Turn in your hunting buddy?

cnelk

WKR
Would you turn in your hunting buddy for a game/forest violation?

Let’s say you and your buddy are on a 8 day elk hunt.
You each went your own way for the day and that evening you found out your buddy broke the law…. Doesn’t matter how big or small, definitely broke the law.

You making the call to law enforcement?

Now, before the ‘Do-Gooders’ say you know your buddy really well and either one wouldn’t break the law, we all know ‘shit happens’.

Whatcha gonna do?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've been in this situation.

A buddy mixed up two deer in his scope and shot a doe instead of the buck. It was during the rut and they were moving a lot but I have no idea how he didn't confirm before shooting.

My recommendation was to call the game warden and explain his mistake.

I told him it was his call to make. We don't hunt together anymore.

Edit to add: I may have reacted differently if the person was intentionally poaching.

I know id find it very hard to “nark” on a buddy no matter what it was. If it was something small id probably just mention that it was t leagal. If it became a problem id cut ties. If ot was major like flat out poaching id leave them behind. But i think id have a tough time to call them in.
Edit if it was like above where it was a mistake id probably push for the self reporting route and try to help pck out to save the meat and make some good of a bad situation

Laramie

WKR
Would you turn in your hunting buddy for a game/forest violation?

Let’s say you and your buddy are on a 8 day elk hunt.
You each went your own way for the day and that evening you found out your buddy broke the law…. Doesn’t matter how big or small, definitely broke the law.

You making the call to law enforcement?

Now, before the ‘Do-Gooders’ say you know your buddy really well and either one wouldn’t break the law, we all know ‘shit happens’.

Whatcha gonna do?
You left an awful lot of room with this one. My honest statement is it depends. Buddy is a pretty loose term and all violations aren't created equally. Was it was something egregious like actual poaching or did he camp too many days in one spot? I believe everyone's moral compass is a bit different. I also believe you will get a lot of answers on here that maybe won't represent what would happen in real life.

RMM

WKR
You left an awful lot of room with this one. My honest statement is it depends. Buddy is a pretty loose term and all violations aren't created equally. Was it was something egregious like actual poaching or did he camp too many days in one spot? I believe everyone's moral compass is a bit different. I also believe you will get a lot of answers on here that maybe won't represent what would happen in real life.
Agree with this. I would be willing to bet most people are not turning in their friend. Especially if its someone you are good enough friends with to do an 8 day hunt with.

WKR

WKR
I would have a talk with him, and depending on the severity of the offense I might not be his hunting buddy any longer. Really depends on the situation though. Poaching and not filling your tag out properly are both breaking the law but one is worse than the other.

I believe you're culpable for a misdemeanor if you know of, or witnessed, the incident and did not report it.

Will anyone ever find out or give a sh*t? Probably not.

I've been known to be too black and white, but I report anyone and everyone I see violating the law in areas I hunt. I explicitly tell friends and family, and we have a mutual understanding, that if I or they break the law, then reports are getting filed.

BTW even parking in front of gated roads is illegal in some states (Colorado included if I'm not mistaken.)

Laws exist for a reason IMO.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I believe you're culpable for a misdemeanor if you know of, or witnessed, the incident and did not report it.

Will anyone ever find out or give a sh*t? Probably not.

I've been known to be too black and white, but I report anyone and everyone I see violating the law in areas I hunt. I explicitly tell friends and family, and we have a mutual understanding, that if I or they break the law, then reports are getting filed.

BTW even parking in front of gated roads is illegal in some states (Colorado included if I'm not mistaken.)

Laws exist for a reason IMO.
Would you call the warden and let him know if you leaned your rifle on your truck tire before unloading? Would you call the local sheriff to let him know you broke the speed limit while hunting?

Rick M.

WKR
The problem with letting things slide for a buddy, is that when everyone does it, there's a serious lack of accountability. For small accidental stuff, the warden will usually be understanding and let things go just for the fact that it was reported with honesty and integrity. For egregious offenses, friend or not, I'm reporting it if they refuse to do so themselves. Friends don't let friends conduct themselves like scumbags.

One's personal values and integrity shouldn't have a sliding scale based on whether it was a friend or a stranger that commited a witnessed crime. It's a slippery slope.

Would you call the warden and let him know if you leaned your rifle on your truck tire before unloading? Would you call the local sheriff to let him know you broke the speed limit while hunting?
I never said I would report myself! ;)

There is always grey space of course -- but I have no remorse for OHV violators in WA. The amount of them is obscene, it's too bad they often times have no license plate and simply just drive over the skyline.

huntnful

WKR
Definitely not turning them in for that. That isn't a crazy violation IMO, and I don't hunt with anyone that makes ruthless violations. Also, just cause it's a law doesn't mean it's right. Shooting non-lead ammo in CA for example. I'm not turning in anyone that kills an animal with lead ammo either. But if they get caught, I won't feel bad for them either. Just not going to turn anyone in over small stuff.