Twisting cables/ string to gain lbs

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
Have been chasing the idea of getting an 80lb bow lately and currently shooting an bowtech SR6 and last I knew bowtech didn’t make 80lb limbs. Well google searching I believe it was on AT someone said they were able to get a “heavy poundage” SR6 up to 80lbs by having bulky cables and strings and twisting them. My SR6 is maxed out at 74lbs at the moment so I’m assuming it’s one of the heavier sr6s. Is it even possible to get that much extra out of twisting the cables and strings so much that it maxes out that high? Also, I’m assuming that would have some type of negative affect on the limbs and riser as it wasn’t initially designed for such poundage?

MattB

WKR
You don't get more poundage by twisting the cables and strings. You gain it by twisting the cables, which increases the poundage and the draw length.

MattB is right. You should be able to safely gain 2-3 lbs by twisting cables, I wouldn't get too carried away though. A general rule of thumb is 1 twist per inch. You will need to add twist to the string accordingly to correct d/l. You should gain around 1/2 lb per twist. Keep in mind that you will need to time and tune the bow and may require twisting or untwisting.

OP
RemiR7

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
MattB is right. You should be able to safely gain 2-3 lbs by twisting cables, I wouldn't get too carried away though. A general rule of thumb is 1 twist per inch. You will need to add twist to the string accordingly to correct d/l. You should gain around 1/2 lb per twist. Keep in mind that you will need to time and tune the bow and may require twisting or untwisting.

Surely there’s some type of negative affect of twisting the cables outside of having to re-tune from ground up? Life of string/limbs decrease?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
To the OP, I would be very cautious of taking anyone’s advice on this topic unless you personally know them or trust them based on some other reliable information. Only a few posts on this and some already have outlandish results.

The short answer is don’t try and get 6 pounds out of twisting your current set up. There are legitimate ways to do it, but Twisting isn’t the way.

jmez

WKR
Im gonna find out on a halon 32. Twisted each cable 4 times to get more then the 31.5" of draw length it offered. Feels like about 32.25 now, havent checked lbs yet but very noticable increase. Been a couple weeks now.
You should twist the string to adjust the draw length, not cables.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Personal Experience: Been easy to get 2-3# over rated DW. I had two different Primes come in at 4# over. Not sure I'd want to be the Guinea Pig for going for 5# or more....

The issue is this: Yes, you can do it. But you're stressing the limbs more than their rated deflection / poundage. At some point (no way to tell) you'll get a very, very spectacular failure. Unless we're talking a couple pounds, better to buy a bow rated at the weight you're looking for.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
These types of posts are counter productive for the OP. There are already suggestions or opinions that are half truths or totally impossible. It will get read by many people who will go try some of the nonsense and do more harm than good. The internet, and yes even on Rokslide, have keyboard warriors, hunters, super tune technicians and world class archery champions lurking for a thread like this so they can impress themselves.

OP
RemiR7

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
To the OP, I would be very cautious of taking anyone’s advice on this topic unless you personally know them or trust them based on some other reliable information. Only a few posts on this and some already have outlandish results.

The short answer is don’t try and get 6 pounds out of twisting your current set up. There are legitimate ways to do it, but Twisting isn’t the way.

fortunately I’ve always been the type of person to “trust, but verify” anything regardless who or where it’s coming from as there’s always different experiences/situations with everything. Only thing I could think of was the twisting of cables/ strings to increase weight, but that process is new to me and as already mentioned strings increase DL not DW Which I was unaware as one does one thing and one does the other. I merely wanted maybe some type of feedback and take it to the local shop and bounce them off the techs there and see if any of it makes sense.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
fortunately I’ve always been the type of person to “trust, but verify” anything regardless who or where it’s coming from as there’s always different experiences/situations with everything. Only thing I could think of was the twisting of cables/ strings to increase weight, but that process is new to me and as already mentioned strings increase DL not DW Which I was unaware as one does one thing and one does the other. I merely wanted maybe some type of feedback and take it to the local shop and bounce them off the techs there and see if any of it makes sense.

That is where this thread is full of misinformation already. You can increase and decrease both DW and DL with either the cable or sting or combination of both to affect holding weight, valley length and back wall.

Feel free to call me and I will help you out. There are so many variables out there to say one thing will work for you for your situation.

You won’t be able to go from 74 to 80 without a new cable and string length and determining that would come with have some extra ones you can experiment with to get the correct lengths.

CamClouse

FNG
I have a question I would like to add to this. I am also looking to add a few lbs to my bow and I am thinking off adding some cable twists to do so. Since adding twists to the cables increases DL, can you simply adjust the cams to a shorter DL and still retain the added weight from twisting the cables?
I have also noticed that adding some twists to the string will decrease the DL and weight a bit. So my logic says that adding some twists to the cables and string would negate DL and weight changes. Thoughts on this?
However, by the same logic (which may be wrong, idk) adding twists the cables and removing some twist from the string should add some significant weight and length to the draw.
So, back to my first question, can you make these changes to the cables/strings then change your DL via the cams and retain that added weight?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being that most mods are half inch adjustments, if your draw length is where you like it, I don’t think it would work for you. Getting a half inch out of twisting or untwisting cables and string is a substantial amount. You could end up with to many or to few twists and that can lead to other issues.

Zac

WKR
Is it possible the OP just finished watching a Dudley, or Chris Bee video before making this post?

Brendan

WKR
I've added up to 4# twisting cables on a 70# peak bow, and the most DL I've ever changed is ~1/4" by my measurements.

Although I did have that one 80# prime that came in at 86# off the rack, but I think that was limb deflections...

tpcollins

Lil-Rokslider
You don't get more poundage by twisting the cables and strings. You gain it by twisting the cables, which increases the poundage and the draw length.

I realize this is an older thread but if I have a specific draw length set up with my D-loop, and twisting cables increases my draw length, then wouldn’t I need to adjust the cam to hit “the wall" on my PSE Bow Madness?

And if I’m back to my desired draw length, what affect does the “longer draw length” by twisting the cable have then? Thanks.