Turo Car Rentals and Insurance?

Fowl Play

WKR
Any of you fellas gone down the rabbit hole of using Turo for hunting trips? Specifically the insurance side of things for off road use.

I normally do not purchase insurance through the rental agency as my current insurance policy will cover rental vehicles up to my policy limits. BUT… I just got off the phone with State Farm for a direct answer and they will not cover vehicles from person to person lending companies like Turo.

Then reading through the policies Turo will provide and it specifically lists No off road driving. They will void any coverage if not on pavement… even maintained forest service roads, etc

So… might just have to nix the Turo thing unless anyone has gone through this with their insurance provider and gotten a different answer?

OP
Fowl Play

Fowl Play

WKR
No replies yet, maybe this is more an FYI then. Be very careful booking a Turo for a hunting trip if you plan to leave pavement (which I hope is every time). Sucks, as a truck with a roll up bedcover is my ideal hunting rental vehicle. But if something were to happen off pavement, you’d likely have to front the entire bill out of pocket.

woods89

WKR
Good info. I've used Turo on 1 trip, will neither confirm nor deny that a minimal amount of off pavement driving happened. I plan to use them again this fall.

I have primary coverage through my Chase Sapphire Preferred card, I need to call them and see if that applies.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
My policy says they cover Turo, but I did not ask about the off pavement. I rented one for a ski trip and I was disappointed with the tires worn to the indicator and lack of maintenance on the vehicle. I do not think Turo is a solid option for me going forward.

Poser

WKR
With car rental companies, one thing to keep in mind is that even though your vehicle insurance will cover damages, what your insurance will not cover is the loss of revenue on the vehicle while it is being repaired. I have been told that no auto insurance covers this.

pjww805

FNG
saw a cool write up of a guy renting a UHAUL Van for $19.99 per day to bow hunt with! saves you a few bucks and room for inside storage and even a place to lay a cot if you're not packing in. Just a thought!

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
saw a cool write up of a guy renting a UHAUL Van for $19.99 per day to bow hunt with! saves you a few bucks and room for inside storage and even a place to lay a cot if you're not packing in. Just a thought!
Miles are not included usually

TaperPin

WKR
Back in my fire fighting days, if we needed to set up a small base camp of sorts at some trailhead or forest service campground, a large rider or uhaul truck was quick, easy and spacious. Unfortunately the metal box is hot in the sun and freezing in the cold. It was most comfortable to sleep in the cab :)

There are a lot of small rv rentals, but wow do they get a lot for something on a one ton chassis.

joslinbd

FNG
I have used Turo for trip between Denver and Keystone but never off-road. I would side with my personal insurance company. You could, however, mention to the owner of your anticipated driving and maybe have something in writing that specifically states they knew the risk associated with how you planned to utilize their vehicle.

Ebby

WKR
I've used Turo a ton. It takes some getting used to so that you can figure out to get exactly what you want/need. I've used it for hunting trips as well and just reach out to the renter before hand to ask about going off road. Some are ok and some are not. Find one that is. I've never bought the insurance personally but it's worth looking into and checking with your credit card company.

Lee