Twist rates & bullet weights 7mm rem mag

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
My rem783 7mm rem mag has a 1:9.25 twist 24” barrel
It’s looking like it’s kind of picky on bullet weights.
I know that twist rate is better suited for 160grain ish but I was not expecting such horrible results with a bit lighter bullets.

I was burning through some cheap Winchester 150 grain power points for practice ammo. They were like 1.5-2 moa at 100 yards. At 200they were flying everywhere. 4or5 moa idk they were all over the place.
I then shot some Hornady interlock 139s and they were a little better but not great.
I was convinced something was loose until I shot the trusty Bergers and they were still good.
168 Berger hh shoot .75 moa or better @ 100 prone over my pack. 1moa @300 the other day with gusting winds prone with a tripod.
I shot a few 160 grain Norma tipstrikes today sitting with the tripod .9moa @ 200.

I’m wondering if I’ll be wasting my time trying to shoot the Ballistic silver tips I have in 140&150 grain or the 154 interlocks.
I’m assuming my 160 accubonds and 162 eldx will work well.

Is this consistent with what y’all experience when shooting lighter bullets out of a faster twist?

Rob5589

WKR
If you aren't reloading, pick the ammo that shoots well enough for your requirements.

83cj-7

WKR
To answer your question, you can’t over stabilize a bullet. The only exception to that would be driving a small bullet so fast from a fast twist that it vaporizes in mid air. Think 22-250 with an 8 twist barrel shooting 40 grain bullets at 4000fps. I am currently shooting a new Tikka in 7mm that shoots 120s and 168s equally well.

brad407210

Lil-Rokslider
You can go light without problems, my factory barrel likes 120's better than anything and my 1:9" Lilja barrel preferred 150's over 162's. If you can get under 2" with cheap practice loads that's doing good, sometime you luck out and find bottom shelf stuff that a specific rifle likes, but don't worry about shooting under an inch unless you use good quality ammo.

OP
Buffinnut

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
If you aren't reloading, pick the ammo that shoots well enough for your requirements.
I plan on using the Berger 168s and have plenty of those. I was just just trying to work through some of my other ammo for training/practice. The 150s and 139s were so bad I was wasting my time.

OP
Buffinnut

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like I’ll give the other factory ammo a try and keep whatever shoots half decent for practice and sell/trade what this rifle doesn’t like. I was hoping to be able to burn most any loads for practice but apparently not. Have to be more selective with what I buy in the future.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased a custom R Bros 7mm RM, and I plan on using HSM's 180 gr VLD hunting ammo or Hornady's 162 gr ELD-X.

Typically, my decision would be based on what shoot's best, but these days I may be shooting what I can find available.

Last edited:
I have an older 7mm RM that likes 140 Sierra's. I tried some 160 Speer HotCor but didn't get the accuracy I liked. I'm also shooting some old stock Nosler Solid Base 150s at about 1.25" which is alright. I really want to get something in 160gr but have not bought enough bullet types to test. I don't know my exact twist rate.

I just picked up some 160 Nosler AB and they are longer than I expected for a 160. Good looking bullet, I hope it shoots! The range I go to still had 1x 50ct each of 140 AB, 150 Nosler Partition, and 160 AB's. I went for the 160 since I already have a decent 150 grain, and I'll probably go back for the 140's just to try.

I just purchased a custom R Bros 7mm RM, and I plan on using HSM's 180 gr VLD hunting ammo or Hornady's 162 gr ELD-X.

Typically, my decision would be based on what shoot's best, but these days I may be shooting what I can find available.
Great choice on your custom rifle. What’s your barrel’s length and twist rate?

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
Great choice on your custom rifle. What’s your barrel’s length and twist rate?
Build specs:
  • Proof Sendero CF, 26", 8.4 Twist
  • Rogue LW Action, RIGHT HAND
  • Manners EH-1, 13.5" LOP, 3 Studs
  • Jewell Trigger
  • BDL
  • Saddle Cheekpiece
  • Gen II LB Brake
  • 20 MOA 1pc ring/base w/rear level cap
  • Zeiss V6 3-18x50 ZMOA-2 Reticle