Turkey Sign - Cattle Dung

We have a lot of grazing land, and thus, cattle dung, in many areas I hunt. I know turkeys will flip cattle scat looking for bugs and such (at least they do out here in Comnu-fornia). But do any other animals do this? I usually assume it's turkey sign, but I've been wondering lately if it can be attributed to other critters. Thanks for the feedback.

GWHunter

FNG
We see the same thing here in PA in pastures. I know that I've also seen crows do it too, but I'll usually find some sort of other turkey sign if its turkeys doing it. Feathers, tracks, poops.

OP
H
We see the same thing here in PA in pastures. I know that I've also seen crows do it too, but I'll usually find some sort of other turkey sign if its turkeys doing it. Feathers, tracks, poops.
That's very helpful. There are a lot of crows in this area.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've seen Turkey and Crows picking through horse poop
getting out any leftover grain/sweet feed.

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
I used to supervise planting pine trees. One time we were planting a pasture that the cows had just come off of. Two days in a row there was a striped skunk in the pasture flipping cow pies. Danged thing wouldn't leave and the Hispanic planters wouldn't go near it.

ecw

FNG
I used to supervise planting pine trees. One time we were planting a pasture that the cows had just come off of. Two days in a row there was a striped skunk in the pasture flipping cow pies. Danged thing wouldn't leave and the Hispanic planters wouldn't go near it.

That’s pretty funny right there. And I can’t say that I blame them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
Where I hunt turkeys in Nebraska I actually look for freshly disturbed cow dung to help locate turkeys. It's pretty evident that turkeys are doing this. Lots of turkey tracks and turkey poop in those areas.

Broomd

WKR
Birds love cow dung, especially if they are eating hay that has oat, bean, barley, etc in it. Our pasture is shared with free-range chickens and they really keep it spread. We're careful to worm the cattle with mild product to not affect the eggs we consume.

Wild turkeys are in there every day as well.

Last edited:
OP
H
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. In this particular area, there are no bear, and very limited amounts of pigs, if any. There are plenty of crows though. So my estimate now would be that it's either them or turks. This is all helpful for me to hear, because there were times in the past that I only attributed this to turkeys. Now I have other things to consider before I decide there are turkeys in the area everytime I see the flipped shit. Thanks again.