Turn in your hunting buddy?

bsnedeker

WKR
Here is another true scenario that was revealed to me by a buddy.

My buddy and another guy fly to Wyoming for an antelope hunt. They have an outfitter and a guide. My buddy shoots an antelope on the 2nd or 3rd day. On the following day, they encounter a pair of antelope up on a ridge. The guide suggests climbing the back of the ridge to get closer while remaining undetected. Everything goes as planned and the guy gets the shot at the buck antelope. The animal drops but almost immediately they see that the bullet apparently exited the antelope and hit the doe behind it. They only have a single buck tag. Not knowing what to do, the guide actually tells them to toss the legal buck into the pickup and leaves the second animal laying there dead.

Who's at fault? Is the shooter guilty of a game law violation for taking a second animal without a tag? Should my buddy have turned his friend in? Is the guide or outfitter guilty of a violation?

Sometimes things aren't cut & dry.
The shooter is 100% at fault. Just because the outfitter told him to hide from the law doesn't mean he couldn't have done the right thing. Had he called the warden and explained the situation there is an extremely good chance he would have been let off with a warning, the animal would have been collected, and the meat donated.

Accidents happen, people make mistakes, your character is defined by how you deal with it when they happen.

Here is another true scenario that was revealed to me by a buddy.

My buddy and another guy fly to Wyoming for an antelope hunt. They have an outfitter and a guide. My buddy shoots an antelope on the 2nd or 3rd day. On the following day, they encounter a pair of antelope up on a ridge. The guide suggests climbing the back of the ridge to get closer while remaining undetected. Everything goes as planned and the guy gets the shot at the buck antelope. The animal drops but almost immediately they see that the bullet apparently exited the antelope and hit the doe behind it. They only have a single buck tag. Not knowing what to do, the guide actually tells them to toss the legal buck into the pickup and leaves the second animal laying there dead.

Who's at fault? Is the shooter guilty of a game law violation for taking a second animal without a tag? Should my buddy have turned his friend in? Is the guide or outfitter guilty of a violation?

Sometimes things aren't cut & dry.

Curt Wells has an interesting story that he wrote in Bowhunter Magazine about a bull moose he shot. I can't say that I was ever a huge fan of him, certainly didn't dislike him, but after the article he wrote on it I thought he certainly had a lot of character.

I don't remember all the details, but he shot a moose that was 2" short of minimum. He self reported and everything was still confiscated and I believe he was still fined. His guide told him it was legal, but he didn't roll over and blame it on the guide, he said when you let that arrow go it is your decision and yours alone. He took all responsibility, when you could lay all blame on the guide, but ultimately it is the shooter that makes the decision. Made me think if I used a guide and criteria needed to be met, I'd be making damn sure I trusted my guide.

Here's the article:

RMM

WKR
The shooter is 100% at fault. Just because the outfitter told him to hide from the law doesn't mean he couldn't have done the right thing. Had he called the warden and explained the situation there is an extremely good chance he would have been let off with a warning, the animal would have been collected, and the meat donated.

Accidents happen, people make mistakes, your character is defined by how you deal with it when they happen.
This.

If you leave an animal that was killed or wounded at your hands in the woods to go to waste, you're a POS and don't deserve to hunt.

True, but the "on topic" question is; should my buddy have turned his friend in to the WY authorities?

bsnedeker

WKR
True, but the "on topic" question is; should my buddy have turned his friend in to the WY authorities?
True, but in your post you asked the question who is at fault....I was answering that question. It's a pretty simple one that I'm kind of surprised even needs to be asked to be honest.

No buddy of mine would illegally drive his ATV around a closed gate. I will turn in every single person I see breaking this and similar laws.

maddmartagan

Lil-Rokslider
Hell no f he was actually a real friend. I am very against poaching or any other hunting/fishing violation but I see the “penalties” given to real poachers and I’m not going to lose a friend so that he can get a slap on the wrist from Fish and Game and then go commit violations with someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Curt Wells has an interesting story that he wrote in Bowhunter Magazine about a bull moose he shot. I can't say that I was ever a huge fan of him, certainly didn't dislike him, but after the article he wrote on it I thought he certainly had a lot of character.

I don't remember all the details, but he shot a moose that was 2" short of minimum. He self reported and everything was still confiscated and I believe he was still fined. His guide told him it was legal, but he didn't roll over and blame it on the guide, he said when you let that arrow go it is your decision and yours alone. He took all responsibility, when you could lay all blame on the guide, but ultimately it is the shooter that makes the decision. Made me think if I used a guide and criteria needed to be met, I'd be making damn sure I trusted my guide.

Here's the article:
Neither here nor there, but I have been in camp w/ Curt and a friend guided him on a blacktail hunt, and we are both of the opinion he is a pretty good guy.

MattB

WKR
Hell no f he was actually a real friend. I am very against poaching or any other hunting/fishing violation but I see the “penalties” given to real poachers and I’m not going to lose a friend so that he can get a slap on the wrist from Fish and Game and then go commit violations with someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Food for thought, but in this instance the difference between self-reporting and hiding the incident/getting caught would probably be the difference between a slap on the wrist and receiving the penalty given to a real poacher (whether or not obscuring it would put you into the category of "real poacher" is another discussion).

True, but in your post you asked the question who is at fault....I was answering that question. It's a pretty simple one that I'm kind of surprised even needs to be asked to be honest.
I'm in agreement with you as to who is at fault. My post was a bit rhetorical. It sounded like neither the shooter nor the guide saw the potential of a pass-through kill but I wasn't there and the shooter always carries the responsibility of the shot.