Turn in your hunting buddy?

MJB

WKR
One pigarama hunt on Tejon, I went with a buddy and he brought his friend after we killed our pigs they went quail hunting it was in May.
I was pissed off but with loaded guns around I had to keep my cool.
I got my point across and the friend of the friend was more than sketchy, boy was he pissed off that I called out his character.
Neither renewed their spring membership again so I guess bragging about poaching deer, bears and killing any animal out of season makes you nervous when confronted.

To prove they were poaching, it would be impossible.

MJB

WKR
What about the nonlead law?
Do I report my buddy's GF?
She comes off the mountain at 9pm on Sunday can't get her deer signed off on the way home she call's FG leaves a VM. Next morning she goes to the FG office and they want to write a ticket because it didn't get signed off right after she got back to the truck.
What if a box of shells were sold between friends in the field with no FFL transfer?

Some laws are way over the line!

Totally would if was driving a Polaris Sportsman 570.
If he was on a Honda Foreman 500…I’d let it slide.

Mikido

WKR
Would you turn in your hunting buddy for a game/forest violation?

Let’s say you and your buddy are on a 8 day elk hunt.
You each went your own way for the day and that evening you found out your buddy broke the law…. Doesn’t matter how big or small, definitely broke the law.

You making the call to law enforcement?

Now, before the ‘Do-Gooders’ say you know your buddy really well and either one wouldn’t break the law, we all know ‘shit happens’.

Whatcha gonna do?
Never

Would you turn in your hunting buddy for a game/forest violation?

Let’s say you and your buddy are on a 8 day elk hunt.
You each went your own way for the day and that evening you found out your buddy broke the law…. Doesn’t matter how big or small, definitely broke the law.

You making the call to law enforcement?

Now, before the ‘Do-Gooders’ say you know your buddy really well and either one wouldn’t break the law, we all know ‘shit happens’.

Whatcha gonna do?
I would confront my buddy first. See if I could talk him into calling the warden and explaining the mixup. If it was a violation blatantly wrong and you know he knew it, mhm. That’s tough. Definitely wouldn’t be hunting with them anymore, that is for sure!

My buddy left a surface sh1t on the trail last 4th rifle. He said the ground was frozen, could not bury the turd.
You bet I reported that criminal

Last edited:

Val

FNG
I would have a talk with him, and depending on the severity of the offense I might not be his hunting buddy any longer. Really depends on the situation though. Poaching and not filling your tag out properly are both breaking the law but one is worse than the other.
Agreed. Turn the situation around. Do you want to be turned in for a J-walking type offense?

Reactions: WKR

Rich M

WKR
OK, I gotta ask: I've seen several mentions of riding around a gate with his ATV. Is this something that's just frowned upon, actually illegal, a way of trespassing...?

I have very little experience hunting outside of Michigan, so it's not something that has ever come to mind. I use an ATV to do as much of the dragging as possible. I won't drive onto a neighbors land without specific permission, and that's only come up twice in the 22 years I've owned my land. I drag them by hand to the property line, and then it's game on!! (On my own land, I'll drive thru damn near anything to get to a dead deer.)
Theres a post about turning in everyone eho goes around gates. No excuses, turn em in or let the air outta they tires.

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
She comes off the mountain at 9pm on Sunday can't get her deer signed off on the way home she call's FG leaves a VM. Next morning she goes to the FG office and they want to write a ticket because it didn't get signed off right after she got back to the truck.
What if a box of shells were sold between friends in the field with no FFL transfer?

Where do you have to get an ffl transfer for a box of shells? I might have to turn in a lot of people 😂

I am not reporting him. If it was a major violation like poaching a big game animal, I would be done with him permanently.

The self reporting thing is such a gamble, even with honest mistakes. Maybe you get a cool warden who values and rewards honesty, more than likely you get a dbag who throws the book at you. Its not worth the risk if it was an honest mistake.

wytx

WKR
We would have a serious talk first and their attitude would determine my further actions.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Rather laughable question, even the law recognizes that things are not black and white, hence officer discretion and why judges are given room to sentence the same offense differently.

Better question, you realize you stepped 5 feet across a boundary into a no hunting area while hunting, do you turn yourself in?

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
Better question, you realize you stepped 5 feet across a boundary into a no hunting area while hunting, do you turn yourself in?
I would have a very serious talk with myself-my attitude would determine my next move. If I turned myself in I would never hunt with me again at a minimum. I might even have to kick my ass for it. snitches get stitches!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

What the bell are you talking about??? An ffl to sell a box of ammo??? That’s not even a real thing.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My buddy left a surface sh1t on the trail last 4th rifle. He said the grown was frozen, could not bury the turd.
You bet I reported that criminal

I would have taken an even bigger dump right on top of it so when the cops got there it looked like one guy took a shit as big as 2 guys taking a shit. He’d be super embarrassed.

Also, lol @ burning your poop