Two guns to end them all?

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
A Blaser R8 with a carbon stock in .30-06 and a Z8i scope......no money for a second rifle

So.....you're suggesting an over priced rifle/scope combo to a new member with a profile name "NoobHunter" that asked for advice for a 2 rifle package costing $3,000?

I just checked online and it looks like he would only be able to afford a used Blaser R8 @ $3,000...forget about budgeting for a scope at that point.

Was that an actual recommendation or did you just want to show off what you could afford?

Bcowette

FNG
If I wanted 2 guns to end them all one would be a nice quality AR topped with a nice scope and some flip up sights and the other would be some sort of 30 cal bolt. Probably a 308 or 30 06. I think people way overthink the performance of different rounds. A 30 06 with the right modern projectile is more then enough for about everything in North America

Blaw

WKR
well...if I could only have one with quality glass. I would get a 270, throw on swfa scope, or bushnell LRHS. that 270 hornady precision hunter ammo gets great specs out to 500 yrds which is probably farther than you will ever shoot anything unless your going for a long range setup.

or do the 300wm thing.

Or the 243.....Thing is if your in Canada like me getting OTC tags for moose or elk for rifle can be a challenge depending what zone your in......with a bow its easy peazy

So that leaves deer and black bear....243 takes the cake. I still did the 300wm because I am going to buy a 243 at some point anyway XD

I will throw in my 2 cents. I would go 6.5 Creedmoor/PRC or .270 win then round it out with a .300 Win Mag. You can be under $3000 with two Tikkas and decent glass.

My vote would be a 270 and a 300 win mag. I have that combo, and I have a 7mm-08. If you did want a short action option I’d replace the 270 with a 7-08.

bsnedeker

WKR
I would say a 300 win mag, and another 300 win mag!

Kidding, I've got a 270 and a 300 WM. Suites my needs perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’ll play.

6.5 creedmoor and 338 federal (Short actions)
Or
6.5 PRC and 338 RCM (short mag actions)
Or
6.5 RPM and 338-06 (standard action sizing)

Pick one 6.5 and one .338 above.
I own the short actions but I have tossed around the idea of doing something slightly bigger like the standard action length to still try and strive for ultralights rifles

22lr

WKR
I love these threads because I love taling about my guns!

1st choice, a good 30-06. For me, I'm running a pre-64 Winchester 70 with a Vortex PST scope. Can easily find good user grade rifles for under $800, stick a nice stock on there and a good optic, and your probably right at the $2K mark for a world class rifle. Just make sure you don't drop $800 for one that is going to require a rebarrel. The 30-06 isn't a fancy new cartridge, but it still works phenomenally well on anything that North America has to offer. You will find specialty rounds that are better for almost any specific animal, but almost nothing can provide the versatility for everything. If you never plan to go for Moose or Grizzly, drop down to the 270 or 308 and you can kill anything in the lower 48 with ease (although you will probably find plenty of people who even used 270 for those 2 animals as well). That said, it pains me to write this... the new Win 70 actions are also pretty nice and you can get a similar quality rifle with a much more user friendly stock if you just buy a new one.

2nd choice, a good AR. $1k is going to get you a very nice gun with optic. I have a PSA upper on a self-built lower, maybe $950 in it, including my PST 1-4x scope. My logic for the AR is that it's a good rifle, and the 223 is a great round for anything that you think the 30-06 is too big for. Plus, everyone needs at least one AR in their safe...

I have a lot of other guns in various catridges and actions, but those 2 are my default go to for any hunting trip.

Wapiti1

WKR
A few options to think about.

For the Bavarians among us, 7X64 Brenneke and 9.3X62 Mauser would be about ideal for anything you want to shoot.

If you're into new and shiny, a 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC.

Something a little more fun? A pair of Savage 99's. One in .243 or .308 and one in .358. Same thing in a pair of Winchester 88's would be cool as well. Or the ultimate fun, Winchester 1895's in 30-06 and .405.

The boring nod goes to just getting a 30-06 or .300 Win Mag and spending the rest of the money on another trip somewhere. Or a gift for the girlfriend or wife, that is a good investment if you are a hunter.

Africa is on the list? 30-06 and .375 (Ruger or H&H) in a Ruger Hawkeye or Winchester M70.

Just a few different options that would be good combos.

Jeremy

OP
NoobHunter
I love these threads because I love taling about my guns!

1st choice, a good 30-06. For me, I'm running a pre-64 Winchester 70 with a Vortex PST scope. Can easily find good user grade rifles for under $800, stick a nice stock on there and a good optic, and your probably right at the $2K mark for a world class rifle. Just make sure you don't drop $800 for one that is going to require a rebarrel. The 30-06 isn't a fancy new cartridge, but it still works phenomenally well on anything that North America has to offer. You will find specialty rounds that are better for almost any specific animal, but almost nothing can provide the versatility for everything. If you never plan to go for Moose or Grizzly, drop down to the 270 or 308 and you can kill anything in the lower 48 with ease (although you will probably find plenty of people who even used 270 for those 2 animals as well). That said, it pains me to write this... the new Win 70 actions are also pretty nice and you can get a similar quality rifle with a much more user friendly stock if you just buy a new one.

2nd choice, a good AR. $1k is going to get you a very nice gun with optic. I have a PSA upper on a self-built lower, maybe $950 in it, including my PST 1-4x scope. My logic for the AR is that it's a good rifle, and the 223 is a great round for anything that you think the 30-06 is too big for. Plus, everyone needs at least one AR in their safe...

I have a lot of other guns in various catridges and actions, but those 2 are my default go to for any hunting trip.
I wish I was able to take the second option but I’m in Canada. I can’t even build a nice .308 off a non restricted AR platform now that our prime minister banned everything. A lot of frustrated Canadians right now.

22lr

WKR
I wish I was able to take the second option but I’m in Canada. I can’t even build a nice .308 off a non restricted AR platform now that our prime minister banned everything. A lot of frustrated Canadians right now.

O geez, I missed that part. Ya man, that sucks.

Id probably stick with the 223 theme and say a good 223 (or a .243) bolt gun isnt a bad lower caliper general purpose gun.

WKR
Hey new to the forum here and relatively new to hunting. I currently just hunt deer with my Marlin 30-30 but I’m looking to broaden my big game options with a couple new lighter rifles. Something for bear and Moose, and then something for everything smaller than that. What I was thinking about was the Tikka T3x in 30-06 and 6.5 creed, each with a vortex diamondback or viper mounted on top. Either that or the Hells Canyon series.
I have a $3000 budget for all this. Any thoughts, advice or alternate suggestions from the all wise ones would be much appreciated. Thanks.
P.s I’m in Close to the Rockies in Canada
After all the advice, you had it right in your head to start with. Good luck, fill up a truck or two.