Turkey problems

Hey,
Shot at and missed a bird yesterday morning, and we heard at least 3 birds in the area (within 400 yards) and today we hiked for 3.5 hours without a gobble. It got about 10 degrees warmer today, could that be the cause of the birds not responding to any calls/not shock gobbling or did I blow them out of the property by shooting? We can hunt one other property, but it’s also getting 5 degrees cooler tomorrow. Was it the heat or me shooting? Thanks

In my experience hunting Easterns on private land in Missouri, shooting doesn't seem to phase them much. On multiple occasions I've shot at turkeys one day and seen more the next day (or later that same day). I've certainly experienced gobbling frenzies one day followed by near silence the next day, but I don't think those swings in gobbling activity are influenced much by shooting or hunting pressure. Examples from recent memory:
  • Last fall I flushed a flock in the morning, unsuccessfully attempted to shoot one on the wing, then saw 3 toms (that I think were part of that same flock) within a quarter mile of the flush location later that afternoon.
  • Spring 2019 I missed a tom one morning and killed one the next morning within a quarter mile.

bradb

WKR
Some days they gobble some they don't.
Your shot didn't do anything.

pk_

WKR
They could care less about a gunshot. Hi pressure or flocks being broken up seems to make them gobble. Sometimes nothing will get them to gobble and sometimes nothing will shut them up.

Next time say PECK PECK loud and hi pitched right before you shoot. Trust me.

Good luck and have fun.