turkey shotgun

Ive got a couple guns setup for turkeys but I mostly use what was my grandfathers H&R Topper Deluxe Turkey 12ga in the original bottomland camo. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Super light/compact, patterns incredible, and always a conversation piece.

I dont know how many years i used my benelli m1 24" . Its old enough to be stamped h&k. It has adjustable tru glo sights and it killed a bunch of turkeys.

After making the switch to tss I picked up a tristar viper g2 in 20ga. 24" bottomland camo pistol grip stock and forend. Bronze cerakote action and barrel. Put a small holosun red dot on it. Im not a hole counter but with a sumtoy .562" and #9 tss it shoots amazing patterns.

Ive killed a fair amount of turkeys with the 20/tss and as long as tss is available I can't ever see myself carrying a 12ga in the turkey woods again.

My next one will be a yildiz 410 single shot set up.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Wetlands Camo 20 gauge Benelli Nova, shooting 3"Federal Grand Slams. It was a easy 30yard hitter for me last week. The tom was on the run no less...best shot I made in years. This was through the stock Mod choke too. After I got done dressing him, I ran to town and bought six boxes of that ammo. Had to call in re-enforcements to purchase with the darn two box limit. No more lugging around my 3 1/2" SuperX2, or my other heavy 12's.-WW

wildcat33

WKR
During turkey season the Benelli stays at home;

Mossberg 935, 26" barrel with a Carlsons turkey choke. 3.5" #5 nitro turkey. The world is a nail with this combo. They are cheap, basic, tough, and reliable.*

IMG_1528.jpg

*Only reliable with 3.5 or 3" magnum loads. Wont run target loads.

Rich M

WKR
No reason to shoot a 12 ga 3 or 3.5 inch shell anymore. Many guys have dropped to 20 ga and use the TSS stuff, shooting further and hammering birds. Folks are using .410 and TSS too.

IMO - get a gun you like, use whatever you want. But test the TSS stuff and go from there.

Fatcamp

WKR
I use a New England Firearms Survivor single shot 20, picked it up at a pawn shop a few years ago for $70, didn't look like it had ever been fired. I had it threaded for a choke tube, drilled and tapped for scope base. Then it went in for a cerakote job. With tss 7 shot Its good out to 60 yards or a little more. With longbeard xr and a carlsons longbeard tube it will flatten a tom at 40 yards with room to spare. How often do you need more than one shot at a turkey anyway?

Not to change the topic, but I have the same rust problem with a newer 870. Very frustrating.

Spray paint, fellas.

Beretta 1301 Competition from my 3-gun days. It's a great turkey gun. I treat it like crap and it never complains. Even when I was running it in matches, I never cleaned it. I'm kinda still waiting for it to malfunction before I do. The 21" barrel is money for a turkey gun. I would hate having a long 26+ barrel. Red dot on top is awesome. I put a Mesa Tactical pistol grip stock on it this season, which I like a lot. It takes 3" shells, which is as big as I'd want to go. Patterns Winchester Long beards just fine. I really don't think I could improve upon it.

LC Smith 12 gauge. An old one with hammers. Choked full and fuller. 2 3/4 load of 6's. Old school. Don't seem to be giving up too much. Every turkey its shot at has died with one shot. Very fun to shoot as well!

DPUIwGi.jpg

RS3579

WKR
I use a 10 gauge Remington SP10 it’s a heavy gun (10lb). I only use it for Spring Turkey now. It can really reach out and be successful. We sometimes shoot clay pigeons at 100yds. We can break them pretty consistent.

Fatcamp

WKR
I bought a Winchester 37 12 ga last Fall to turn into a turkey gun. Was so nice I couldn't bring myself to use it. Sold it off. LOL.

KIMG3732.JPG

I should weigh this one. It's pretty light with a Hogue 12" lop stock and fore end. I have a rifle sight 21" barrel for it I will have threaded once the current nonsense does down. 6 weeks to get it back now.

OP
F
I am using a benelli super nova now. But alittle heavy and want to get away from the pump.

I am considering the Stoeger m3500 with pistol grip

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One of my kids has shot 2 with a youth model 870 in 20 gauge, and I’ll use it too if I ever draw. The other used a 1100 in 12 gauge. One shot each.

Mackdog

FNG
I use a sbe 2 with longboard xr. I leave a Burris fast fire mounted to a picatinny rail. 4 screws attaches rail to gun for turkey season. A couple shots to re zero, it’s always really close and ready to go. Then take it off after season.

Buck197

WKR
I've shot a rem. 1187 for yrs on turkey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

DAD

FNG
Remington 870 Supermag with a Primos Jellyhead Choke Shooting TSS. I have killed birds at 60 with it.

My wife shoots a Remington 870 Supermag with a Sumtoy Choke Shooting TSS. She has also killed birds at 60.

My father has the same setup I do with the same results. The guns are great!

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
In the past I've always just used whatever 12 ga I typically used for duck hunting which was either a Winchester SX3 with a 26" barrel or an 870. I bought my son a youth model 870 20 ga a few years ago and after seeing how well it performed and how nice it was to carry in the mountains I finally decided to buy a dedicated turkey gun this season. Here's what I went with:

Franchi Affinity 3 Compact 20 ga w/ a 24" barrel. I changed the stock to an adult stock with a 14" LOP recoil pad. (kept the youth stock to switch out for my kids). Had the gun and both stocks dipped in Mossy Oak Bottom Land. Gun weighs 5lbs 15oz with the sling.

I have to admit though, @Runningwater gets more points for syle.

ucuoheb.jpg

Hs1qaYA.jpg

1jbnxJ8.jpg

I used a Remington Sp-10 for years and went to a Mossberg 835 last year but with all this new ammo I’m thinking about a 20 gauge

OP
F
Yeah I’ve decided on a franchi affinity 20
Gauge compact. I see some
Guys are sticking with the compact as you can get real tight