"Two Legged Predator" Encounters?

matthewmt

WKR
Agreed. Glock 20 isnt a "people" gun. If you want one for just that carry a 9 or 40.

Say I wanted a concealed carry wheel gun. What's a good option there? .357/ .38 spcl /.380? Not too expensive.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I'd go hammerless j frame .357 S&W has a 642 I believe for 369$ maybe cheaper.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

spaniel

FNG
I hunt a couple properties owned by a retired game warden. When he first walked me through them, he asked me if I had a pistol and a carry permit. Because if I didn't, he didn't want me hunting there. They had issues with slow-minded neighbors, and meth cookers (those two classes not mutually exclusive). A high powered rifle is not much use is a meth head gets the jump on you and disarms you. So it's always good to have a concealed piece on you.

I've had a few contentious encounters, but nothing that made me feel like the concealed piece may become necessary. But I'm not far removed from people who have. My choice is a 10mm. I have used it as a primary or backup on game on occasion.

Had a friend who was bird hunting on private land and encountered a trespasser in a climbing tree stand bowhunting. Informed him he was trespassing, and needed to lead immediately. Bowhunter drew down on him and threatened to kill him. So friend clicked off the safety and put the bead of his 12 gauge on the guy's chest, and said he had 2 seconds to let down the bow or he'd shoot. Guy let down and ended up arrested, prosecuted, and convicted.

I also carry a G20, depending on whereabouts it's either hardcast, 200gr XTPs, or 180gr XTPs, all handloads. Shot hardcast in the stock barrel a few times, but use aftermarket because it's easier on my brass with nuke level loads. Also have an 8.5" barreled AR in 10mm that I keep in the truck at times. The way I did the gas system makes it shoot like a .22 even with nasty rounds

*zap*

WKR
Daily I carry a sig p-250 full size in 9 and 2 spare 17 mags. Bowhunting I mostly carry a Kahr pm9 with 6+1 in a pocket holster when it is colder. Warmer weather I will use a belt holster for the Kahr. No non-human predators here to worry about.

SWOHTR

WKR
Daily I carry a sig p-250 full size in 9 and 2 spare 17 mags. Bowhunting I mostly carry a Kahr pm9 with 6+1 in a pocket holster when it is colder. Warmer weather I will use a belt holster for the Kahr. No non-human predators here to worry about.

You carry 51 rounds on your person DAILY?! What kind of war are you expecting to break out...Red Dawn? When I stood watch on the ship we didn’t even carry that many!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
52, actually. If that's a problem for you just tough it out. Its not a problem for me.

Last edited:

MtGomer

WKR
In the last couple weeks bowhunting in AZ I’ve found a lookout point with water, food, blankets, radios, batteries, chargers etc that scouts have been using to direct smuggling traffic in the valley below and dozens of black water bottles, plastic and burlap for narcotics packages, more blankets, food waste, etc.
I’m not really afraid of the ‘looking for a better life’ immigrant but out in the remote desert and 60 miles from the border (even north of I8) it is organized smuggling. I worry mostly about a dehydrated, desperate and armed person wanting my vehicle or running into a load of dope and seeing too much.
I know chances are slim, but all the garbage left in the desert didn’t get there on it’s own
I’m carrying a gun.

2ski

WKR
Read up about the Mountain men in MT that kidnapped an Olympic athlete in Big Sky MT. They had stashes around the mountains. Crazy. Makes you wonder if anyone is still up there living like that.

matthewmt

WKR
Read up about the Mountain men in MT that kidnapped an Olympic athlete in Big Sky MT. They had stashes around the mountains. Crazy. Makes you wonder if anyone is still up there living like that.

I'd garuantee it,

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I had 1 encounter with drunken campers at a rustic campground. Their stories didn’t match up and just made me uneasy. When they went to get another beer I hurriedly threw all my stuff in my car and left. I lost my favorite camp chair that night. I spend a lot of time solo either hiking riding my dirt bike or hunting and always feel a little better when I have my Glock I have had coyotes surround me in the night and I woke to them about 20 feet from me. I was happy when they turned around when I shouted. But it is people that I worry about more then the animals

In at least 3 occasions i have ran into a situation with people who made me feel like i couldve used more peotection.. one a methhead freak in the walmart parking lot in Kingman AZ, huge peoblem there. Walked up on me as i was busy packing up my truck after buying hunting licenses. Spooked me slightly especially when i told him No, i dont have any handouts for you. Second incident was in Canada when my dad and I were robbed while out fishing by some local scum of the earth rednecks. Driving out of there with the chance of running inro those guys was scary, not to mention being unarmed. Third was in Sheridan Wyoming with a rancher who decided the state land was his and came up cussing and swearing and raising my blood pressure to 10. Rifle was at ready with that son of a bitch.

There has been other times as well with a denned up sow black bear. I am just fortunate nothing has gone bad for me, i respect the idea of keeping a weapon on hand.

*zap*

WKR
Better to have and not need than to need and not have......proper training and realistic practice is very important. Being able to access your handgun is also important as most folks that will do you harm do not call ahead for an appointment. I try to never have more than one layer over it and will use a good pocket carry holster with the Kahr pm9 when that is not practical.

Stay safe.