Turret Question

jmike

FNG
So I am not a "Long Range" guy, just an average hunter, I want to get a turret for for my scope . I am wondering how much the "elevation" number you give affects the accuracy...? some time I will hunt at 1500' other times I may be at 8,000. I dont plan on shooting more than 500 yards. Do I need more than one turret or can I just split the difference...?

Mike

This is only my opinion and it’s worth exactly what you are paying for it........ I would get 2 turrets. One for your home elevation and one closer to the elevation you plan to hunt. Or, get one for home and be prepared to check your dope when you get up high to hunt so you know how much you need to correct for the elevation change. There are more factors involved also, such as temp and humidity. Without knowing exactly what you are shooting (rifle and ammo specs), it’s not possible to say what the difference in drop would be from home to the high country. I doubt it’s more than 6”-8” at 500yds and less, but that’s too much when shooting at an animal.

Now, with all that being said, I would not get a custom turret. I would get the appropriate data for my rifle and load, and use a ballistics app on your phone or on a handheld device like a Kestrel. That way you can just input your info and dial the correction, regardless of where you are.....home or high country. Also, when going this route you can use density altitude as your single variable, rather than collecting temp, elevation, and humidity to get your drop correction.

You can use an App on your phone like Shooter. It’s very simple, very user friendly. I’m sure there are others, but that’s the last one I used back when. I use a Kestrel 5700 Elite now and have for several years.

Depends on your bullet, muzzle velocity, the elevation and temperature differences, you can play around with JBM to see what the difference is.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I’m a newbie to long range shooting and I ordered my CDS dial from Leupold based off the FPS listed on my ammo box. It was not accurate. At 300 yards it was low.

I put the MOA dial that came with my Leupold VX5HD back on and I’m just going to use that and make dope cards or use a Ballistic app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
Neither.

Stick with a mil or MOA turret. input your data to get your dope and make drop charts for each location. If you feel the need to make a custom turret, simply wrap the turret with a thin strip of cloth athletic tape and put pen marks at given distances i.e. 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 etc.

Jon Pynch

FNG
Neither.

Stick with a mil or MOA turret. input your data to get your dope and make drop charts for each location. If you feel the need to make a custom turret, simply wrap the turret with a thin strip of cloth athletic tape and put pen marks at given distances i.e. 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 etc.

what he said. just use the standard mil/moa turrets, and get an app for your phone and start to play with different environmental inputs.

don't trust FPS from ammo boxes, make sure you input solid BC for your bullet, accurate velocity from good chronograph, get a good zero, and make sure your scope height is correct.

you could also buy one of the good rangefinders, that give you your exact bullet drop and takes into account all environmentals and angle as well

For most intents and purposes, there is not much of a difference between having a turret and a cheat sheet for dialing as long as the input data was accurate. In both cases, you still can make adjustments due to current environmental factors. In both cases, "garbage in, garbage out" comes to mind.

I have a couple of turrets and I have no complaints. However, the bulk of my rifles I just dial.

Just download the free hornady app,
Switch the temps back and forth that will tell ya.
But I'd just stick to the turret your rifle came with. Use the app and a dope card.

OP
J

jmike

FNG
Thanks for all the great input. I have been reading up on MOA and its seems pretty straight forward. I have been shooting .300 Win Federal Fusion 180 gr. My guns really like this ammo. out to 200yrds it is right at 1" grouping.
I just dont like having to worry about hold over in the heat of the moment. All that being said most of my kill shouts have beeen around 200yds with a max of 350yds one time.

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Horandy 4dof seems most accurate in my experience. It uses form factor instead if bc. Its easiet to true.

I like Applied ballistics also. You have to spend more tinkering in order true.

BallsticArc is nice. Very simple. With several great features. It would require similar tinkering effort past mid range as AB in order to true.

AB and ballistic arc have a simple truing feature, but past 5-600, but further you go out or bigger variables changes you see you need to modify bc and mv in order to align with real DOPE.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk