Turkey Red dots.

I have a vortex venom and also a Burris ff3. Both 3 MOA. Can’t say anything bad about either but they sure make it easier to shoot especially if your shooting a super tight pattern

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I see this is an older thread but guys are def missing some things. For one this it’s just a shotgun, shots are close, type thing this is not well thought out.
Since the early 80s I’ve been a turkey nut. I’ve patterned all types of guns with all kinds of chokes and loads. I currently have 7 turkey only guns.
Back than I had some guns that threw turkey loads in unperfect poa. Williams sold bolt on sights that corrected the problem. We’re talking today now. Everything has come a long way. If I was to guess modern loads with modern chokes are so tight more guns won’t shoot poa than will. You’ll need to adjust that. Kentucky windage ain’t gonna do it with the very small patterns. Wonder if anyone tried longbeards. Unforgiving loads and nothing I’d recommend but highly popular.
Back to original question. Red dots are great. I like them better than most other type sights. I do have one gun that wears a scope but for red dots I personally use an eotech. Gotta be honest it’s a little big but an awesome sight. My buddy uses Holosun. An equally great sight and a bit cheaper but made in China. I won’t buy anything made there.
One advantage is if you’re out of position and can’t get a perfect cheek weld or something, not that that’s ever the case but if so and the dot is on the target even if off to side of window you’ll be giving a turkey a truck ride home

Last edited:

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
If I could say something and I hope no one thinks I’m against what they are saying but the Burris ff3 can be an iffy sight imo.
I had one less than 12 hours when I returned it. For a living lots of what I do involves getting nuts on things, threading things so they don’t strip, etc.
This sight tested me insanely when I tried to install battery. The cap had super fine threads that wouldn’t go on. I had to take a break to eat to calm down.
once I did get it the red dot wasn’t a dot but a comet of sorts with parts and pieces of red trail through the lens. Second shot the battery compartment screw fell out along with the battery. Went home, removed it and returned it. Lifetime warranty is not good if the sight is so problematic. Had friends w similar issues and no one I know owns one. Be advised

Rick653

FNG
If you're looking for a good red dot in general I would look at Holosun. I've had one on my duty rifle for 3 years and have yet to replace the battery. Also, it has a shake awake feature so it's ready to go when you need it

Meh I've had a ff3 on my turkey gun since they came out and never had a problem with it . Best sight I've had on my gun of all the other scopes and reflex types I've tried, I have no problem recommending it on my experience.

hobbes

WKR
I know a pile of guys with the Burris and Venom and don't know of any problems with either.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
One advantage is if you’re out of position and can’t get a perfect cheek weld or something, not that that’s ever the case but if so and the dot is on the target even if off to side of window you’ll be giving a turkey a truck ride home

Biggest advantage right there. Put the dot on the head and mash the trigger. Can even do it shooting wrong handed or cross-eyed.

I prefer the Aimpoint and use the 9000SC. It’s pretty much bulletproof and runs for like 50,000 hours on one battery.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Nope, nope and no. It’s a scattergun! I get that most guys are just gear nuts and want all the stuff. But scopes on a shotgun, shooting birdshot, is silliness IMO. I’ll give it to the optics manufacturers, one more thing to sell that people will buy.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Nope, nope and no. It’s a scattergun! I get that most guys are just gear nuts and want all the stuff. But scopes on a shotgun, shooting birdshot, is silliness IMO. I’ll give it to the optics manufacturers, one more thing to sell that people will buy.

Has nothing to do with being a gear nut for me. It’s about shooting a “scatter gun” with rifle like patterns that don’t always hit where the bead points.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Has nothing to do with being a gear nut for me. It’s about shooting a “scatter gun” with rifle like patterns that don’t always hit where the bead points.
I’d sure hope they hit where the bead points. It’s literally the center of the barrel on the end of the gun. Do you have a bent barrel and compensate that with the scope? I’m sorry we’re still firing shot strings that are far from rifle like. Now if your mounting off center or looking down your barrel on an angle that’s just bad practice in the first place. At that point I’d venture to say a scope is even worse because it’s compensating for poor mechanics. I’ve never missed a turkey or really anything standing down range using the bead of my gun. Now flying and moving targets are another thing. I’ve missed plenty of those over the years.

OP
Fish_monger

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up with a holosun 508T on a scalarworks mount. The 32 MOA reticle makes a 10” circle at 30 yards, perfect for my style turkey hunting. In my experience last season:

Pro’s:

• Accurate from any position so your less likely to pull your head. I had my first miss 2 years ago with a bead so admittedly, I was a little shaken up.

Con’s:

• Cost

• Regardless of battery life, I always wonder if today is the day..

• Moving from dark woods at dusk to staring into the sunrise in an ag field, the brightness requires constant adjustment. my dot does come with an auto adjust feature but it’s not great.

• A little bit of rain will distort the glass quickly.

743FFE6B-C884-4B13-9198-460CBD387882.jpeg
194A12EE-C2F5-4530-8ED9-D8DD8C0BBA15.jpeg

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’d sure hope they hit where the bead points. It’s literally the center of the barrel on the end of the gun. Do you have a bent barrel and compensate that with the scope? I’m sorry we’re still firing shot strings that are far from rifle like. Now if your mounting off center or looking down your barrel on an angle that’s just bad practice in the first place. At that point I’d venture to say a scope is even worse because it’s compensating for poor mechanics. I’ve never missed a turkey or really anything standing down range using the bead of my gun. Now flying and moving targets are another thing. I’ve missed plenty of those over the years.

Maybe you’re using a more open choke than I do? They easier for me to get on target, especially, when a bird slips up at the wrong spot and perfect form can’t be used or you have to switch shoulders. The pluses definitely out weight the negatives for me.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe you’re using a more open choke than I do? They easier for me to get on target, especially, when a bird slips up at the wrong spot and perfect form can’t be used or you have to switch shoulders. The pluses definitely out weight the negatives for me.
Fair enough. I can respect that. I will say admittedly I’m not shooting at a bird if they’re beyond 45-50 yards and even then that’s pushing it. That’s the waterfowler in me. I’ve got to feel like I fooled them all the way or they get to walk.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Fair enough. I can respect that. I will say admittedly I’m not shooting at a bird if they’re beyond 45-50 yards and even then that’s pushing it. That’s the waterfowler in me. I’ve got to feel like I fooled them all the way or they get to walk.

I use to duck hunt, too. Fooling them is nice, but ain’t always reality for me. My pattern at 20 yards is about the size of my fist or smaller.

Reactions: WRM

WRM

WKR
With all respect to the shooters who criticize this practice and (perhaps) assume their gun "shoots to the bead"...you're wrong. An extra full turkey choke, as noted above, often makes a fist plus size pattern out to around 20ish yards. I'm shooting Federal 5 6 7 with TSS. I used to like to take my shots at 20-30 but it's near impossible to get our public land birds to come in that close now--too much pressure and too many aholes taking potshots at them. Often, it's 40 or nothing. Course, then there's the bird that pops out at 15, and it's even more important to be "dot on" with him.

I had been using a Trijicon RMR self illuminated and loved it. No battery and never a worry. Scalar works mount on a Benelli makes it slick and so compact. Sadly, my astigmatism has gotten to the point where I now see 3 triangles instead of 1. If I want to shoot leftie, that eye still can accomodate it.

Just bought a Fastfire 4 to put on a SRH and it is much better with the astigmatism issue and in same size factor as the RMR. Just didn't have time to modify an adapter plate, slap it on the shottie and sight it in before season started.