Turn fridge into hanger for meat

Thinking about getting a garage fridge than can be used to hand meat in assuming I am successful.

I have seen where some cut the divider between the fridge and freezer to make it work. That was with the freezer on top. Thought maybe a side by side would solve that problem so I can use the freezer for overflow frozen at the same time.

Anyone do something similar?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I can put a full deer in my outside fridge, but it doesn't hang. I could probably do most of a boned out elk but ive never tried. I use clean elk bags and lay them on the shelf. Everyday I rotate the meat also layer the meat with big heavy duty bags. Its just a standard side by side fridge.

I do this as well with deer. You want either a bowl of water, or put the meat in a plastic bag of some kind or you will lose some meat to drying. Unless you are hoping to dry age! Even then you probably want a bowl of water in there

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy of mine has a frig in his garage that uses. He hangs quarters from the top and places the loins in the rack at the bottom. Works fantastic- really ages the meat well.

CX5Ranch

WKR
You can also buy a part and I have no idea what called....but it makes a window ac unit or a refrigerator stay constant at 38 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4ester

WKR
We found someone local selling a big stainless commercial fridge. We have had as many as 4 elk, and a couple antelope in it at one time (quartered). Would probably hold more but the shelving needs to be fixed. Used a ratchet strap to keep the doors closed.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
How are you going to keep the doors sealed on a side x side if you remove the freezer divider?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Is there a particular moisture level that one should be concerned about? I’ve done this in the past with a “barn fridge” but only had it in there a few days. Pretty much just as quarters, loins, then a tray of trimmings.

While we’re on the topic, those grey food tubs are handy dandy.

CX5Ranch

WKR
You could take a freezer/fridge combo, with freezer on top and drill holes in the divider until you reach the temp you want.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
silverbullet555
A buddy of mine has a frig in his garage that uses. He hangs quarters from the top and places the loins in the rack at the bottom. Works fantastic- really ages the meat well.
Side by side or top/bottom?

OP
silverbullet555
For those that already use a garage fridge, side by side or top/bottom?

OP
silverbullet555
Freezer on bottom with French doors above seem really popular for sale and they tend to be newer. Can't drill holes in the freezer to let cold air down. Wondering how one of those might work.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but, when it's too warm in the garage to hang for a week, I usually quarter it up and let it rest in the fridge for a week. No modification needed.

elkyinzer

WKR
I just take all the shelving out, cut some simple wood racks, and hang the quarters from them. Can fit two good sized whitetails comfortably. Elk I don't think my system would work.

Not sure I understand your idea about cutting the fridge/freezer divider.

OP
silverbullet555
I just take all the shelving out, cut some simple wood racks, and hang the quarters from them. Can fit two good sized whitetails comfortably. Elk I don't think my system would work.

Not sure I understand your idea about cutting the fridge/freezer divider.
View attachment 117473
If you take an old school fridge with freezer on top, you can cut the floor out of the freezer and open the whole cavity up. Most of those fridges get their cooling from the freezer anyway. Then you have a longer box to be able to hang a larger piece of meat in. It's potentially cheaper than buying a full height fridge.

You could also drill a hole and run wire up through the hole and use a dowel across the freezer floor to create a way to hang meat in the fridge while still keeping the freezer in tact.

It seems many just lay the meat on racks and turn it, etc. Seems like a good plan and maintains full use of fridge and freezer.