Sold Turnbull Built 1886 Short Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgraham1

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ISPF

n looking through my rifles, I found one that is probably the best example of an 1886 short rifle. Back in 2012 I picked up a Browning 1886 SRC in 45-70 for over $1000. I added a bolt peep sight by Frontier Americana of Fargo, back when they did this, for $400. I did not really care for the carbine so in 2014 I sent it to Turnbull Restorations for a complete overhaul. They kept the SRC action and bolt peep and replaced all other parts with Browning 1886 45-70 rifle parts. The barrel was cut and crowned at 22 inches, as was the magazine tube. All parts were polished and hand fitted and then the parts were case colored or blued as appropriate. The stocks were replaced with rifle stocks with shotgun style butt and correct metal checkered buttplate. HookEye sling studs were added and the stocks checkered in the standard “H” pattern. It is by far the most beautiful rifle I have ever seen. My problem, I only shot it 20 times when I got it back and then put it away. I just never use it and it is time to give someone the chance to own and use this rifle. It has small handling marks, that you need to look hard to see, from moving it around in the safe. I have the original Turnbull paperwork, but not the original purchase of the rifle or the Frontier Americana paperwork. Cost for the Turnbull works back in 2014 was almost $3700. Add in the shipping costs by me and I have over $5100 into the rifle. Current cost for the work alone by Turnbull is now over $5000 (I know because I just had a 1894 done by them last year). Rifle is in excellent condition and I am selling it way below my cost and current costs to produce.

Must ship to an FFL and they must accept from a private person. Shipped is $4150 and local pickup in Springfield, Virginia is $4100. I accept cash, MO and personal checks. No trades or PayPal. Contact me with any questions.

Jerry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.