to within range, but all three spooked with I stared to draw.

It was a exciting day and a very sad day

Good luck to everyone hunting this spring, I also hope that everyone is staying healthy and happy.

Last edited:
My first set up was so promising. Birds rooster there a couple days prior, strutting in a good spot to get close. Got there real early, could tell some birds were in the roost, game got set up on them. Ended up being a flock of a dozen turkey vultures. Ever had that happen before. Good luck everyone!

ScottinPA

WKR
Been trying to kill one the past few years with my recurve. Finally got a shot last year and blew it. That said I'd rather carry the bow and stump while chasing them than carry the shotgun. All run-n-"gun", no blind.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
I got one turkey with a compound but just got into trad recently. Super excited to go try my luck tomorrow. Going out tonight to try to find a roost

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Well no luck today, I really think I just need some decoys. Running around on public sure is fun though. I am an awful caller but still got some responses and saw some birds, they just wouldnt ever break the 60ish yard mark- think a decoy would fix that?

OP
Kgentry

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
Went out this afternoon it was kinda windy and about 3” of snow on the ground. I shot at a Tom but hit him low 🤦🏻‍♂️ Gave him about 30minutes and started following his tracks in the snow and went 3-400 yards and met back up with the group and watched him run and then fly off. Kicking myself for hitting him low but it was nice to see that he wasn’t wounded.

Well no luck today, I really think I just need some decoys. Running around on public sure is fun though. I am an awful caller but still got some responses and saw some birds, they just wouldnt ever break the 60ish yard mark- think a decoy would fix that?

Yes. And be really patient. Wait until you’re completely ready to give up, then wait longer. Put the decoy really close to you. Don’t be shy.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Had about 4 in of rain overnight so I skipped the hunt this morning, think Ill get out a few more days this week though- hopefully I can borrow a buddies decoy and get em closer

Ddog

WKR
Gotta wait until May 1st but I'm ready to go! Good luck to all you guys getting after 'em!