turkey shotgun

whats everyone using for their turkey shotgun? i am using a benelli super nova know, while it does the job it is alittle loud and heavy also a pump. Thinking about switching to a semi auto. Don't want to spend 3 grand on a benelli super black eagle performace turkey.

I have a sbe2 i use for ducks but its max 4 camo and i would like a dedicated turkey gun. What are you guys using?

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
Browning Maxxus here, matched with hevi choke and magnum blend Hevi-13 3.5" shells.
Have knocked birds down at 50 yds effectively. Like to shoot around 35-40 yds.
Longest lucky shot was 72 yds, not proud of it but bird was caught...yes, shoot and then run and tackle.

hunt1up

WKR
I deliberated over the same decision last year. I used a Winchester SXP for a few years but I too wanted to go with an auto but also didn't want to spend a ton either.

I settled on a Franchi Affinity 3. I went with a standard black but they actually now have an Affinity turkey model as well as some other camo finishes. I think I paid $750 for mine. It's made by Benelli in the same factory, uses the same inertia driven action with a few internal differences. I've handled plenty of Benelli guns and it has the same feel. It's nice and balanced. I love it.

bradb

WKR
weatherby sa 08 youth 20 gauge. I had originally bought it and set it up for kids that do our youth hunt every year, but its about all I use anymore. Great little gun, have several buddies with the same set up now and about all they use.

870 20ga here. Shooting tss out of a Carlson's tss choke. Changed out the stock to a pistol/ar style which is really nice when sitting against a tree waiting for that Tom to come in to range. I really like the 20s, they're lighter, more compact and effective. They are also cheap and easy to get parts/aftermarket upgrades. Great run and gun Gun.

bradb

WKR
They don't make 3.5 for a 20 gauge!!! :) Hell know. That little 20 is a 50 yard gun.

That said for no good reason I do feed my 12 3.5". I have only shot 1 bird with the 12 in the last 7ish years since getting the 20. (well 2 with muzzle loading 12 gauge also)
Might take grandpas old side hammer double barrel 12 tonight for shits and grins

Last edited:

Biggie

FNG
Benelli M2 20 gauge with a 26" barrel. I use it for everything. Puts 120-130 in a 10" circle at 40yds with LB 6's. That being said I've had a light primer strike back to back seasons with them and I'll probably be switching to TSS as I can't get that pattern out of any other lead load. Either that or I'll purchase a heavier hammer spring but then I'll have heavier trigger pull to go along with that.

Laramie

WKR
I use a 20 also. Couple buddies of mine have gone to 28 gauge. We really like to call our birds in. None of us spent over $500 on our guns. If a guy learns to call and setup well, he won't need to shoot past 30 imo. Any shotgun will do the job just fine... Even a .410

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
Franchi Affinity 3 in 12 gauge. Patterns great w/2 3/4” lead 6 shot. Thinking of getting a 20 gauge though. Only reason is to lighten up a bit in the amount of weight I’m carrying in

weatherby sa 08 youth 20 gauge. I had originally bought it and set it up for kids that do our youth hunt every year, but its about all I use anymore. Great little gun, have several buddies with the same set up now and about all they use.
Same here. Picked it up for my son but I’ve used it too. Very nice gun.

Fordguy

WKR
I use a New England Firearms Survivor single shot 20, picked it up at a pawn shop a few years ago for $70, didn't look like it had ever been fired. I had it threaded for a choke tube, drilled and tapped for scope base. Then it went in for a cerakote job. With tss 7 shot Its good out to 60 yards or a little more. With longbeard xr and a carlsons longbeard tube it will flatten a tom at 40 yards with room to spare. How often do you need more than one shot at a turkey anyway?

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
I had been using a 12ga SBEII. This year I picked up a .410 and put a red dot on it. I'm not sure I will ever go back

hersh2209

Lil-Rokslider
Youth model Winchester 20ga 1300 I got for Xmas when I was 10yrs old..tss choke now..... 7 for 7 toms the last 3 springs

Agross

WKR
Youth model Winchester 20ga 1300 I got for Xmas when I was 10yrs old..tss choke now..... 7 for 7 toms the last 3 springs
That’s funny, I got the same gun for Christmas when I was 11. It’s still my rabbit gun. My turkey gun is a single shot 12 gauge New England firearms Pardner. Been a good gun.

I'm still trying to settle on an ideal turkey gun. The one thing I really like is a shorter barrel (24" or under). Helps with tight/awkward set ups.

I currently have a newer 870 12 gauge with a short barrel. I put a light trigger spring in. However, the newer Rems are junk and if I look at this gun it will rust.

I have a Win SX3 I use for wingshooting with a 28" barrel. I'd like to find a 24" inch barrel to make this my turkey gun and sell my 870 but haven't had luck finding a shorter barrel.