Turkey Vest vs Day pack?

I have never used a turkey vest. But I can't figure out why it seems everyone runs a turkey vest and not just a small day pack? I usually turkey hunt with my small son so a day pack makes sense for me. But I am just curious why it seems everyone prefers the turkey vest? Maybe I just bring too much stuff into the field water, first aid kit etc.
I'm out west in California, so lots of the public land turkey hunting requires a good bit of walking and what not. Is it more an eastern hunting thing or is there something I am missing? Is it really that quicker running a vest then taking off a day pack and grabbing what you need out of some quick access pockets?
Just curious peoples thoughts on it who have used or use both.
That new sitka vest is calling to me, but I just dont know how much I would use it.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
I like the vest over a backpack. Calls in the front, hydration bladder on my back, foam pad that is easily deployed and stowed with the use of magnets. Kit and snacks go into a couple of pockets in the vest. I go from walking around into position in less than 5 seconds and vice versa.

I also hate the feeling of a backpack sliding off my shoulders/back when I'm walking around, so I'm more partial to vests.

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
I too prefer the vest to a backpack, primarily for the access to calls. I will run with multiple pot calls and sometimes a box, not to mention 2-3 strikers. Never enough pockets in my pants/jacket for everything. Having said that, I had at least one vest that had too many compartments, which actually became confusing.

Having the padded seat can be a plus although I often remove mine because I tend to hunt more of a run-and-gun style.

If I hunted a more stationary or blind style for birds, I probably would run the backpack.

OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
Gotcha, so I have belt Pockets on my stone glacier, for all my calls, box call goes in a box call pouch I can reach with the bag still on, then I got a glassing type pad on the bottom I can just pull right out.
Here is my set up which is nice cause I can also haul along a blind.

Holocene

WKR
I prefer the daypack or - gasp - fanny pack to the vest. Most vests are cheap and made in China, so that's not very appealing. Plus they are clunky and one-purpose pieces of gear. I often run in the turkey woods and the vests jiggle around and about too much for my tastes.

zacattack

WKR
I ditched my vest and am going to run a Fanny pack this year. Pretty excited about going the minimalist route

Just picked up a Knight & Hale run n gun 200. Very slim and light weight with just enough pockets. I think. I have not hunted with it yet or ever with a vest. But I wanted to try one to have every thing ready at hand. Has a bladder pocket and bottle pocket and room to carry calls and a few other items. Adjustment points everywhere. You can get a very good fit with them. And can still access most of the pockets on my shirt and pants. We’ll see. But trying it on and filling up the pockets, so far so good.

Day pack for me. NE WY requires a fair amount of hiking so I treat it like an elk hunt… but with much easier terrain.

dtrkyman

WKR
The new Sitka vest or the Knight and Hale RNG 200 are streamlined and have turkey specific pockets.

I have the RNG and it only weighs 1.5lbs empty, has a small pack built in and call pockets, pretty sweet.

Traditional vests are too bulky and heavy in my opinion! Many times during season I simply carry my gun and a single mouth call!

If you are planning on being out all day the RNG will work but a good day pack may be the better option?

Jimss

WKR
I use a full sized, large volume kifaru frame and pack. With a light load I cinch it down tight. If you've ever carried a big tom out far you know how cumbersome it is to haul bird plus shotgun and other gear! I've carried as many as 3 toms in my pack on several trips. Also, I generally haul decoys, raingear, layers, etc. Sometimes when hunting open country I may even include my spotting scope plus tripod! All of this in a small daypack can really put the strain on your shoulders. Sometimes I even attach my shotgun to my pack when hiking in and out long distances. I hardly notice the load on my back with my Kifaru.

Tod osier

WKR
My system has evolved to an external pack frame (kelty cache hauler) with a crazy creek seat and a messenger-type bag in it. It is fast to get in and out of and can carry a lot of weight when needed. Shotgun slips in it on the way out and I can easily carry 2 mature birds, all gear and shotgun. The flaps on the cache hauler keep everything locked in from the smallest to largest load. The only downside is the frame is loud if clanked around, but it has never cost me a bird.

OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
I use a full sized, large volume kifaru frame and pack. With a light load I cinch it down tight. If you've ever carried a big tom out far you know how cumbersome it is to haul bird plus shotgun and other gear! I've carried as many as 3 toms in my pack on several trips. Also, I generally haul decoys, raingear, layers, etc. Sometimes when hunting open country I may even include my spotting scope plus tripod! All of this in a small daypack can really put the strain on your shoulders. Sometimes I even attach my shotgun to my pack when hiking in and out long distances. I hardly notice the load on my back with my Kifaru.
I’m almost tempted to just my full size pack for a few decoys too!
My day pack is a sg xcurve with a 2800 approach so it can handle any weight.
But to carry a Tom out I can always throw in on the load shelf

Fatcamp

WKR
All we are carrying this year is a shotgun and a small blind bag with water and food. We will each carry a small piece of plastic in our pockets if we need to sit where it is damp.

Thinking less is more in our area.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
I started using an alps little bear last year. It’s like a backwards Fanny pack with shoulder straps and extra pockets on the belt. I attached a hydration pack with a molle case to the outside of the shoulder straps so I could attach something else if needed. Ended up working out so good that I used it for most of my whitetail hunts that I used my saddle for.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 59

bohica17

FNG
I run a vest but am looking for a minimal one now. Just want a butt pad, camelbak, and a pocket for box fall and shells. I have a binocular chest case that holds two strikers and a woodhaven call. Backpack just means more room and that leads to more stuff you don’t need.

pirogue

WKR
I just use a Kifaru daypack. Snap a light seat cushion on it, like I do for predator hunting. I have a grab-it for the pack, if needed.

OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
Soooo after trying on the sitka vest, im going to get one lol.
super minimal and will be great for running and gunning when I dont have my kids.

My kids and I use HPG Tarhumara and a HPG kit bag. We retrofitted seats on with paracord. Much better than the bulky vests and you can just grab the kit bag for quick trips.

Very similar to the Sitka set up that I looked.