Turret Question

DB Cooper

Lil-Rokslider
A great book that really lines out the whole process picking out a rifle/bullet, mounting scopes properly, and developing your own dope cards is LONG RANGE PRECISION RIFLE by Anthony Cirincione .

Whether you're a beginner or been doing this for a while, it is a great resource for all shooters

DB Cooper

Lil-Rokslider
I would use an MOA or MIL turret (make sure it matches your reticle) and have a main distance drop chart on your weapon or on your person. I would have a 2nd chart with elevation, temperature, wind, and barometric pressure charts. Those factors all come in to play outside of 400 yds. Most of the time at that distance, you have time to adjust for those environmental factors.

I make new charts for every trip. I try to make the charts "zeroed" at the average elevation and temperature I can expect. It requires no cell phone service and it works assuming you can accurately measure the environmental factors.

JMDavies

WKR
I use one custom turret for everything from 900' to 11,000' and haven't had a issue. The turret is set for 5,000'. While I think having 2 turrets can be useful, it dosen't appear to make much of a difference when you split the difference at 5,000'

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
Run your calculator with different density altitudes. You’ll be able to see the influence. The bigger difference is the temperature dependent muzzle velocity. Some powders are less sensitive than others, but none are completely insensitive to temperature. Density altitude might shift you 1-2 tenths at 500, but an MV shift can move you twice as far, easily.

ETA: I’m also not a fan of custom turrets. I strongly prefer to keep standard graduated turrets and reference my calculator/data card.

16Bore

WKR
There’s enough variables and I wouldn’t bother with a custom turret to add more. No sense in spending bucks on a scope only for a half ass attempt to put the bullet where it belongs.