Turkey Number 7...

...got away, scathed. I feel horrible. First time not recovering one. Twenty-five yards and the hit was a bit back. I tracked him about 300 yards and lost blood on the leaves. I spotted one fly up to escape me or roost about 100 yards ahead of me. So I eased on over there and nothing. My neighbor that owns the woods is going to look in the morning as light was fading quickly tonight. He knows it like the back of his hand. NEVER shoot at walking birds. Let them stop. I get so damn excited that I get shaky and jerky. I guess we are all human. Definitely not a confidence booster. It was a 2-blade Rage not in the cage. Last year the bird went about 50 yards. Two jakes and a few hens followed up in tow. Seven yards for them but I did exercise some discipline and practiced drawing even with nerves of Jello. I was actually watching the bear video from the woman on the home page here and had to shut it off right before her shot as I watched them walk to me. Behind the house I have signal on my phone and I brought my headphones to listen to the end of my audiobook, The Great Upheaval. Don't waste your time on that one.

Anyone have any similar stories? Him and his parter were bright red and white on top, fat beards a bouncing. DANGIT!

As Jared said..."It happens". This was the first year that I haven't recovered a spring bird since I 2007 (the first season I turkey hunted with a bow) and I lost 2 in 2 hours!!! It sucks...I know...keep your head up. It will get better and when you recover your bird in a few days it will all be worth it. Trust me...Patience and Persistence!!