Turning old taxidermy into a European mount?

Titan_Bow

WKR
My first deer has a lot of sentimental value to me, I shot this buck when I was 12 years old and the taxidermy was done by a local dude who just did it on the side. It’s not aged all that well and it’s just lived in my basement with all my hunting and outdoor gear. In general, I’m just not a fan of taxidermy. This is actually the only animal I’ve ever had done. Small bucks i usually just saw the skull plate off and those randomly decorate my spaces. My larger or sentimental animals I’ll do euro mounts. I just like the aesthetic of a clean bleached skull.
What’s the best way to “convert” an old deer head into a euro mount? Could you carefully saw off the antlers and “transplant” them onto a donor skull? Is this something that pro taxidermists are typically well versed in doing?

0faacaa65a5084007ff9073b22af24d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6d94a89a8b6e8fc025e4edcd6ba551e8.jpg

stonewall

WKR
I’ve never done it. But I’m guessing your best bet is to get a “donor skull”. Saw of antlers on both. Measure yours well first. Spread. Tip to tip. Tip to nose. Then use square tubing pegs. Drill holes in antlers and donor skull for pegs. Use bondo and resin or maybe epoxie. Set antlers per measurements. Then can use some epoxie sculpt (can order from a taxi supply co) to smooth the seams. Then touch up with white paint from airbrush. Or brush on. Actually use “fixit sculpt” to get white color to start with.

There is a decent chance that the antlers are mounted to a plastic form That is under the pelt. Usually a post or rod to hold the antlers. You might be able to cut away the form material and reuse the mounting hardware on your donor skull.

I'm doing something similar with some of my grandad's mulies. On one I pulled it out and they were attached to the skull plate, screwed up to the skull cap from skull hooker easy enough.

The other set was glued in to the form so I plan to use the MM kit and a skull hooker when I get around to it.

My vote for your case is the MM kit.

SWOHTR

WKR
not to threadjack - are there any moose skulls similar to mountain mikes? I haven’t found anything yet…

Macintosh

WKR
I've never seen a artificial skull that looked real to me. I know a taxidermist can attach your antlers to another skull, but it strikes me as off. I guess if its not the actual skull I'd want it to be cool, but still obvious it isnt the actual skull. Maybe just an antler mount, or I have seen some super-cool highly finished wooden skulls with real antlers mounted--check out skulpt woodworking, he doesnt have a website but is on facebook and instagram.

trevore

Lil-Rokslider
You can swap It yourself with an artificial skull as mentioned above. Personally don't like the artificial skulls but that's me. Other option would be to contact a local taxidermist or even a meat processor and get a donor skull. Have it cleaned and then transplant the antlers to the new skull. Not hard. For the record that mount isn't too bad. Could be easily fixed if you were inclined.